Beat Tour Revisited - Six Gallery

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Beat Tour Revisited - Six Gallery

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:30 pm

The Six Gallery and Other Places of Interest

On October 7, 1955 (the day after Dharma_bum & I were born) at Six Gallery, Allen Ginsberg read for the first time in public his infamous poem, “Howl”. In attendance that night were Jack Kerouac and Neal Cassady. The poem was dedicated to Carl Solomon, a friend Ginsberg had made at Rockland, a mental hospital in upstate New York. The night of the reading Allen Ginsberg and Jack Kerouac, who was Ginsberg’s house guest at the time, left Allen’s house on Milvia Street in North Berkeley and took a bus to San Francisco. They then caught a ride with Lawrence Ferlinghetti in his Aston Martin to the Six Gallery (a combination art gallery and performance space) for a reading of six poets. Word has it that William Carlos Williams introduced Ginsberg that night, referring to the work as “an arresting poem”. Little did he know. Jack, jug of wine in hand, yelled “Go!” at the end of some of the long lines. Below is a link to “Howl”. Scroll about half way down the page.

http://www.rooknet.com/beatpage/writers/ginsberg.html

The site of the former Six Gallery is located at 3119 Filmore St. What is interesting is that neither Six Gallery nor the address exist anymore. 3119 is now 3115 (according to it’s current residents) and is now a trendy furniture store.

Other places of interest in San Francisco:

Jack Kerouac’s former house (which some of us saw as we whizzed by on the cable car) at 29 Russell Street:

The flat in which Allen Ginsberg resided while writing “Howl” at 1010 Montgomery:

Tomorrow our last stop: The Beat Museum
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:41 pm

I love the different styles of architecture..SF looks fascinating :cool: ..
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:24 pm

The architecture is definitely one of my favorite things about SF.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

askmewhy

What a trip!

Unread postby askmewhy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:59 pm

YOU ROCK LIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Liz, in case I didn't say it, thank you so much for the guided tour around San Francisco! The background research you did before we got there enabled us to take in all the sites I have heard and read about all my life. You took us from spot to spot to spot and I am so incredibly grateful to you for the experience.

Thanks for recapping everything in detail and adding all of this information, I am just blown away. There is so much history there and to see it first hand was so awesome. Oh, and the company could not have been better - sharing the experience with 5 fellow Zoners, well it just doesn't get any better!! :slick:

When we went to the site of Six Gallery and stood there trying to figure out the addresses, I got a really humble feeling. The feeling was that the city of San Francisco cherished that site so much that they "retired" the address for all eternity. That may not be the case, but that is how I am going to think of it for ever.
Thou shalt not commit adulthood!

Johnny, what's your favorite word?
~WHY~

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: What a trip!

Unread postby Liz » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:57 pm

askmewhy wrote:When we went to the site of Six Gallery and stood there trying to figure out the addresses, I got a really humble feeling. The feeling was that the city of San Francisco cherished that site so much that they "retired" the address for all eternity. That may not be the case, but that is how I am going to think of it for ever.

Thanks, Askmewhy. I'm going to hold onto that thought, too. I don't think it is so farfetched. After all, it is San Francisco. :grin:

Return to “Kerouac and The Beats”