Monday Night Thread ~ Desiderata and AWE!

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Monday Night Thread ~ Desiderata and AWE!

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:02 pm

Welcome, all to our June Monday Night Thread. :welcome:

Tonight we will be discussing the poem, Desiderata, as it applies to At World’s End and Captain Jack Sparrow. :captainjack: Desiderata is credited in the movie though we have yet to discover why… :investigate:

Endora solved the mystery of why The Time of Your Life by William Saroyan was credited (a tattoo we think must be in the multiple Jacks scene). :cool: This may also be the reason for the Desiderata credit but I suppose it will take multiple viewings to know for sure. :dancingpirate: Anything in the name of research, eh? :reader: :popcorn:

We will be posting each stanza in a separate thread. Feel free to discuss any or all and to come back during the week to add any thoughts. Thanks to Charlene for a great idea! :cool:

Stanza 1 is below. Have fun, me hearties! Yo ho! :toastingpirates:
:bounce:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:42 pm

Well, I'm not quite sure what you're looking for in this discussion, but hey, I'll jump in.

As far as possible without surrender
Be on good terms with all persons.

I see Captain Jack weaving his way through life trying to stay on the good side of nearly everyone he comes in contact with. Partly because he just has an easygoing nature, and partly because he's of the opinion that you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:45 pm

Thanks for starting us off, theresa! :cool: You definitely have the right idea. Just take any part of any stanza and tell us how it reminds you of the movie or the good :capnjack:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

mytreasure

Unread postby mytreasure » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:28 pm

Speak your truth quietly and clearly
and listen to others
even the dull and the ignorant,
they, too, have their story.

This is rather hard to explain, but this verse has always reminded me of Rigetti. He kind of reminds me of that character that Dustin Hoffman plays in Rain Man. Rigetti is not able to read or write, but he always seems to be listening and assimilating all the information he hears in order to make sense of everything. And sometimes he comes up with the solution!

Just my little input!!! :twocents:
*Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.*
~Dearest Captain Jack, May your compass always lead you back to us...~

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:30 pm

mytreasure wrote:Speak your truth quietly and clearly
and listen to others

This is rather hard to explain, but this verse has always reminded me of Rigetti. He kind of reminds me of that character that Dustin Hoffman plays in Rain Man. Rigetti is not able to read or write, but he always seems to be listening and assimilating all the information he hears in order to make sense of everything. And sometimes he comes up with the solution!

Good point, mytreasure! He is always coming up with some insight or deep thought that you wouldn't expect from him. :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:35 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
mytreasure wrote:Speak your truth quietly and clearly
and listen to others

Good point, mytreasure! He is always coming up with some insight or deep thought that you wouldn't expect from him. :cool:

Yes. I would say he has quite an interesting story. He always makes me laugh.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:37 pm

theresa wrote:Well, I'm not quite sure what you're looking for in this discussion, but hey, I'll jump in.

Be on good terms with all persons.

I see Captain Jack weaving his way through life trying to stay on the good side of nearly everyone he comes in contact with. Partly because he just has an easygoing nature, and partly because he's of the opinion that you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I agree, Theresa. I do think it is in his nature to try to get along with everyone, although he may not want to admit it.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:52 pm

I'm trying to think here....Jack has certainly "reached" and gone as far as he could without surrendering....he bargains, he plots, he's sneaky and conniving, and he never throws up his hands until he is outnumbered or outsmarted, even if temporary.

and listen to others
they too have their story

..ah..this part makes me laugh, as it describes the majority of the crew....but specifically, perhaps the "men" on Davey Jones ship...even the ones that are now part of the ship...they all have a story

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:59 pm

Charlene wrote:As far as possible without surrender

I'm trying to think here....Jack has certainly "reached" and gone as far as he could without surrendering....he bargains, he plots, he's sneaky and conniving, and he never throws up his hands until he is outnumbered or outsmarted, even if temporary.

and listen to others
they too have their story

..ah..this part makes me laugh, as it describes the majority of the crew....but specifically, perhaps the "men" on Davey Jones ship...even the ones that are now part of the ship...they all have a story

I was thinking while I was watching the movie that I wanted to know the hermit crab and hammerhead shark's stories. :lol:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:44 pm

Remember the two guys from DMC that find Jack's hat right before the Kracken finds them? I always wondered about their stories.

Wow! What a ride!

Heather_Hanson

Unread postby Heather_Hanson » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:02 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Remember the two guys from DMC that find Jack's hat right before the Kracken finds them? I always wondered about their stories.

Oh yes I remember. I always wondered about them too.
"This is the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow!" - CJS
"Fuhgetaboutit." - Donnie Brasco

Heather_Hanson

Unread postby Heather_Hanson » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:07 pm

even the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story.

This reminds me a little bit of Raggetti even though he really isn't dull or ignorant. We knew him as a pirate, and Pintel's friend, but we really didn't know him. He told his some part of him in AWE when he whispered to Calypso. :capnjack:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:11 pm

Heather_Hanson wrote:even the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story.

This reminds me a little bit of Raggetti even though he really isn't dull or ignorant. We knew him as a pirate, and Pintel's friend, but we really didn't know him. He told his some part of him in AWE when he whispered to Calypso. :capnjack:

I guess he was a hopeless romantic. :cloud9:

Heather_Hanson

Unread postby Heather_Hanson » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:13 pm

Liz wrote:

This reminds me a little bit of Raggetti even though he really isn't dull or ignorant. We knew him as a pirate, and Pintel's friend, but we really didn't know him. He told us some part of him in AWE when he whispered to Calypso. :capnjack:

Aww that cute. Raggetti longing to be with Calypso. :capnjack: :cloud9:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:19 pm

Heather_Hanson wrote:
Liz wrote:

This reminds me a little bit of Raggetti even though he really isn't dull or ignorant. We knew him as a pirate, and Pintel's friend, but we really didn't know him. He told us some part of him in AWE when he whispered to Calypso. :capnjack:

Aww that cute. Raggetti longing to be with Calypso. :capnjack: :cloud9:

I wonder if he was thinking of someone else from his past. That scene made us all realize that there was more to him than meets the eye (being just a pirate).

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”