Monday Night Thread ~ You're the Boss!

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Monday Night Thread ~ You're the Boss!

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:00 pm

Welcome back to the Monday Night Thread, Noodlemantras! :bounce: :snoopydances:

In case you missed Liz's announcement, we will be holding the MNT's on the first Monday of each month
(except tonight is really September because of the US holiday next Monday...)

Dates for upcoming Monday Night Threads will be:

October 2
November 6
December 4

Tonight we are going to discuss Johnny’s possible upcoming projects. We know he will take on the role of Sweeney Todd when he and Tim team up again for their next project. That puts a number of possible projects on hold. Projects including, but not limited to, Shantaram and The Rum Diary and other properties he has optioned such as A Long Way Down, The Ginger Man and Happy Days. As his boss, which one would you like to tell him you are most looking forward to? :popcorn:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:10 pm

Thats easy for me, Shantaram. It was such a wonderful story that I know that he will bring the heart of that book to the screen. I cant wait to see what he does with it. I think this movie will be the one that gets him the Oscar. or Oscars! because I am sure it will win plenty. Thats my prediction!
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:11 pm

Veronica wrote:Thats easy for me, Shantaram. It was such a wonderful story that I know that he will bring the heart of that book to the screen. I cant wait to see what he does with it. I think this movie will be the one that gets him the Oscar. or Oscars! because I am sure it will win plenty. Thats my prediction!

And a fine prediction it is, V! :cool:

One vote for Shantaram... :thumbsup:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

PhD

Re: Monday Night Thread ~ You're the Boss!

Unread postby PhD » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:21 pm

I'm very behind on my reading list, so I don't know much about Happy Days or A Long Way Down. Shantaram is wonderful, but I have problems seeing it as a film... so much happens. How could you choose what to include and keep the story whole? The Ginger Man would be a challenge. How would we feel about his playing such a character? Would he bring sympathy to the role?

The answer might differ whether we're talking about films he'd star in or films he'd be involved in the production/direction. But, assuming that we're talking of films he'd star in, I'll vote for The Ginger Man. I'm terribly afraid that I'll feel cheated in the film version of Shantaram. I'd really be interested to see how The Ginger Man would turn out.
"Because, you know, it seems to me that, I mean, except for being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal"

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:24 pm

I feel they can still capture the majority of Shantaram in the film. There were some parts in the book that I thought unecessary & it was Greg Roberts getting his philosohpy out there. It will be a long movie to be sure. a 3 hour one!!!!! 3 hours of Johnny I double vote for Shantaram!!! :bounce: :bounce: hehe :blush:
Everything is always okay in the end,

if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:26 pm

I"m interested in The Ginger Man too, PhD. During our discussion we felt lthat if anyone could breathe some sympathy into Dangerfield it would be Johnny.

One vote...The Ginger Man
:thumbsup:

V, you're a :capnjack:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:30 pm

V, I have to agree with you--sort of. Can I make it a tie, DITHOT? I also want him to do Rum Diary before he's too old to do it. I'm looking forward to Shantaram because I think there is just so much meat in there--and what a story! I also think that is his best shot at an Oscar. On the other hand, I've been wanting to see The Rum Diary become a movie since we discussed it back in '04 (can't believe it's been that long).

PhD, I almost forgot about The Ginger Man. It sort of went by the wayside due to Sweeney Todd.

As far as projects where he is not starring, I'd have to say Inamorata. I really liked that story.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:38 pm

Liz wrote:V, I have to agree with you--sort of. Can I make it a tie, DITHOT? I also want him to do Rum Diary before he's too old to do it. I'm looking forward to Shantaram because I think there is just so much meat in there--and what a story! I also think that is his best shot at an Oscar. On the other hand, I've been wanting to see The Rum Diary become a movie since we discussed it back in '04 (can't believe it's been that long).

PhD, I almost forgot about The Ginger Man. It sort of went by the wayside due to Sweeney Todd.

As far as projects where he is not starring, I'd have to say Inamorata. I really liked that story.

Hey, Liz -- the question was which ONE project? You just named all of them! :lol:

I have to vote for Shantaram. I think Johnny will be able to do amazing things with this story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:39 pm

Liz wrote...
V, I have to agree with you--sort of. Can I make it a tie, DITHOT?

So you want...
One vote for Shantaram :thumbsup:
One vote for The Rum Diary :thumbsup:

Hmmm...I think there might be more than one :capnjack: in these waters...
:sailboat:

Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:57 pm

I've got to vote for Shantaram also. I was just crushed when Peter Wier dropped out, as I loved his early movies and thought he would really add to this project. But I still have high hopes for Johnny and Greg collaborating to bring us this huge saga!

The Ginger Man is probably my second favorite - just to see what Johnny would bring to Sebastian, as DITHOT said, although I really would love to see A Long Way Down come to the screen. I really enjoyed that one a great deal. And, yes, Liz Inamorata. . .oh, dear, here I go dithering off also. :blush:

So, to wade through the dithering, my vote is for Shantaram.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:01 pm

theresa wrote:
Liz wrote:V, I have to agree with you--sort of. Can I make it a tie, DITHOT? I also want him to do Rum Diary before he's too old to do it. I'm looking forward to Shantaram because I think there is just so much meat in there--and what a story! I also think that is his best shot at an Oscar. On the other hand, I've been wanting to see The Rum Diary become a movie since we discussed it back in '04 (can't believe it's been that long).

Hey, Liz -- the question was which ONE project? You just named all of them! :lol:

I have to vote for Shantaram. I think Johnny will be able to do amazing things with this story.

I know, I know. I'm just not good at making decisions.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:07 pm

Shantaram is such a rich story, with so much to draw from, I'm looking forward to seeing that one......and Johnny riding a motorcycle!

However, I am partial to Hunter's work and The Rum Diary has been a long time in coming. I would really want Benicio del Toro in it too, though.

Sweeney Todd, well the story is macabre and right up Tim and Johnny's alley to do, but the singing piece has me a bit perplexed.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:10 pm

KYwoman wrote:Shantaram is such a rich story, with so much to draw from, I'm looking forward to seeing that one......and Johnny riding a motorcycle!

However, I am partial to Hunter's work and The Rum Diary has been a long time in coming. I would really want Benicio del Toro in it too, though.

Sweeney Todd, well the story is macabre and right up Tim and Johnny's alley to do, but the singing piece has me a bit perplexed.

Even though I trust Johnny's and Tim's choices and think they will do wonders with ST, it's way down on the list for me.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:26 pm

I think I've got the tally so far.

Shantaram + :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
- :thumbsup:

The Ginger Man
+ :thumbsup:

The Rum Diary
+ :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Inamorata

A Long Way Down

Sweeney Todd
- :thumbsup:

Wow! What a ride!

PhD

Unread postby PhD » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:27 pm

KYwoman wrote:

Me too, KYwoman!
"Because, you know, it seems to me that, I mean, except for being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal"

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”