ONBC Monday Night Thread

Moderator: Liz

Depputante

Unread postby Depputante » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:54 am

:bounce: Congratulations Rustyred, Glendaleigh and Parlez! :cool: :applause:
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:04 am

Oops, I checked in earlier but forgot to check back for the Monday night thread. I was playing around at making me some Johnny type swag jewelry.

Late congratulations on the birthday drawing winners: Rustyred, Glendaleigh and Parlez.

Holloween was pretty much rained out around here this year so I'll try this Alliteration Game.

Legendary loony Lovett lovingly leavens her larder of limp lost legions . (Not too sure if that even makes sense.)
Here's another;
Sinister serial slaughterer Sweeney scissors, shaves, and slices stealthily.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:23 am

Depputante wrote:dharma, Where DID you get those hair/bandana danglies??? :-O
I have been looking for those for at least 6 months! Especially the end ones that are metalic !

Glad you won the contest!!! Great costume!

First wore the costume three years ago, mate. Strung the beads meself using the hair from my....
No. Actually, everything came from different places. The beads I bought on ebay, the wig came from an online theatrical costume shop, and the bandanna I bought in Hong Kong before there was a CJS.

My upgrade this year was the full-on facial hair... definately an adventure.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:21 am

Great costumes, Liz and dharma! Congratultions to Rustyred, Glendaleigh and Parlez. I didn't do anything for Halloween. I never do. But we have Bonfire Night on November 5, with fireworks as well as the bonfire. And food of course. So basically, I ate and marvlled at fireworks.
It is too early in the day for me to be creative so I'll amble away to aim at being alliterative.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:29 am

[quote="dharma_bum"]I may return for some righteous repartee later...

My ad agency celebrates Halloween every year and most people do dress for the occasion… usually some high concept, oh-so-clever costume wins the contest. Not this year. This year it was your ol’Captian Jack. Yes, that’s me… 8:00am-in-the-morning-with-no-caffeine-yet, me.

So for you purists, the sash is on the wrong side and so are the scarf-top beads (fixed after coffee), and no item of clothing is quite the right color or proportion—it didn’t matter. Put a little facial hair on a woman and you unnerve everyone... even your best friends, as I found out later that night. Although a little trick or treater who encountered me out and about screamed with delight: “Look mommy, a pirate.”

Wow! Another fabulous costume!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

I am so impresed!

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:23 am

:captainjack: Great costumes Liz and dharma!! Very authentic looking. I guess I'm not a purist, I didn't notice the differences from CJS in your costume, dharma. :blush:

:applause2: Congrats to RR, Glendaleigh, and Parlez!

We live in a neighborhood that still gets trick or treaters, so had quite a few come through. Several were dressed as pirates, and they got extra candy for that (ssshh, don't tell)! I carved pumpkins from the DMC pumpkin carving kit (CJS and skull/crossbones) and all the kids seemed to love them! They took a bit of time to do, but it was worth it for everyone's reactions.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:26 am

Great costume, db! Yes something about the facial hair is a bit unnerving on you and Liz! :-O

gemini, I was hoping someone would come up with an alliteration for Mrs. Lovett!
:cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:56 am

Great costume, Dharma_Bum!

And congratulations to the winners, Rusty, Glenda and Parlez!

And the concert was great, I might add. It's always awesome to see the Stones in a small place.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life.
~~Walt Disney~~
*** my avatar courtesy of the talented mamabear

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:45 am

Fleet Street - where Sweeney fleeces and slices,
Ripping with razors to riches,
Cutting his customers callously
Severing lives in the cellar and grasping their goods greedily
The barbaric barber butchers his way to the booty,
Choosing the chair for his murderous machinations -
A dreadful device of death.
He prizes the pearls and plans to polish off Mark
Till apprehending his apprentice is aware of his aspirations
The blackmailing blackguard bullies the boy -
Todd traps terrified Tobias, to be terminated in time.
Lovett and Lupin he leaps to lever asunder
Her rueful renunciations rankle with the rogue -
And result in her ruin -
Luckless Lovett is food for the furnace!
Peradventure our persevering patron,
Fortunate fiance of the fair Johanna,
No longer shorn of his freedom and shunning the shaver's shop
Races to rescue young Ragg.
The cunning cutthroat convinces the colonel
But gasping aghast at Mark's ghostly image,
Denounces his dastardly deeds.
Placing him in prison is pointless.
Returning to retrieve his riches
The barber is betrayed by his barbaric ways -
The chilling chair dispatches him to the depths.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:14 am

WOW, suec! :notworthy:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:53 am

Loved the pirate pics, mates!! Great costumes, and hair!
:capnjack:

Who can top suec's poem? Not me, says I, but here's one that came into me head this morning:
Bad barbers blame their blades when bristling beards begin to bleed. (ouch!)
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:25 pm

Great costumes, and great work with the alliteration! You people are amazing!

Last year I told the ONBC about my DH, who dresses as a pirate every year and cooks roast beef over an open fire in the yard. He hands out chunks of it on the tip of a knife to kids, and lets them roast marshmallows, too. Halloween is his favorite holiday, but sadly, he was out at sea this year. I don't think the trick-or-treaters who asked about him believed me when I said he was out at sea. There aren't many professional sailors in our area.

Although I had about 60 trick-or-treaters, I didn't have any pirates come to my door. They would indeed have gotten extra candy.

I too am in a somewhat stodgy office, so I didn't dress up for Halloween, although I wore orange socks with googly-eyed spiders with my gray pants suit. My little secret.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:35 pm

I remember the story about you husband, fansmom! I bet the regulars missed having him around this year. Hear's a wish for him to be safe out there. (And we won't tell about the socks...)

Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:13 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:WOW, suec! :notworthy:

I'll second that! That was just mind blowing, suec! I am :-O with awe at your talents.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

thatgirl

Unread postby thatgirl » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:16 pm

Amazing poem, Suec! Very impressive.
My eyesight's as good as ever, just so you know. ~CJS

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”