The Monday Night Thread is Back!

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:09 am

Larkwoodgirl wrote:I didn't really to too much on the 4th. Just mostly tried to catch up on all the reviews of DMC. My son had a slew of his friends in and out of the house all day. I thought I would never get through washing all the glasses from where they came in to get drinks. They can't use the same glass over you know!!

I have really been enjoying my summer. I have started reading Good Omens to get ready for the discussion.

I have also been working in my yard. Trying to redo the front flower bed. It was just looking awful, I couldn't stand it any longer.

Also, my mom moved out from Georgia. She is going to be living with me for awhile. My son is loving it bacause she spoils him no end.

Larkwood, you somehow slipped in there when I wasn't looking. Glad you are reading GO. I look forward to your insights. Should be an interesting discussion.

My kids have a slew of friends in and out all day too--and all night. Typical summer.

Noodlemantras, it's been great doing the Monday Night Thread again. But this Noodlemantra needs her beauty sleep. Don't let that stop the rest of you from posting. This could go on all week. :hope: We want to hear from you.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:27 am

Hi all. I've been having a subdued summer. A few family problems and also one with my hand, which is playing me up. No adventures so far. And not much time here either. :blush: I wasn't up to the premiere. But I have now got my holiday booked, to Portugal. That won't be until the end of August. And various jobs have been done on my house. I read 'My Sister's Keeper', by Jodi Picoult and 'A Profane Wit'. I am still reading about Rochester, as you can see. 'Good Omens' is proving to be a little elusive! I have ordered a copy which never arrived and am now waiting for the second one I have bought. :rolleyes: I have seen the film once so far. I'll see it again later in the week.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:12 am

Summer! I think we had that. Typical Brit weather hot one week chilly the next, temperatures up and down like a yoyo.Kids are still at school here so its not really holiday time for us.
don't celebrate July 4th or Canada day not suprisingly :lol:
Books, can't recall the last one I read :-/ but am currently reading The Historian a mysterious tale of Vampires and have The Devil Wears Prada for the holiday when I go.
Saw DMC at the weekend but I don't think its will get a second look for a while if at all as its scheduling is wrong for me.Maybe in the school hols if anyone else wants to go.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:37 am

Hi Suec. :wave: Glad to see you back here. Hope your problems with family and hand become things of the past soon. I loved My Sister's Keeper.

GG How long is the school holiday that you refer to?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:20 am

Glad the Monday thread is back, I've missed it.

My summer has been fine-- still working on repairs, and working to get my school re-opened for the fall. No vacation plans until I'm sure I have a job.

Between being on line for the Volvo Hunt and the Zone, I've been sitting in the coffeeshop a lot, and I've been reading whatever paperbacks are on offer on their exchange shelf. Mostly forgettable mysteries, but fun.

We spent a goofy, rainy, evening of the 4th at a friend's, singing along to the patriotic TV specials. Fireworks over the river observed from the third floor balcony --just beautiful, some I've never seen before.

Oh -- I also broke my kneecap, and that's kept things interesting.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:23 am

Liz wrote:Hi Suec. :wave: Glad to see you back here. Hope your problems with family and hand become things of the past soon. I loved My Sister's Keeper.

GG How long is the school holiday that you refer to?

School Holiday lasts 6 weeks

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:24 am

stroch wrote:Glad the Monday thread is back, I've missed it.

My summer has been fine-- still working on repairs, and working to get my school re-opened for the fall. No vacation plans until I'm sure I have a job.

Between being on line for the Volvo Hunt and the Zone, I've been sitting in the coffeeshop a lot, and I've been reading whatever paperbacks are on offer on their exchange shelf. Mostly forgettable mysteries, but fun.

We spent a goofy, rainy, evening of the 4th at a friend's, singing along to the patriotic TV specials. Fireworks over the river observed from the third floor balcony --just beautiful, some I've never seen before.

Oh -- I also broke my kneecap, and that's kept things interesting.

that sounds very painful :-/

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:06 am

Thanks for bringing back the Monday Thread, LIZ and DITHIT!!! I missed it.
And I couldn't really post last night. Ya see, my folks are here for a few days from Florida and this will even be a post and run.

My summer has been busy. I worked on some Superman stuff and did some overtime on that.

And we had our pool completely fixed with new pipelines and all. We are still trying to sell our house. :banghead:

And then I met up with DeppKat (as previously noted by DK in this thread), H2H, Dawn, myfave, chocolat, sam (and I'm sure I'm leaving somebody out, sorry!) when Johnny wasn't able to be on Letterman. And that was a fun, but exhausting day because I also worked. And someone took pics, but I don't know who.

I went and saw 4 Phil Lesh & Phriends shows here in the northeast and stayed at my friend's country home for several days.

Then I saw DMC 3 times in 24 hours with H2H. Great movie. I recommend it highly.
;-) :thumbsup:

And after seeing the movie twice on the 7th and going to a concert, we had about 30 people at our house for a party.

And now my folks are here.

I'm reading The Bounty and re-reading Good Omens.

And now I have to go. I was going to take my folks to see DMC later this afternoon, but last night I learned that they have never even seen PotC CotBP!!! I may have to do something about that.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life.
~~Walt Disney~~
*** my avatar courtesy of the talented mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:43 am

stroch wrote:Oh -- I also broke my kneecap, and that's kept things interesting.

Oh Stroch, please heal quickly. :-/

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:47 am

QofK, what did you do involving Superman?

And I don't think it will matter to your folks if they have not seen POTC1. I have a friend who never got around to seeing it, and loved DMC despite that.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:39 pm

Liz wrote:My 4th of July was pretty exciting because I walked in our town's first 4th of July parade. I’ve never been in a parade before. It was an experience I will never forget—especially because I was looking at it from Johnny’s point of view. :-O I was asked to dress up as CJS (because I have a reputation now for my costume) to help promote the fundraiser for the middle school—which was the 8 p.m. showing of DMC on opening night. It was very weird having people call me Johnny and kids believing I was really Capt. Jack. Then I was asked again to dress up for the fundraiser—since they couldn’t get Johnny. (believe it or not, they asked me if I could get him to come :lol: ) That was also a very fun experience because I got to watch the movie with many of my friends, who are POTC and Johnny fans. The audience was so responsive. We all got a little wild. :capnjack: There is a chance I might make the local paper. I will post that pic on this thread if it happens.[/color][/b]
That is too funny, Liz!

I missed the Monday night part of the Monday night thread because I was seeing DMC for the second time. The first was a midnight showing with my daughter and a friends of hers, and it took much of the weekend to recover from that!

No plans for a vacation--except to take my only child to college in six weeks. :bawl:

Gypsylee

Re: The Monday Night Thread is Back!

Unread postby Gypsylee » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:36 pm

Liz wrote:Welcome back to the Monday Night Thread. :bounce: We’ve missed chatting with you, so we have many questions tonight…….

How is your summer going?

So far so good! Been to Italy and back. Unfortunately I had to go back to work. Blah blah blah.

What did you do on the 4th of July or on Canada Day? :usa: :canada:

For the 4th of July I went to a block party BBQ and hung out with my three sons. Ate a LOT!!!

Any great adventures so far? :motorcycle:

Italy..........had never been there and I enjoyed it a lot. Learned lots of things.........like you have to pay to pee!!! Oops......sorry.

Read any good books? :reader:

Working on reading Good Omen.

See any good movies? :biglaugh:
Seriously, how many times have you seen DMC so far?
:popcorn: :captainjack: So far I've seen it twice and plan on seeing it a few more times. You get more out of it on each viewing.........like, where was I the first time I saw it??????? LOL!
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

nickidepphead

Unread postby nickidepphead » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:59 pm

Oh! I think I'm a little late here, but:

Any good movies? Erm, now what's that pirate thing again? :biglaugh:

How many times? Well twice so far, but more will follow, I'm sure!

Books? Actually, I just started reading A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. I love it! I can totally see why Johnny would want to make this into a film! If you don't like swearing I'd avoid it like the plague - it's chockablock - but the characters are fab! Started reading this morning and already about a third the way through! Wicked stuff!
* So...directly from the beautiful lips of Johnny Depp - THANK YOU VERY MUCH, Johnny Depp Zone! *

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:00 pm

QofK, I’m exhausted just reading your schedule! :dance: How fun you get to see so many Zoners! Has the theater reserved permanent seats for you and H2H yet? :popcorn: :popcorn:

Stroch, sorry to hear about the knee. :yuck2: How are things in NO? A friend of mine was through there earlier this summer to see the house she lived in years ago. She said many of the areas she saw were still quite devastated. Good luck with your school.

Gypsylee, Italy sounds like a pretty fabulous way to spend a summer. Hope you had plenty of lira for those potty stops!
:yikes:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:39 pm

nickidepphead wrote:Oh! I think I'm a little late here, but:

Any good movies? Erm, now what's that pirate thing again? :biglaugh:

How many times? Well twice so far, but more will follow, I'm sure!

Books? Actually, I just started reading A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. I love it! I can totally see why Johnny would want to make this into a film! If you don't like swearing I'd avoid it like the plague - it's chockablock - but the characters are fab! Started reading this morning and already about a third the way through! Wicked stuff!

:welcome: to ONBC, nickidepphead. You are deppinately not too late. The Monday Night Thread has been known to go all the way through Sunday at times.

ALWD is a great book! We discussed it here at ONBC a while back. If you are interested, you can read the discussion beginning on page 13 of the ONBC Archives:

http://johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=8&topicdays=0&start=300

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”