Kerouac - The Beat Goes On

Moderator: Liz

Bohemian

Kerouac - The Beat Goes On

Unread postby Bohemian » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:06 am

In honor of the 50th anniversary of On the Road, here is an article and pictures from The Boston Globe, July 15th. The author takes on his own journey, retracing Kerouac's steps.
http://www.boston.com/travel/articles/2007/07/15/the_beat_goes_on/
"I feel sullied and unusual..."

"What do I want for the future? I know exactly what I want, everything: calm, peace, tranquillity, freedom, fun, happiness. If I could make all that one word, I would - a many-syllabled word."

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:33 am

Thanks Bohemian, very interesting. I think we'd all like to take our own On The Road journey. Well, at least I would.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:47 am

KYwoman wrote:Thanks Bohemian, very interesting. I think we'd all like to take our own On The Road journey. Well, at least I would.

Thanks Bohemian, for sharing this. :cloud9: KYwoman, a personal On The Road journey, sounds great.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:59 am

Thanks, Bohemian! Here is a copy of the map the author is following. I also just heard about a new book coming out in August titled "Why Kerouac Matters: The Lessons of 'On the Road' (They're Not What You Think), by John Leland. I wish we still had all our archival material from our discussion of On The Road. Unfortunately it was lost in a computer crash. :banghead:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:18 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Thanks, Bohemian! Here is a copy of the map the author is following. I also just heard about a new book coming out in August titled "Why Kerouac Matters: The Lessons of 'On the Road' (They're Not What You Think), by John Leland. I wish we still had all our archival material from our discussion of On The Road. Unfortunately it was lost in a computer crash. :banghead:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/DITHOT/ONBC/kerouac-map.jpg

I also read, a while back, that they will be coming out with On The Road near the end of this year. They will be restoring some material cut from the original issue. :bounce: I have never read this book and am waiting to get the new edition.

Quoted picture changed to URL link.
~theresa

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:47 pm

Thanks for the info on the new edition, shadowydog. I had not heard about the new edition! I bet I know someone we would like to see write an introduction to said edition!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:14 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Thanks for the info on the new edition, shadowydog. I had not heard about the new edition! I bet I know someone we would like to see write an introduction to said edition!

Oh DITHOTbaba!!....be still my heart :heart: wouldn't that be the livin' end!! A dream come true. :cloud9:

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

rainbowsoul

Unread postby rainbowsoul » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:12 pm

There are actually TWO new editions of the book coming out as this year is the 50th anniversary of its first printing. One is a hardcover edition special printing and the other edition is supposed to be more accurate to the format in which the book was originally written (as a scroll and using the real names of the characters Kerouac based the story around but which were remoevd when it was printed)

Here are the links for both editions on Amazon:

The 50th Anniversary HardCover Edition

http://www.amazon.com/Road-50th-Anniversary-Jack-Kerouac/dp/0670063266/ref=pd_bbs_12/105-8428557-7513218?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184620041&sr=8-12

The Original Scroll Edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Original-Scroll-Jack-Kerouac/dp/067006355X/ref=pd_bbs_4/105-8428557-7513218?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184620041&sr=8-4

I already have mine pre-ordered which is why I knew the answer to this! :blush: The date they are due out is August 16th.
No! Not Barker. That man is dead. It's Todd, now. Sweeney Todd. And he shall have his revenge...

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:59 pm

Thanks for the info, rainbowsoul! Very cool...two new editions! :cool: :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Mrs.Nobody

Unread postby Mrs.Nobody » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:57 pm

I have a great audio version read by Matt Dillion. It is well done. I thought after hearing someone read for 10 CD's worth of book I would be sick of them but he reads it well and also seems to bring out the things that Jack was trying most to convey...the freedom...the appreciation for life, for all things large and small. The drinking and the drugs are not highlighted just read as a matter of fact like. I recommend it for anyone that may have to comute to work or has to travel alot. Audio books can be great in those situations. :cool:
He has a way of huddling down under his hat and his totemsBut when the camera was on him, some of the times, he kind of beamed Johnny out It was striking, like one of those magic powers in those hobbit movies.John Richardson Esquire Magazine

Sioux

Unread postby Sioux » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:35 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Thanks, Bohemian! Here is a copy of the map the author is following. I also just heard about a new book coming out in August titled "Why Kerouac Matters: The Lessons of 'On the Road' (They're Not What You Think), by John Leland. I wish we still had all our archival material from our discussion of On The Road. Unfortunately it was lost in a computer crash. :banghead:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/DITHOT/ONBC/kerouac-map.jpg

Wow! Excellent, thanks DITHOT! I'll be watching for that book. I simply adored On The Road, so I can't wait for this one. I'll be interested to see what the author has to say about why Kerouac matters. :eyebrow:

:chill: :pray:
I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face ~ J.D.

"Nobody move! I've dropped me brain!"

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:12 pm

Wow, this is all so cool and gives me something to look forward to. Thanks for all the info everyone. :thanks!: And sorry about that computer crash. :blush:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:42 pm

Thank you Rainbowsoul! And the whole ONBC group for the heads up.

Our library had On The Road The Original Scroll on order so I placed a request for it. Very cool! :cool:
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:38 pm

Another Kerouac book I found while looking at the library for the Scroll book. I just got it a few days ago and have read most of it. It is called Departed Angels, Jack Kerouac the lost paintings, text by Ed Adler.

It is very interesting and an eye opener for me. I think you may like it, check it out!
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid

and the envious."

John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:25 pm

I just picked up a free copy of Carolyn Cassady's Off The Road. I think I remember someone mentioning it when we read OTR. Has anyone read it?

(Free books. One of the perks of living in what Money magazine just called the 17th best small community in the country. Ok, it only happens once a year, but still.)

Return to “Kerouac and The Beats”