Monday Night Thread ~ Have you been found by a pen?

Moderator: Liz

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:52 am

OK, a confession. I am the only one here who always write their draft copies and ideas in pencil. I use paper out of the recyling box, write small and leave big gaps between the lines. There are usualyy a few sheets in my pocket, bag or file. Ieventually do a big edit on the computer. Then anything important (important to me, that is) gets sent to someone else to beta.

I like the freedom of pencil, pen makes any malformed thoughts too permanent.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

San

Unread postby San » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:44 am

I used to write everything with an old fountain pen I got from my father when I was 13. It was his old pen that he got when he become 21 (1932). It was a Waterman. A new writing point(?) was put on for me.
I loved writing with it. About 7 years ago it starts to leak and it can't be repaired. I have a new Waterman fountain pen, but it is not the same feeling as with the old one.
Like most of you I hardly write letters anymore, everything goes by email. Only cards and little notes I write with my pen.
My handwriting was always bad and not write often makes it worse.
San

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:34 am

A confession. After reading this thread last nite, and being to tired to post a reply, I dreamt all nite about getting another favorite pen having lost it along time ago. And I dreamt about Johnny and his montblanc pen. Weird I know.

My favorite pen as a student was a rapidograph pen. It is very thin and you can refill it like a fountain pen. As a receptionist in an office I loved the fat ball point pens that are sold at costco and the very thin gel type, very smooth. I guarded my pens with dressing them up so I could find them.

I used to do all my writing on a pad and then retype it. But I do so much typing that my hand writing while never good, is unreadable even by me. So I type everything now, if I want to read it.

Ok I am off to buy a rapidograph pen.
http://www.dickblick.com/zz210/03/
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:28 am

Endora wrote:OK, a confession. I am the only one here who always write their draft copies and ideas in pencil. I use paper out of the recyling box, write small and leave big gaps between the lines. There are usualyy a few sheets in my pocket, bag or file. Ieventually do a big edit on the computer. Then anything important (important to me, that is) gets sent to someone else to beta.

I like the freedom of pencil, pen makes any malformed thoughts too permanent.

I don't think you are the only one, Endora. I do. When I mentioned writing out my essays on paper first I guess I didn't say what I used--a mechanical pencil. I'd much rather erase than cross out.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:32 am

Raven wrote:My favorite pen as a student was a rapidograph pen. It is very thin and you can refill it like a fountain pen. As a receptionist in an office I loved the fat ball point pens that are sold at costco and the very thin gel type, very smooth. I guarded my pens with dressing them up so I could find them.

Ok I am off to buy a rapidograph pen.
http://www.dickblick.com/zz210/03/

That's it! That's the pen I used for my leaf drawings.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DarkAngel

Unread postby DarkAngel » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:35 am

To be honest, although I write a lot, I have been never found by a pen... Years back as I still was in school, I had one or two pens I prefered to write with...because my handwriting is very awful and often I´m not able to read what I wrote... :blush: But with those pens I was able to write a bit better...but as they broke I didn´t feel like I lost a lot...I prefer to write with the keyboard of my computer. I´m really very fast... :angel:
But I read a book of my favorite writer Stephen King, the book is called "Duddits" and at the end King said that he wrote the whole book with a pen!!!! Wow, I mean....I wouldn´t be able to do that...it seems like there are a lot of people who prefer to write with a pen and not with the computer...but I really can understand that...with the pen, it´s too slow for me.... :blush:
^^Put a stake through my heart! And drag me into sunlight^^
Lyric by Nightwish

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:39 am

DarkAngel, it's a slower process to write with a pen/pencil. But I think it is more comfortable to me. Sometimes I think I can think more clearly if I get away from my computer to a different setting.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:29 am

Such lovely thoughts! It's interesting to read everyone's comments. When I was writing the question I wondered how many of you would have been "found by a pen" but it seems many of us have. Receiving a handwritten note will always be special. It means the person took time to out of their day to write something special and then took the time to mail it off when it is much quicker to communicate electronically. I also think you can tell something about a person by their handwritin. To me it is just a more personal way to communicate. :writer:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Sioux

Unread postby Sioux » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:23 am

Endora, I write in pencil also. I prefer to erase, but sometimes I'll write a whole paragraph and then read it over and think, 'What rubbish!' and just X it out. LOL I've always got a notebook with me. I take one everywhere, just in case I'm delayed (the car breaks down, etc..) then I'll still be able to write!

And, being left-handed, I always start a notebook from the back, so that the metal spiral is on the right side. That way, my hand doesn't hit it. A little strange, yes, but it works for me. I've been doing that for decades, and I can't imagine having to write in a notebook the right-handed way. LOL :lol:

:chill: :pray:
I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face ~ J.D.

"Nobody move! I've dropped me brain!"

OnceInLove

Unread postby OnceInLove » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:25 am

Liz, Thanks for the welcome.....I was glad to read your post. I'm not the only one then! :cool: Strange, we have a lot in common....I used the same quote for my signature for quite a while. Have a great day and Don't Ever Loose that Pen! :lol:
"Can we in fact pretend that she is anything other than a woman scorned, like which fury Hell hath no..."

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:52 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Such lovely thoughts! It's interesting to read everyone's comments. When I was writing the question I wondered how many of you would have been "found by a pen" but it seems many of us have. Receiving a handwritten note will always be special. It means the person took time to out of their day to write something special and then took the time to mail it off when it is much quicker to communicate electronically. I also think you can tell something about a person by their handwritin. To me it is just a more personal way to communicate. :writer:

I totally agree DITHOT! My handwriting is so bad that when I write on a card I have to really stop and think how to make it nice and legible, I make my own cards sometimes so at least they would have something nice to look at.
I cannot write by hand fast enough, for my thoughts.....
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid

and the envious."

John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:28 pm

This is a very interesting thread!

I've always loved writing and began composing stories when I was about 10 years old. In my twenties I completed two novels but never had the courage to send them to a publisher. These days I'm having a go at fanfiction. I love the gel pens, but they have to be black ink, don't know why, I just can't concentrate with blue!! I write quite fast and my handwriting is truly terrible :blush: therefore, I've never considered it worth my spending a lot of money on a beautiful pen, my handwriting is not worthy!!!!!!!!!! I write my stories in long hand and then transfer it all on to the computer to print them out. I like to write by hand because then I can have my writing with me wherever I go, and in the evenings I can do a bit whilst watching t.v. etc.

Beautiful handwriting is a wonderful skill to have and I think it's becoming a lost art. If you look at old manuscripts, the writing is so elegant. Our friend John Wilmot had neat hand! Imagine how it must have been in those days, writing those long letters using a quill pen......! It's strange to think they couldn't just pick up the phone or e-mail like we can, everything had to be written down.

I've always loved the scene in Out of Africa, where Denys Finch Hatton gives Karen the beautiful pen as a gift to write down her stories, so romantic!
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:46 pm

Although I am a writer, I am embarrassed to admit that I have not been found by my pen yet. I use plain, old ballpoint pens from the store, like Papermate. I almost always have some kind of notebook with me when I go out, although on occasion, when I haven't had anything to write on, I have used brown paper bags, cocktail napkins and any other paper available.

As for letters, I have kept boxes of them. The important ones are from the late 1970s, when I had correspondence with young women I was acquainted with and the musicians we loved. It wasn't uncommon back then to both write or receive an 8 or 10 page handwritten letter, complete with poetry, song lyrics or clippings enclosed, several times a week.

Today, I write lots of emails, but very few letters. When I write an article, review or chapter, I write in longhand first and then I transfer it to the computer. I edit in longhand and afterward again on the computer.

A lovely pen found DH years ago. It is a Tiffany silver pen and it's beautiful. I hope one day my pen shows up.

It was great reading all your responses on this topic. Fascinating, actually. And Liz and DITHOT, great idea for a Monday Night Thread. :cloud9:

DepplySmitten

Unread postby DepplySmitten » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:55 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: And my handwriting has become atrocious since I do so much on the computer!

That's pretty much me too! Ever since I have become used to using a keyboard..my handwriting has slacked! :blush:

I don't have a special pen...but my husband has 2. He once found a Mont Blanc pen in a parking lot..and he still has it... and uses it. This past Christmas I bought him a new one (just like the one Johnny has in the ad :grin:)...and at first he couldn't break away from his old one..but now he loves the new one as much! :cool: He writes alot so they both get used alot!

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:23 pm

wonderful question and even more wonderful answers!

having always had joint trouble - ball points were better than fountain pens as I was never able to keep up a steady rhythm to my writing and so the page looked like "chicken scrattings"

like Phd I too am an office supply store junkie - eventhough I have been 'faithful' to the same pen for decades I love finding something new / different and of course inexpensive (not a fan of the gel pens or very fine nibbed anything) - my excuse is that it is for my knapsack in case I have to sign a cheque or something while I'm out and about - like Endora I love a good pencil too and I have only just 'been found' by a most wonderful pencil (only last year while delighting in the 'back to school supplies') -

I'm on my third computer in fifteen years - the first one I grudging got in order to save time composing children's stories, prayers & sermons each week - I'm sure I drove my congregation crazy as like Liz I "think more clearly away from the computer" and wrote everything long hand in pencil at my desk in the office and then transferred it all to my computer at home - I still think of my computer as 'a publishing tool' rather than 'a writing tool' -

I write as much as I type - sometimes I'm philosophical about it - writing is much more personal and it shouldn't be replaced by computer - then other times I'm more practical - if I don't keep writing (especially on bad arthritis days) then I won't be able to do it well -

this is a little off topic but I can't imagine what is going to be "found" and archived from this generation and on - will 'discs' with everything from our computers downloaded onto them be saved and catalogued for posterity - we have Rochester's own hand and so much of what we know of figures from history is from their own hand or in response to it - I wouldn't have enjoyed using a quill but I think I would have loved living in Victorian England once 'the penny post' came into fashion and letters could be sent and received through out the day (especially if you lived in the city itself) - I could imagine myself spending the morning 'at my desk' replying 'to the post' -

thanks for that orginal interview - there's something deeply romantic about a man and a pen writing his thoughts to his girl - do you suppose Vanessa keeps all her cards and letters tied up with a ribbon in an antique hat box found at a Parisan flea market??????

oh yes - I'm a bit of 'a sharpie' junkie - have been long before Rosie O made a big deal of these markers!!!
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”