Monday Night Thread - Reminiscing about the last 3 years

Moderator: Liz

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:08 pm

Liz wrote:Fansmom, when we started discussing SWSG, I thought that would be the only book. :lol:

Me too!

I like having the list of what we've discussed, Liz. I can look back over it and think, "Oh yes, I read that on the beach," and "Was that really three years ago?"

And I have a fourth book to add to my top three. :blush: I loved Good Omens.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:17 pm

I think it's great that so many have different favorites. I am always impressed that we have lurkers and participants who have English as a second language. :notworthy:

San, thanks for you comment about the archives. It's nice to know they are being read! :cool:

fansmom, are you up for 22 more?
:bounce:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:55 pm

Liz and DITHOT, Thank you for all the time, energy and love you put into ONBC. You guys are amazing! You must get it from Johnny!

I was surprised that there were 22 books...and even more surprised that there were only 3 of them I didn't read,,,,yet!!! But I did follow along with the tidbits and the discussion....even when I was a lurker.

Thank you (and Johnny) for bringing me to Shantaram and Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Cllimates... and for returning me to Hunter and his writing. Loved The Lost Boys and re-reading Peter Pan.... As many have said, I've read books that would never have made it to my book pile and loved every page of them!

Now, I, too, have to get my hands on a copy of Bandini!!
bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:57 pm

Hey there, bluebird! :wave: Good to see you here. We are looking forward to seeing you for the Bandini disucssion. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:00 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:fansmom, are you up for 22 more? :bounce:

You bet! :cool:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:01 pm

fansmom wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:fansmom, are you up for 22 more? :bounce:

You bet! :cool:

:highfive:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:11 pm

Hi Bluebird! :wave:

Johnny is definitely our inspiration.
:notworthy:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:36 am

Congratulations Liz and DITHOT !
Mostly I don't read the English books but I do read the tidbits and discussions and find them very interesting ! I loved the Shantaram discussion . I wish I could participate more in the discussion but with somany wonderfull smart ladies around here I have little to add in my school-English :blush:
I hope to enjoy and lurk around here for a long time :cool:
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:38 am

Thanks for lurking, Ibbi. But I bet you'd have lots to add.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:46 pm

It's pretty sad when it takes someone until Wednesday to participate in the Monday night thread, but I just couldn't not say Happy Birthday to ONBC and thank you again to DITHOT and Liz!

I just spent some time browsing the Archives for my all-time favorite Monday night thread, but I couldn't find it. It was the one where we made a list of the 50(or was it less?) songs that would be the sound track for our lives. . .or something like that. That one went on for weeks with more and more people posting. Great fun!

I would have to pick Shantaram as my favorite discussion, but it is also my first and the one that made me come out of lurk-dom finally, so it was special for those reasons. The discussion - and book - I was most surprised at liking so much was A Long Way Down. The more we talked about it, the more depth there was.

It has been an amazing couple years with an awesome group of women. I hope we're still at it 3 years from now. Wonder where Johnny will lead us next. . .?
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:56 pm

It's never too late, Bix. The 31 Songs MNT, inspired by Nick Hornby, was my favorite too. Here's the link to the thread:

http://johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=21070

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:17 pm

Thanks for the link, Liz! I just took a quick glance and realize I'm going to have to come back later and read through the whole thing again. I had forgotten the magic number was 31. What fun! I know I worked on my list for days and now, for the life of me, can't think why I chose some of those songs! :lol:
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:27 pm

Thanks Noodlemantras, Liz and DITHOT, for the work you put into all things ONBC. Twenty-two books??? Wow! I have to say I've learned something with each discussion and tidbit.

I enjoyed Perfume, Shantaram, FIHFHC and Fear & Loathing, but I really just love books and discussing them. It's a great pleasure to come to this part of the Zone and I thank goodness Johnny loves to read, albeit some off center works, but that's one of the reasons why I love him. Looking forward to many more good reads!!

:reader:
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:09 pm

Bix wrote:It's pretty sad when it takes someone until Wednesday to participate in the Monday night thread, but I just couldn't not say Happy Birthday to ONBC and thank you again to DITHOT and Liz!

Where does that leave me? Right where I belong--in the lazy and negligent category! Sorry!
The amazing Shantaram was my favorite book, but I think my favorite discussions are those in which we get into trying to figure out the psychology of the characters, like WEGG. The insights are fascinating. I haven't been around for all 22 books but definitely plan to catch up on some of those early ones after reading everyone's comments about them.
I love it that we can't be wrong :grin: and that we feel free to disagree, but no one gets disagreeable. :cool:
With the great tidbits and reading books I never would have opened otherwise, I feel I'm getting educated. Loved making the song list.....'twas an insight into myself. And the Q & A with Darlene Cates and the authors--unbelievable! :cloud9:
Thanks so much to Liz and DITHOT for making it all possible and to all you brilliant contributors!! :bouquet:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:09 am

Sorry to be so late but I was away so I think I have an excuse :lol:
Can't recall which book I first joined in with I think it was Shantaram and I enjoyed the discussion very much . I have enjoyed mostly those I have joined in with although sometimes it pushes my little grey cells a little too much sometimes ,and reminds me why I don't like analysing books or are unable to do so very well, a problem I had at school which meant I failed my A level English :-/
At least its made me read some books I wouldn't have bothered with otherwise. Mind you sometimes this is a good thing sometimes a bad things but then thats the point.
Thanks DITHOT and Liz, and thanks to Johnny for inspiring our reading, Happy Anniversary :cool:

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”