It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: ONBC Monday Night Thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:34 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Good day, Noodlemantras! It’s time for the monthly Monday Night Thread…… :wave:

We know Halloween has passed, but we would still like to know how you celebrated it.

Did any of you dress up as a pirate?

Would you like to share pics?

If not, we have a post Halloween/Sweeney Todd game for you…..

It’s called the Alliteration Game, a game we’ve played a couple of times in the past here at ONBC.

An alliteration is:

a poetic or literary effect achieved by using several words that begin with the same or similar consonants, as in “Whither wilt thou wander, wayfarer?”

So describe Sweeney or any other character in the play using an alliteration. Contribute as many as you would like.

Choose either or both options:

Talk Halloween

or

Play the Alliteration Game

or

Both

Have fun Noodlemantras. :bounce:

A couple of announcements before we start:

• The winners of the ONBC Birthday Partay Drawing will be announced in the next hour, so stay tuned….. :bounce:

• ONBC will be on hiatus for the next week, and we will begin Happy Days tidbits on November 15. :reader:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:42 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I'll start with an alliteration:

Slithering smarmy Sweeney

It's pretty simplistic, but you get the idea....

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:45 pm 

Oh, dear! Not the alliteration game. :bawl: I am no good at that, but I know we have some champion players here, it will be fun to see what they come up with!

Halloween was quiet for me, I live in a rural area where no one comes to trick or treat unless it is very intentional (granddaughter and her friend) -- I mailed things ahead of time to grandsons who all live out of town. My work place is pretty stuffy, so no dressing up or fun things there, either. :-/ I love Halloween, I just don't get much chance to enjoy it. I am looking forward to a lot of Captain Jack costume stories.

Did you dress up as Jack again this year, Liz? The picture last year was amazing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:00 pm 
JDZ Moderator

That I did, Nebraska. Well, actually, it was for the annual town pirate party the weekend prior. I don't know why you can't see my beads in this pic. I dressed up as a zombie on the actual day. Didn't get a pic of that. This was the first year I couldn't walk around with my kiddies. My 12 year old daughter informed me that she wanted to go with her friends. :bawl: I think she's getting a bit old to be trick or treating anyway. But in our town, it is socially acceptable to trick or treat through high school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:00 pm 

nebraska, I'm not that great at alliteration either but we definitely have some Noodlemantras that are wonderful wordsmiths.

I didn't have very many trick or treaters, maybe 20? Not a pirate in the bunch either...
:-/

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:06 pm 

[quote="Liz"]That I did, Nebraska. Well, actually, it was for the annual town pirate party the weekend prior. I don't know why you can't see my beads in this pic. I dressed up as a zombie on the actual day. Didn't get a pic of that. This was the first year I couldn't walk around with my kiddies. My 12 year old daughter informed me that she wanted to go with her friends. :bawl: I think she's getting a bit old to be trick or treating anyway. But in our town, it is socially acceptable to trick or treat through high school.

Incredible! If I didn't know it was you, I wouldn't know it was you!

Granddaughter will be 13 in December. For a long time already she has had a busy social calendar without much room for me. I am delighted she came by so I could see her costume this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:14 pm 

Hey, Liz, that's a wonderful costume.

Mr TA and I didn't do any special for Halloween and we didn't go downtown, it was too crowded and not safe. A neighbor of mine who tends to do things over and above everyone else had a party for her kids, neighbor kids, and friends. It was kind of noisey, but knocked off early. After that, it was dead silence. Everyone went elsewhere to party.

The neighbor is the one who has been an irritant for the last few years because she does everything from scratch--makes costumes, makes and bakes all the food, creates the decorations. Martha Stewart has nothing on her. I think it's an achievement to defrost something.

I have an alliteration for you (I have an general idea about ST, so I hope it works):

Bodacious, bloody barber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:17 pm 

Fantastic updated Cap'n Jack costume, Liz! And I guess 12 is about that age where Mom becomes just a bit of a burden in public - not that I have any experience on your side of it - but I have been 12!!!

I didn't have more than 20 trick or treaters either, DITHOT, and no pirates. Had a pretty good Harry Potter and a kid with a fantastic jester suit with a many-pointed and belled cap.

I grew up in a rural area, too, nebraska, so we didn't trick or treat door-to-door and, when I was small, the schools and churches didn't yet have "fall festivals" or whatever the politically correct word for them is. But as a big girl, I have seen some fantastic costumes in Boston and New York and New Orleans and I have a very great admiration for those who created them. A guy who moved here to Austin created a Marie Antoinette costume for himself and a "Louis the whatever" for his partner out of newpaper! I only saw the article in the paper, but the costumes were unbelievably intricate and fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:22 pm 

Nice, Liz! Love the extra eyes. That must have taken some time!

Third arm, I had bloody barber but coudn't come up with a third "b". Well done!

Bix, there is always 6th St.!
:-O

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:24 pm 

Liz,
Great costume!

DH worked late on Halloween and since the Stones concert was delayed a day, I went to therapy and then had to fight my way to the subway through the mess that is the NYC Halloween parade. It's a VERY disorganized event. It didn't used to be that way, but it is that way now. I did see lots of pirates. But not coming to Trick or Treat at my house. I would have liked to have been home and seen them.

Then the next night, there were lots of people dressed as pirates at the Stones concert. Now whether they dress like that every day, well, I think for some of them, it's a possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:25 pm 

Does it count if my 11 yr old son dressed up as a pirate? All in the family, eh? Image

No other pirates in from my house - my two daughters dressed as witches and I dressed as a 30-something JDOCD mom. ;-)

Last edited by thatgirl on Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Thanks, Bix and ThirdArm.

Bix, I live in a rural area too where there are no trick or treaters. My daughter always has to be driven to the neighborhood where Halloween is happening. It's like a huge block party--wall to wall kids and parents.

ThirdArm, Halloween downtown is something I will stay clear of, after hearing about the violence from last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm 

Oops! I didn't know that pic was going to be quite so large. I'll go back & resize it as soon as the photobucket maintenance thing is finished so I can log back in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:32 pm 

Alliteration ?
First thought: You've got to be kidding!
Second thought: You've taught me a new word.

Missus'es marvelous meatpies mean marked munching.

Is that alliteration? :dance:

I like the Happy Days photo! :-O
:hope: for a prize, and :popcorn: It's always :giddy: but I'm very doubtful.

Last edited by Depputante on Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:33 pm 

Cute pirate, thatgirl! Although I"m sure "cute" is not the word your pirate would appreciate! :capnjack: Clever costume of you own...I think there are many of us on this site that wear that costume on a daily basis! ;-)

Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next