Monday Night Thread - Reminiscing about the last 3 years

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Monday Night Thread - Reminiscing about the last 3 years

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:12 pm

Good Day, Zone Divas and Welcome to the July Monday Night Thread. :wave:

This Monday night DITHOT and I thought we would honor the Zone’s birthday by taking this thread to reminisce about former book or Monday Night Thread discussions. :ONBC:

So share your memories here—favorite, least favorite, funny, interesting, surprising books, tidbits and discussions. Feel free to share other Zone memories, too.
:zoner:

HAPPY 3rd BIRTHDAY, Johnny DEPP-Zone! :happybday:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:01 pm

I was amazed today when DITHOT said this was our 22nd book -- is there a list of them somewhere?

I think one of the stellar moments of ONBC for me came during our discussion of Perfume.......when I suddenly realized what an intelligent, well educated, really smart and perceptive and absolutely fabulous group of readers I had stumbled up........and I was being accepted as an equal here. :-O

The whole experience has opened my world and my mind -- If I could do only one activity online, I think I would give up all my other groups and discussions etc and stay here at ONBC. Love it!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:06 pm

Thank you, nebraska! What a nice compliment to our group here! :bouquet: As one of the original Noodlemantras you have been around for all 22 of them! The list of books can be found at the top of the board under the "Why These Books" thread. We have been a little lax on updating that thread and our calendar so you can add Happy Days, The People's Act of Love, What's Eating Gilbert Grape and now The Bomb in My Garden to the list.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:15 pm

I'll put updating the "Why These Books" on my to-do list for the summer.

Nebraska, the Noodlemantras are an amazingly articulate and insightful group. I am proud to be associated with people like your good self.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:18 pm

Well thank you, Liz-babba and DITHOT-Babba...... :blush: I know it sounds really corny and cliché, but there really was a moment when I had such a revelation.......and I am glad I have not forgot it.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:21 pm

That's very nice to hear, nebraska and I couldn't agree with you more about our group! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:26 pm

One of my favorite book discussion was Shantaram. It was an incredible book, incredible discussion, and was well attended. I also enjoyed the list Monday Night Threads. I love lists! The F&LILV was a great one too. I loved doing the tidbits on that one.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:07 pm

My very favorite book discussion was Shantaram -- the prospect of being able to participate in that discussion is what convinced me to join the Zone -- the very first forum I ever joined.

I have to agree with Liz about the F&LILV tidbits -- going back to the 60's was a lot of fun.

One of my favorite Monday Night threads (back when it was a Sunday Night thread, I believe) was the thread about where everyone lived. It was so interesting reading about all the different places that Zoners live...and seeing pictures, too.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:14 pm

I'm glad we lured you in, theresa! Shantaram was very daunting for me as a moderator when we first decided to do it, but it turned in to one of my favorite discussions too. I loved the F&LILV tidbits and the discussion. And of course Hunter's send off will remain a very special memory. Thanks for your help with that! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:19 pm

T, part of why I liked the Shantaram discussion is because you joined then. :love: And I have to agree with DITHOT that Hunter's send-off was an experience I will never forget. Thanks, T, for the help with the tribute video. We couldn't have done it without you.

Larkwoodgirl

Unread postby Larkwoodgirl » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:49 pm

My favorite was Shantaram. What a wonderful book and what a wonderful and thought provoking discussion we had. Other books just seem to pale in comparison to Shantaram. I also enjoyed the Fierce Invalids discussion although I did not care for the book.
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:53 pm

Hey Larkwoodgirl! Long time no see. :wave: It would be great if you joined us for another discussion one of these days. FI was a great discussion too. I loved the tidbits on that one and I loved the book. It cracked me up.

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:08 pm

Happy Birthday to the Zone! Hard to belive it's been three years! I've got to agree that Shantaram was my favorite discussion. Such an awesome book and the tidbits and discussions added so much appreciation and understanding to the book. (I especially liked the list of character's that ?someone? DITHOT? provided.) My favorite group of tidbits had to be FALILV though. I printed many of them out to keep because they were so fun to read! :cool:

Thanks DITHOT and Liz for being such great leaders to a group of zoners that truly have enriched and expanded my world. :cloud9:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:23 pm

I always forget about the Monday night thread. :banghead:
One of my favorites was my first discussion with ONBC, Sweeney Todd. I enjoyed the book so much more than I would have if I read it alone. I have not missed a discussion since. I really regret not being around for Shantaram.
You ladies have inspired me to go back and read quite a few of the books from your past discussions.
I am happy to be a part of the zones 3rd birthday but one of my favorite places to hang out in the zone is ONBC.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:41 pm

Luvdepp, Johnny has expanded our world. :-O

Gemini, we're glad you hang out with us. :cool:

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”