ONBC MONDAY NIGHT THREAD - 5 Lists of 5 Again

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
Joni
JDZ Global Moderator
Posts: 24490
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:08 pm
Location: Canada

Status: Offline

Unread postby Joni » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:00 pm

Liz wrote:
Joni wrote:I'll start with my list of Books:

--The Catcher In The Rye


Hi Joni. :wave: I thought it very interesting when that book came up on my son's list of books to study this year in the 11th grade. Can't wait to discuss that with him, even though I have yet to read it. :blush:


What a riot! I first read it when I was in Grade 11 as well! (Americans say 11th Grade; Canadians say Grade 11 -- just an interesting little observation.)

I still have my rather ratty copy (from 1971), falling apart and taped up, with all my notes written in pencil in the margins. I love going back and looking at what I underlined as being important at the time. I think this is my all-time favourite book. I wrote a killer essay on it and if I recall, got a very high mark for it. It's easy to write about what you love.

I hope you enjoy it, Liz. Holden Caulfield is really a hilarious character; the book is full of interesting characters. I've never laughed so much while reading a book, and still do when I re-read it.

I'd be interested in what your son (and you) have to say about it!

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:05 pm

Joni wrote:
Liz wrote:
Joni wrote:I'll start with my list of Books:

--The Catcher In The Rye


Hi Joni. :wave: I thought it very interesting when that book came up on my son's list of books to study this year in the 11th grade. Can't wait to discuss that with him, even though I have yet to read it. :blush:


What a riot! I first read it when I was in Grade 11 as well! (Americans say 11th Grade; Canadians say Grade 11 -- just an interesting little observation.)

I still have my rather ratty copy (from 1971), falling apart and taped up, with all my notes written in pencil in the margins. I love going back and looking at what I underlined as being important at the time. I think this is my all-time favourite book. I wrote a killer essay on it and if I recall, got a very high mark for it. It's easy to write about what you love.

I hope you enjoy it, Liz. Holden Caulfield is really a hilarious character; the book is full of interesting characters. I've never laughed so much while reading a book, and still do when I re-read it.

I'd be interested in what your son (and you) have to say about it!


Well, like I said, I probably won't have time to read it. I guess it depends on when he will be studying it. But I can't wait to hear what he has to say about it. We also call it grade 11, BTW. We go both ways.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
gemini
Posts: 3907
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:28 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Status: Offline

Ok I did my homework

Unread postby gemini » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:20 pm

Ooooh this looks like fun. If I can just remember.

Favorite Johnny Lines
1. “There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.”
2. ""This is either madness or brilliance."
"It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide
3.(I need to borrow your signature a minute b p olive) "The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants."
4. Am I a romantic? I've seen Wuthering Heights ten times. I'm a romantic
5.. I love those moments... I like to wave at them as they pass by

Favorite Johnny Looks
Long Hair, No glasses, grubby jeans, mischevious look

Favorite Johnny Roles
Captain Jack, Sam, Gilbert, Roux, Cesare

Favorite Johnny Books
About Him? Or read by him? I may have to cheat a little here.
Ive read 3 biographys. I like Depp by Chistopher Heard the best. I just started on books Johnny has read. I started with On the road and also read the Beat hotel just for fun. I have printed out all the books listed he's read to take to the library with me. Do favorite poems count? I like Desiderata.

Favorite Johnny Accessories
Bandanas, Hanging trinkets,, Necklaces, rings. Oh, have to cheat again, forgot hats, that six. EDIT Ooops cant count thats 5.
Last edited by gemini on Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Ok I did my homework

Unread postby Liz » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:36 pm

gemini wrote:Ooooh this looks like fun. If I can just remember.

Favorite Johnny Lines
1. “There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.”
2. ""This is either madness or brilliance."
"It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide
3.(I need to borrow your signature a minute b p olive) "The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants."
4. Am I a romantic? I've seen Wuthering Heights ten times. I'm a romantic
5.. I love those moments... I like to wave at them as they pass by

Favorite Johnny Looks
Long Hair, No glasses, grubby jeans, mischevious look

Favorite Johnny Roles
Captain Jack, Sam, Gilbert, Roux, Cesare

Favorite Johnny Books
About Him? Or read by him? I may have to cheat a little here.
Ive read 3 biographys. I like Depp by Chistopher Heard the best. I just started on books Johnny has read. I started with On the road and also read the Beat hotel just for fun. I have printed out all the books listed he's read to take to the library with me. Do favorite poems count? I like Desiderata.

Favorite Johnny Accessories
Bandanas, Hanging trinkets,, Necklaces, rings. Oh, have to cheat again, forgot hats, that six.


Hi Gemini. :welcome: to ONBC. All of those books and Desiderata count.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
gemini
Posts: 3907
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:28 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Status: Offline

Unread postby gemini » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:44 pm

Lix said
Hi Gemini. to ONBC. All of those books and Desiderata count.

I'll just have to read something the same time as you all discuss it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers



Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:47 pm

gemini wrote:Lix said
Hi Gemini. to ONBC. All of those books and Desiderata count.

I'll just have to read something the same time as you all discuss it.


We would love to have you join us. :bounce:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Theresa
JDZ Webmaster
Posts: 26795
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 1:21 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Status: Offline

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:07 am

List Four: Favorite Johnny Lines

1. Savvy? - CJS and Sands
2. Okay, okay. . .I'm going to freak right out. - Sands
3. Wait for the opportune moment. - CJS
4. I killed my mirror. . .and my shower door. - Mort
5. 'Ello, beastie - CJS

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:12 am

All good choices, Theresa!

Well, I'm headed out for the evening. Keep them coming people. This thread will be here for at least a week.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
nila_admiresmr.depp
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:21 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Status: Offline

Unread postby nila_admiresmr.depp » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:13 am

Felt the need to add my two cents. Very fun to see what others think:

Favorite roles:
1. Captain Jack Sparrow
2. Don Juan
3. Sam
4. Wonka
5. John Wilmot

These change often. Favorite Lines:

1. “There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.” (DJ)
2. "That wasn't so bad." (DMC)
3. "I do that quite a lot. Yet people always seem to be surprised." DMC)
...many many pieces of lines come to memory from other films, so I will have to do research to finish my entry.
"With any part you play, there is a certain amount of yourself in it. There has to be; otherwise, it's just not acting. It's lying."

lizbet
Posts: 679
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:27 pm
Location: London, Canada

Status: Offline

Unread postby lizbet » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:30 am

somehow I missed this thread last year so you are making me think - it really is like homework - ok I'm going to ease in slowly and start with roles (there are still a handful of movies I haven't seen so these are of the ones I've seen)

Capt Jack
Roux
Sam
J. M. Barrie
Dean Corso

and with books (have read more but didn't enjoy them all)

J. M. Barrie & the Lost Boys
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Rum Diary

just as I was signing out two of my favorite 'character lines' cried out for inclusion so I'll put two down tonight and sleep on the other three

I'll come around sometime and get that squeek out of your door!

Just believe.
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:38 am

Welcome to ONBC nila_admiresmr.depp! :wave: I've tried to write down my favorite lines but they keep changing as I read everyone's choices. I have it narrowed down to about 20. :lol:


Hi, lizbet, good to see you! Glad you stopped by to turn in your homework!
:writer:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
johnnybloom
Posts: 6548
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:07 pm
Location: Under a Palm Tree, with Ice and Rum
Contact:

Status: Offline

Unread postby johnnybloom » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:59 am

Well I would like to play!!!
But it may take several play dates to finish the list.
My favorite roles seem like a good place to start.
1. Captain Jack
2. Mort Rainey
3. Sands
(what can I say I like the naughty boys)
4. J. M. Barrie
5. William Blake (I just want to cuddle him!!)
If I could do a sixth I would have to choose Dean Corso, but since 5 is the limit forget I said it... :eyebrow:
~3~
"Three is a sort of special number for me. It's a very creative number.
Triangle, trinity-you know, how two people make another person.
Three is a MYSTICAL, MAGICAL number."
~~ Johnny Depp~~

User avatar
johnnybloom
Posts: 6548
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:07 pm
Location: Under a Palm Tree, with Ice and Rum
Contact:

Status: Offline

Unread postby johnnybloom » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:09 am

As for choosing favorite lines..that IS a hard one.
1. Bring me that horizon~ Captain Jack
2. Rubber Necker~~Mort
3. Why is the rum ALWAYS gone?~ Jack
4. Please do tell, dearie~Jack
5. Just Believe~J. M. Barrie

But these change on a daily basis depending on my mood....
~3~

"Three is a sort of special number for me. It's a very creative number.

Triangle, trinity-you know, how two people make another person.

Three is a MYSTICAL, MAGICAL number."

~~ Johnny Depp~~

User avatar
johnnybloom
Posts: 6548
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:07 pm
Location: Under a Palm Tree, with Ice and Rum
Contact:

Status: Offline

Unread postby johnnybloom » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:13 am

Accessories:
1. The tattoos
2. The skull rings
3. The wrist gear..all of them
4. Hats...I love them.
5. Anything that dangles from the jeans, including the buckle to the side.....
~3~

"Three is a sort of special number for me. It's a very creative number.

Triangle, trinity-you know, how two people make another person.

Three is a MYSTICAL, MAGICAL number."

~~ Johnny Depp~~

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:11 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Welcome to ONBC nila_admiresmr.Depp! :wave: I've tried to write down my favorite lines but they keep changing as I read everyone's choices. I have it narrowed down to about 20. :lol:
:writer:


We noticed that this question is quite difficult for you to answer without breaking the rules, DITHOT. I suppose you thought they were just guidelines, eh? :lol:

:welcome: nila_admiresmr.Depp. My favorite lines change quite often too. I realized I totally forget about all those that I loved from CATCF.

:wave: Lizbet. Nice to see you. "Just believe" has to be one of my favorites. I may replace one of my other lines with that one.

Johnnybloom, you can have as many play dates as you want. Thanks for reminding me of this line: "Bring me that horizon". I may end up breaking the rules myself on that list. :capnjack:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.


Return to “The Monday Night Thread”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest