The Beat Tour - Revisited - Vesuvio

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

The Beat Tour - Revisited - Vesuvio

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:08 pm

In honor of Jack Kerouac’s 84th Birthday yesterday and in keeping with our stream of consciousness choice for this month, The Ginger Man, dubbed as “the Irish On The Road”, I have decided to do a mini Beat Tour. I took the Noodlemantras on a tour in 2004 prior to our reading On The Road, but many of your weren’t around then. This past weekend 5 other Zoners took the tour with me in San Francisco. This is the first installment in our series.

On October 17, 1955, Neal Cassady, the real life Dean Moriarty of the quintessential Beat classic On the Road, stopped at Vesuvio on the way to the now legendary Six Gallery for a poetry reading, and the place has never been the same. It became a regular hangout of Jack Kerouac and other famous Beat poets and has become ground zero for pilgrims on the Beat trail ever since…..and now Depp Divas.

Vesuvio is located at 255 Columbus Avenue. Basically, you walk out of City Lights Bookstore (more on that tomorrow), turn right and you are there. You have to cross Jack Kerouac Alley to get there, though. Established in 1948, Vesuvio was a frequent hangout of the Beats. Very cool place! Very bohemian. On the outside wall in the alley is a very colorful mural. Inside there are pics of Jack and Neal on the walls, a typical SF dark wood bar and Tiffany lamps.

The bartender in Vesuvio yesterday was very hospitable, asking where we were from and our purpose for the visit. We avoided the JD connection but mentioned Jack’s birthday. He replied sheepishly, “I should know that.”

One night in 1960 Jack Kerouac missed an opportune moment because he couldn’t seem to tear himself away from Vesuvio. He had planned to drive down to Big Sur that day to meet Henry Miller, another controversial author. Miller had written Kerouac that he enjoyed “The Dharma Bums” and would enjoy a visit from Jack. Unfortunately, Jack continued to drink the night away, calling Miller every hour to tell him that he was delayed in leaving the City. They never met that night.

The Vesuvio of today attracts a diverse clientele: artists, chess players, cab drivers, seamen, business people, European visitors, off-duty exotic dancers and Depp Divas. In 2004 (the year of my last tour) one of the European visitors was Earl Charles Spencer, brother of Princess Di (and we all know to whom he is related). He and his wife stopped in for a drink because she wanted to show the Earl some of the places she used to frequent when she lived in the City. This year Donovan stopped by. Vesuvio has made appearances in at least 2 movies—“High Crimes” with Ashley Judd and “Enough” with JLo.

Donovan at a table at Vesuvio with his books :cool:

Vesuvio’s House Drinks:

The Jack Kerouac – rum, tequila, orange/cranberry juice, lime served in a bucket glass

Bohemian Coffee – brandy, amaretto and a twist of lemon

Here are some Depp Divas with their Bohemian Coffees…..

DepplySmitten, Luvdepp, Gypsylee, Liz, Dharma_bum & Askmewhy
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:41 pm

What a great trip you guys had! I'll assume y'all are not the women referred to in the sign under Jack's pic on the wall. :lol: I am really surprised that the bartender at Vesuvio didn't know it was Jack's birthday! :-O He definitely should have known that. :thumbsdown: On the other hand, the Depp Divas seem to be celebrating the occasion in the appropriate manner! :cool:

That's Donovan?
:yikes:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:45 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:What a great trip you guys had! I'll assume y'all are not the women referred to in the sign under Jack's pic on the wall. :lol:

Who us? Bite your tongue. :-|

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:48 pm

:grin:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:33 pm

Thanks for posting this again,Liz :bounce: ..I never saw this before..I would LOVE to go there...just my sort of place and fancy rubbing shoulders with Donovan..I read those words on the wall...the''tautly muscled Indian warrior'' got me thinking of Johnny in the Bahamas[I know,I'm shallow :-O ]
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:36 pm

gilly wrote:Thanks for posting this again,Liz :bounce: ..I never saw this before..I would LOVE to go there...just my sort of place and fancy rubbing shoulders with Donovan..I read those words on the wall...the''tautly muscled Indian warrior'' got me thinking of Johnny in the Bahamas[I know,I'm shallow :-O ]

Join the club, Gilly. :grin:

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:09 am

We had quite the discussion about that Bohemian coffee didn't we? Some felt there was no coffee in it, but it was pointed out that if that was ALL booze we wouldn't be able to walk out of the place. So we asked the bartender and he confirmed that yes, indeed, there is coffee in it. I couldn't taste any coffee though :grin:
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:17 am

I still question the bartender. :grin:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:03 am

Great pictures :cool:

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:41 am

Thanks for sharing your tour and pic with us ~ it's lovely ! What a fun day that must have been ~
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:45 am

Thanks Liz and depp-gals for sharing. Great pics and fun times indeed!! I guess that Bohemian Coffee wouldn't be 'bohemian' if you tasted the coffee. ;-)
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

askmewhy

What???

Unread postby askmewhy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:18 pm

Gypsylee wrote:We had quite the discussion about that Bohemian coffee didn't we? Some felt there was no coffee in it, but it was pointed out that if that was ALL booze we wouldn't be able to walk out of the place. So we asked the bartender and he confirmed that yes, indeed, there is coffee in it. I couldn't taste any coffee though :grin:

Tasted like normal coffee to me.
Thou shalt not commit adulthood!

Johnny, what's your favorite word?
~WHY~

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:54 pm

This is so nice to read about, Liz and all. I love the idea of you all meeting up. I love the way that JD has caused so many of us to step outsuide our boxes.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:58 pm

Endora wrote:This is so nice to read about, Liz and all. I love the idea of you all meeting up. I love the way that JD has caused so many of us to step outsuide our boxes.

Endora, that is so true!!! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Gypsylee

Re: What???

Unread postby Gypsylee » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:34 pm

askmewhy wrote:
Gypsylee wrote:We had quite the discussion about that Bohemian coffee didn't we? Some felt there was no coffee in it, but it was pointed out that if that was ALL booze we wouldn't be able to walk out of the place. So we asked the bartender and he confirmed that yes, indeed, there is coffee in it. I couldn't taste any coffee though :grin:

Tasted like normal coffee to me.

Can always count on you, AskMeWhy, to make me laugh!
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

Return to “Kerouac and The Beats”