Monday Night Thread - Reminiscing about the last 3 years

Moderator: Liz

Heather_Hanson

Unread postby Heather_Hanson » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:08 am

So far I've been here for 5 months, and love and cherish every minute I can be here. When I wake up in the morning the place I want to be is the zone. It keeps me happy when I talk with all of you on the MT or about Johnny news. So I thank you all for putting up with me. :grin: :hug:

EDIT: For the time I've been here I loved the Darlene Cates Q&A. :cool:
"This is the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow!" - CJS
"Fuhgetaboutit." - Donnie Brasco

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:29 am

Heather, we're glad you are here too. Glad you enjoyed the Darlene Cates Q&A.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Heather_Hanson

Unread postby Heather_Hanson » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:31 am

Liz wrote:Heather, we're glad you are here too. Glad you enjoyed the Darlene Cates Q&A.

Thank you! :hug:
"This is the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow!" - CJS
"Fuhgetaboutit." - Donnie Brasco

Red Shoes

Unread postby Red Shoes » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:28 am

22 books! Wow, well done ladies! :-)

I've only joined in with three of those - Happy Days, The People's Act of Love and Gilbert Grape. My favourite of those was TPAOL which I thought was a completely fascinating and intriguing story.

I'm so sad that I wasn't around for the Shantaram discussion, as I've now read that and fallen totally in love with it!

I'm sorry I haven't been around for the last month or so (real life has a way of being so bothersome sometimes!) to join in with The Bomb in my Garden. I will try to find that at the library this week though and see if I can catch up.

Mind you, I'll have to put aside David Copperfield which I'm reading at the moment, and then interrupt both with the new Harry Potter in a couple of weeks.... aaah, so much to read!!!! (and I wouldn't have it any other way!)

Thanks so much to the gorgeously wonderfully amazingly hardworking and dedicated Liz and DiTHoT for all the Noodlemantrish goodness! :heart: :ONBC: :heart:
"It's good to be different."

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:39 am

Congratulations Liz and DITHOT! Can it already be three years and 22 books - I guess only our local librarians and credit cards will really know!

Johnny said that 'there is nothing else like music' well I say there is nothing else like the printed word! Because of Johnny I found the Zone and because of ONBC I stayed. Both Johnny and you good ladies here continue to inspire me and have often encouraged me to read outside my comfort zone though I must say that our J.M.Barrie discussion was my favorite as it took me to The Lost Boys, our Q&A with Mr. Birkin and of course Peter Pan.

While I don't post as often as I have or would like to I pop in at odd times and catch up - so many thanks for the archive portion of the book club. Garden just arrived and Bandini I hear is on hold - maybe I can sneak Harry Potter inbetween (now there's an interesting assortment of readings)?!

Again, CONGRATULATIONS, Liz and DITHOT for three years of inspired titles, conversation and leadership.
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:22 am

Thanks, everyone for your well wishes and especially for your participation in our discussions! The great thing about ONBC is you can drop by any time or go back and read a previous book and utilize our archives.

I hope we will see all of you in the discussions to come!
:ONBC:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:11 am

All of the discussions have been great fun, especially Shantaram and The Ginger Man. I too am in awe of the insights expressed by ONBC members. The quality of the discussions is amazing -- people's thoughts are so well expressed, and so perceptive.

And I have to thank you for the tidbits--I feel like I am taking a college course preparing for each book. I have learned so much here--TBIMG and TPAOL as prime examples.

I read every word even though I don't participate if the book is not at my local library. The discussions make me feel as if I have read it!

Theresa said:
One of my favorite Monday Night threads (back when it was a Sunday Night thread, I believe) was the thread about where everyone lived. It was so interesting reading about all the different places that Zoners live...and seeing pictures, too.
and I agree -- that was great.

I also loved the haiku nights, and the Road trips Liz, DITHOT, and others took.

This is a special place, and being part of it is a privilege.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:38 am

stroch wrote:I also loved the haiku nights, and the Road trips Liz, DITHOT, and others took.

How could I have forgotten the Road trips? I love the Road trips! :cool:

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:42 am

Well I would like to second what others have said, especially nebraska. 22 books: that's amazing, and my book collection is looking so much healthier for them. Far and away my favourite is Shantaram: that is alltime favourite ever & desert island book. I loved TPAOL also. But TL has a special place in my heart, or all kinds of reasons. I am not used to reading biographies at all, but loved the wider reading there. The quality of the discussions here is also brilliant. I love the way someone can provide answers when I am stuck, or when I change my mind about something because of the discusssion. And every now and then there are the bonuses: the tours but also when we have the real author threads or actresses! I'm embarrassed to admit this but I have been trying to remember who was the first of those. :perplexed: What I do remember, oddly - or perhaps not - was the way we signed our own names for once. I liked that.

There are a lot of "loves" in here, I see, but I'll not change any of them. But the big thank you goes to Liz and DIDHOt, for without your fantastic research and questions, where would we be? Doesn't bear thinking about, does it? Thank you ladies! :thanks!:
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:45 am

theresa wrote:
stroch wrote:I also loved the haiku nights, and the Road trips Liz, DITHOT, and others took.

How could I have forgotten the Road trips? I love the Road trips! :cool:

How could I forget the road trips?

Stroch, it is nice to know that you (and I’ve heard this from others) read the discussion even if you haven’t read the book and that you find it worthwhile.

Lizbet and Red Shoes, we have enjoyed your participation and hope you come back for more. Not good about so many of you not being able to get the Bandini book until August.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:48 am

suec wrote:Well I would like to second what others have said, especially nebraska. 22 books: that's amazing, and my book collection is looking so much healthier for them. Far and away my favourite is Shantaram: that is alltime favourite ever & desert island book. I loved TPAOL also. But TL has a special place in my heart, or all kinds of reasons. I am not used to reading biographies at all, but loved the wider reading there. The quality of the discussions here is also brilliant. I love the way someone can provide answers when I am stuck, or when I change my mind about something because of the discusssion. And every now and then there are the bonuses: the tours but also when we have the real author threads or actresses! I'm embarrassed to admit this but I have been trying to remember who was the first of those. :perplexed: What I do remember, oddly - or perhaps not - was the way we signed our own names for once. I liked that.

There are a lot of "loves" in here, I see, but I'll not change any of them. But the big thank you goes to Liz and DIDHOt, for without your fantastic research and questions, where would we be? Doesn't bear thinking about, does it? Thank you ladies! :thanks!:

Thanks Suec. I believe our first author Q&A was with Andrew Birkin.

ThirdArm

Unread postby ThirdArm » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:01 pm

I forgot the Monday night thread was last night! :bawl:

Ah, 3 years of books.... Of the books I've read for ONBC, my favorite is F&LIV. I enjoyed HT's writing and I enjoyed the discussions. The one I had the hardest time with was The People's Act of Love.

I'm looking forward to the next 3 years full of books to read. Liz and DitHoT, you guys do an amazing job. :cool:
~No doubt the years have changed me.~

San

Unread postby San » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:12 pm

Congrats on 22 books so far. I just finished reading all the old discusions. Hurray for the archive :bounce: :cool:
It was also fun to read all the old Sunday/ Monday night threads.
First discussion I read hear was Inamorata. First times in years that I read a (non study) English book (or a dutch one).
Thanks Liz and Dithot for getting me back to read again.
More recent I enjoyed the roadtrips and the Q&A with Darlene.
I hope to read at least 22 more books in ONBC although I am a lurker in the discussions.
Art has to be forgotten: Beauty must be realised ~ ~ Piet Mondriaan (1872 -1944)

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:24 pm

I can never even choose a favorite color, much less a favorite book. Having said that, I'd have to say my three ONBC favorites would be the much-cited Shantarm, The Libertine, and J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys, since I would never have discovered them on my own.

I never imagined when we started discussing Secret Window, Secret Garden that I'd still be participating 21 books later. Amazing. Thanks!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:03 pm

Thanks for the kind words, ThirdArm.

San, I’m glad we got you reading again.

Fansmom, when we started discussing SWSG, I thought that would be the only book.
:lol:

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”