It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: OTR QUESTION #27
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:15 am 
JDZ Moderator

Sal and Dean often talk about TIME and IT. How would you interpret their meanings? Example pg. 209: “…the point being that we know what IT is and we know TIME and we know that everything is really FINE.”

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:14 am 

Making a stab at this one.......a dissection of sorts.

Also on p209: "they have worries, they're counting the miles, they're thinking about where to sleep tonight, how much money for gas, the weather, how they'll get there--and all the time they'll get there anyway, you see. But they need to worry and betray time with urgencies..."

..."their souls really won't be at peace unless they can latch on to an established and proven worry..."

---------------------

I am not sure what "knowing IT" means. Maybe it is when you get a revelation......a feeling that all the pieces fit.

Worrying about things doesn't do anything except to make you miss what is going on at the PRESENT TIME....like robbing time. So if you know that everything is going to work out one way or the other without worrying, that is knowing that everything will be FINE. An inner peace? A whatever happens, happens attitude. Go with the flow of life. Handle things when they come up but don't worry about what may happen in advance. Doing so robs you of peace and enjoyment of the present time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:22 pm 
I think that "IT" is just that - it. Like when you say, "I get it." IT is the answer we're all looking for. The whole purpose of existence. The point of being.

Now to devulge a bit of personal information. When I was younger, much younger, a friend of mine somehow had access to nitrous oxide, laughing gas. Another friend of mine, a medical student at the time (and now, by the way an anethesiologist) said that the laughing gas itself was not dangerous, but you had to be careful to not fall over & hit your head or otherwise cause injury to yourself. The point of this being, after inhaling the gas, there was a feeling of euphoria, but even more so (and everyone who did this with us had the same experience) there was this understanding in your own mind that you go IT. You totally understood IT. And when you came back down you were going to explain IT to everyone else. Problem was, when you did come down IT escaped you.

Tying this in to Johnny, which I always love to do, he has explained numerous times that he got IT when his daughter was born. Sometimes just getting older brings you around to discovering IT. Some people never do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:27 pm 
Say, Liz, where on the central coast are you? That's my favorite area. We vacationed yearly at a small beach town named Cayucos, know it? Love that whole stretch from Morro Bay to Monterey.

Post subject: IT
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:53 pm 

Nice answers all around!

I think you all are right on the money bout IT. Kind of like what we say about Johnny, either you get "it" or you don't. When Sal and Dean and Carlo do their benzydrine talks discussin every nuance of every word in every sentence I think that is their attempt to get to the root of their feelings and souls, to get to "IT".

Pamela, I think your reference to the laughing gas incident would resonate for many of us who grew up in the 60's. I think that is what the drug culture was all about.

Quote:
Gypselee said--Worrying about things doesn't do anything except to make you miss what is going on at the PRESENT TIME....like robbing time.

I like that explanation and I think it is very true! Coming from a natural born worrier like myself I can relate.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:32 pm 

Pamela wrote:
I think that "IT" is just that - it. Like when you say, "I get it." IT is the answer we're all looking for. The whole purpose of existence. The point of being.

Tying this in to Johnny, which I always love to do, he has explained numerous times that he got IT when his daughter was born. Sometimes just getting older brings you around to discovering IT. Some people never do.

Now why didn't I get IT like that. That is so basic and true. I think we sometimes dig too deep when the answer is right under our nose. :ohyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:58 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Gypsylee wrote:
Now why didn't I get IT like that. That is so basic and true. I think we sometimes dig too deep when the answer is right under our nose. :ohyes:

Like I said earlier, I make things more complicated than they need to be. :eyebrow:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:03 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Pamela wrote:
Say, Liz, where on the central coast are you? That's my favorite area. We vacationed yearly at a small beach town named Cayucos, know it? Love that whole stretch from Morro Bay to Monterey.

I love that stretch, too. But I'm further north in the Santa Cruz Mountains outside of Scotts Valley. OK all you Scotts Valley teens, I'm out of the closet now. :ohno:

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]