Beat Tour Revisited - OTR Scroll

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Beat Tour Revisited - OTR Scroll

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:50 pm

Since we have been discussing the scroll in the Monday Night Thread, I think it best to share that part of the tour today.

SF Public Library

On Saturday, March 11, six Depp Divas headed to the San Francisco Public Library to witness one of the most awesome sights that we’ve ever seen. The scroll was displayed in a long glass case that spanned the entire room—we’re guessing about 100 pages of the book. The rest was rolled up. I was surprised to find out that this was the entire scroll in front of me because I had been under the impression that it was just a portion of it. There were no lights directed toward the scroll—we’re assuming in order to preserve it.

It was interesting to see how worn the pages were, the use of a manual typewriter and his penciled in changes. Although his printed words were very neat, they were very small and almost impossible to read. What we found the most interesting were the passages he crossed out, that never made it into the final version. In one passages he alluded to himself having had an affair with Hal Chase’s (Chad King in the book) wife (Peaches in the book) and expressed that he thought Hal had gotten over it. In another he expressed some feelings he had for his Mexican girlfriend, Bea (Terry in the book). This was what Askmewhy thought about it:
There was a beautiful passage about him holding Bea that he crossed out and I really wondered why, like maybe it was too revealing or something. But he wrote how much he loved her while he held her and that this was "just the beginning, it was far from finished," The words were just beautiful, I wish I had written them down. Also it was interesting to note that he had used all the real names of the characters, not giving them their fictitious names yet.

The rest of the exhibit included his books from personal collections in a glass case, large photos on the wall of all the real characters from the book and their corresponding fictitious names, a TV playing documentaries about him, personal photos of Jack from young adulthood until his passing and other beat information and memorabilia.

It was a very interesting exhibit. I highly recommend it to anyone who has access to it.

Here is a link to a high resolution picture of the scroll.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Liz-ONBC/Beats/OTRscroll-hirez.jpg
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:11 pm

So the pics of the scroll here on the thread were not pics you guys took, right? I thought it was stretched out like you said in your description. I'm willing to bet they don't allow photos for preservation reasons?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:11 pm

Wow! The photos of the scroll are amazing.......thanks for sharing.

I looked at the schedule earlier today, Omaha Nebraska may have been lucky enough to have several theaters show the Libertine this weekend, but there are no stops for the scroll scheduled here. Too bad! We have a museum that is affiliated with the Smithsonian and it has traveling exhibits -- this would be perfect for it. :-/ Guess we can't have everything.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:48 pm

nebraska wrote:Wow! The photos of the scroll are amazing.......thanks for sharing.

I looked at the schedule earlier today, Omaha Nebraska may have been lucky enough to have several theaters show the Libertine this weekend, but there are no stops for the scroll scheduled here. Too bad! We have a museum that is affiliated with the Smithsonian and it has traveling exhibits -- this would be perfect for it. :-/ Guess we can't have everything.

I think we are all really lucky to be able to see The Libertine in as many theaters as we have, considering.

And DITHOT, no we were not allowed to take pics of the exhibit. :bawl: I got those pics off of the internet.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

askmewhy

wow

Unread postby askmewhy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:01 am

Even though that was a picture from the net, I had to read the words to know it was not the section we saw. The scroll we saw looked exactly like that. Can you imagine seeing 120 feet of that? Truly incredible.

Nebraska, the manuscript will be in Denver, just a short flight or drive for you. ;-)
Thou shalt not commit adulthood!

Johnny, what's your favorite word?
~WHY~

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:43 am

Thanks so much Liz!

While googling to find out if it will be near me, I found this.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/DESTINATIONS/01/15/kerouac.scroll.ap/
WOW!
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:08 pm

I've just found some pics of the opening of the exhibit in San Francisco.

Jim Cassady unrolling the scroll

Cassadys Jim, Carolyn & John

Cathy & Jami Cassady (Neal's daughters)

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:29 pm

Great pics, Liz! It makes me wonder how many times it can safely be unrolled. It seems like it would be so fragile by now.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:54 pm

WOW. Just ... beautiful! Sounds like an amazing exhibit. I would have loved to see even half of those features, nevermind the scroll. But I'm SO glad ya'll were able to see that, and experience it together. Thanks so much for posting this account and the pictures!

Return to “Kerouac and The Beats”