+ :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Inamorata
+ :thumbsup:

A Long Way Down

Sweeney Todd
- :thumbsup:

Carry on, ladies! I must sign off for tonight but we will continue the tally and let your employee know our decision! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:41 pm

Shantaram, without a doubt. :cool:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

DeepinDepp

Unread postby DeepinDepp » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:49 pm

:blush: I like them all...Johnny's choices are most interesting, especially what he has picked up for his production company.

But if I had to pick just one....

:thumbsup: Shantaram then Sweeney Todd....oops, that's two couldn't help myself.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:13 pm

DeepinDepp wrote::blush: I like them all...Johnny's choices are most interesting, especially what he has picked up for his production company.

But if I had to pick just one....

:thumbsup: Shantaram then Sweeney Todd....oops, that's two couldn't help myself.

I understand, DiD. :lol:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:17 pm

Betty Sue wrote:SHANTARAM!!!!! :applause:

No dithering for me either, Betty Sue. Although I'll take Johnny in any movie, any time, any where. I realllllllly want to see what he does with Shantaram.

bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Sioux

Unread postby Sioux » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:21 pm

Okies, I have to vote for Shantaram as well. However, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see A Long Way Down also! I know it's just optioned, but I'd love to see Johnny be either Martin or JJ in ALWD. It would be great. That's just me.

So. One vote for Shantaram, One vote for ALWD.

(Sorry, I couldn't narrow it down to one. :blush: )

:chill: :pray:
I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face ~ J.D.

"Nobody move! I've dropped me brain!"

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:44 pm

Sioux wrote:So. One vote for Shantaram, One vote for ALWD.

(Sorry, I couldn't narrow it down to one. :blush: )

:chill: :pray:

It's OK, Sioux. There are no real rules. They are more like guidelines. :capnjack:

So that we are up-to-date here.....

Shantaram + :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Ginger Man

The Rum Diary

Inamorata

A Long Way Down

Sweeney Todd

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:56 pm

I'm signing off too, folks. But don't forget that you can post to this thread all week....or longer. We are interested in reading your viewpoints. :cool:

farawayeyes

Unread postby farawayeyes » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:18 am

I vote for Shantaram, for its interesting plot:

"Based on the life story of author Gregory David Roberts, a heroin addict incarcerated for a robbery escapes prison and reinvents himself as a doctor in the slums of Bombay. His ties to the crime underworld there lead him to Afghanistan, where he partners with a mob boss locked in a battle with Russian criminals." (from imdb.com)
"Am I a romantic? I've seen Wuthering Heights ten times. I'm a romantic." ~ Johnny Depp

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:33 am

I'm looking forward to Sweeney Todd the most, but since we know that is definitely going to be Johnny's next project, I'll vote for something else instead...

My vote is for Shantaram. I think the plot and characters in this novel are fascinating, and I think it will be interesting to see this story brought to life on screen. I'm also strongly hoping for some Oscar possibilities for Johnny... :hope:

If it's okay, I'd like to cheat a little and add a vote for A Long Way Down also. :blush: I am really enjoying this book so far, and I think it would make a great movie. I would most likely see it even if Johnny chooses not to star in it, but I think it would be fun to see him as Martin.
"Breath. We tend not to think much about it. Each one is a blessing--every inhale, every exhale." -Johnny Depp

deeplyinlovewithdepp

Unread postby deeplyinlovewithdepp » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:34 am

Definitely Shantaram.
I think it is a story that, when done right (and Johnny rarely ceases to do right) can move and change people's lives.
The story is so moving and being partly true has a greater impact.
For some reason the novel just hit home for me.
It made me cry. The only other book/movie I've ever cried in is The Green Mile.
I was so frustrated with Lin that I would stop reading the book for months. I've never gotten so into a book. It's length didn't bother me because it chronicled different parts of his life. Which made it easier for me to put down, like a child's grounding, to pick up later and be less angry at Lin.
I think Johnny will do a fantastic job.
I'm looking most forward to this one.
And, if I were Johnny's boss I would be telling him (among other things... hehe) that this is the role he should be focusing on.
Marla's philosophy was that she could die at any moment. The tragedy was, she said, that she didn't.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:43 am

although I still have my doubts about Johnny playing Lin my vote would also be for Shantaram as long as they get a worthy director. I'm still anoyed at Peter Weir not doing it. I still think he would have been perfect.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:31 am

Looks like Shantaram is our runaway winner at this point but don't stop voting! :thumbsup: I'm throwing in my vote for Shantaram first. It is such a beautifully written book and Johnny has Roberts support. If the first director didn't work out, I have faith that there was a reason and it wasn't turning into the project it could be. My second vote is for The Rum Diary, and KYwoman, I agree Benecio needs to play Sala!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:24 am

The long awaited return of the Monday night thread, and me out of commission!!!! :banghead: I was doing a back up of my computer that took about 4 times as long as I anticipated. Oh, well, the thread goes on......

Shantaram is my favorite of the books we have read.........such a beautifully written novel and so much heart in it.....until the mobster stuff at least. But it is huge! I cannot see it made into a movie without sacrificing something of its character, there is just too much! UNLESS, could it be done as a movie serial? Part One this summer, Part Two next summer, etc That would work for me (but tie up the rest of Johnny's career :-/ ) Much as I love the book, I am not certain it can be translated to a move that is worthy of it. But then, I guess movie adaptations always change things.

So far nobody has voted for Happy Days, maybe because we are less familiar with it. I must admit I have only a general idea of its storyline. But it sounds to me like it contains the kind of emotional/psychological depth Johnny is so good at portraying. And an interesting story, too.

I am tempted to vote for Long Way Down..........

Ok, I am waffling, :-? If Good Omens was a choice I would have no problem .........I would just love to see Johnny in that Bentley with his snakeskin boots and shades! :cloud9: He would be a perfect Crowley! Sheldon Jeffrey Crowley.

I have started reading Sweeney Todd. I can't imagine how anyone ever made a musical out of this! I am a bit dismayed, but I do think two men with the vision of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp will make someting spectacular of it. Personally, I would have prefered a straight drama/horror movie true to the original story. It just seems like there might have been better choices out there.

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”