Monday Night Thread ~ Have you been found by a pen?

Moderator: Liz

Sioux

Unread postby Sioux » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:06 pm

Hi everyone. I've never been found by a 'special' pen, but I love writing my personal cards in black ink.

When I'm writing, which is daily (one of the hazards - or perks - of the job, LOL) I write in longhand. I have dozens of 5 subject notebooks around the house, much to the dismay of my family! I work better when I'm curled up on the couch, or sitting in bed at night. And then I type everything up on the computer, into my document. I do love the editing on the computer, but I have scratched out entire paragraphs in my notebooks too!

I've gotten lazy over the years and usually email friends, rather than taking the time to write a letter. I keep telling myself that I should get back to it, but I never do.

MY love affair is with paper. I love the school supplies aisle! I feel my blood pressure rise when I'm looking at all the blank paper, and the accessories. I know, I'm a dork, but I'm easy to please! All I need to be happy is a good mechanical pencil and a new notebook.

Thanks for the interesting question! I loved the interview. After reading some of the things Johnny has said, I don't feel quite so alone in my own quirks. :blush:

:chill: :pray:
I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face ~ J.D.

"Nobody move! I've dropped me brain!"

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:16 pm

Sioux wrote:Hi everyone. I've never been found by a 'special' pen, but I love writing my personal cards in black ink.

When I'm writing, which is daily (one of the hazards - or perks - of the job, LOL) I write in longhand. I have dozens of 5 subject notebooks around the house, much to the dismay of my family! I work better when I'm curled up on the couch, or sitting in bed at night. And then I type everything up on the computer, into my document. I do love the editing on the computer, but I have scratched out entire paragraphs in my notebooks too!

Hi Sioux. I can relate to your favorite locations for writing. Those are my two favorite places also. Another one is in front of the wood burning stove on really cold days.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:21 pm

cait, I was fortunate to receive a Mont Blanc pen for Christmas. Not one like we have been seeing in the anniversary thread, but a very nice pen. It is in my purse but I'm always afraid I am going to lay it down somewhere and leave it! :-O

Sioux, when I was a kid my favorite time of year was school supply time! :highfive: The promise of fresh paper and notebooks...I think I was under the dillusion that somehow I would finally get organized that year!
:lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:43 pm

Like theresa, I have a journal where I keep inspirational quotes from the morning thread and sometimes little clippngs and pics of you know who. When I was in high school I started a journal of favorite sayings and song lyrics. I then discovered the calligraphy pen like Liz and was hooked for quite awhile on calligraphy, taking classes in college. I still have my journals and now my 16 year old daughter who also loves to collect inspirational quotes and song lyrics has taken up in my old journal and is adding her special thoughts to it. She does think that my John Denver song lyrics are pretty hokey though. :blush:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:48 pm

luvdepp, that is really cool that your daughter is adding to your journal. What a keepsake that will be! :flashingheart: (And I'm willing to bet that her daughter will find a few of her chosen song lyrics a bit hokey too! :rolleyes:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Sioux

Unread postby Sioux » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:50 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Sioux, when I was a kid my favorite time of year was school supply time! :highfive: The promise of fresh paper and notebooks...I think I was under the dillusion that somehow I would finally get organized that year! :lol:

Me too! My mother must have thought I was completely mad! It's funny to me that I loved the school supplies but hated school. LOL

Hi Liz!
Hi Sioux. I can relate to your favorite locations for writing. Those are my two favorite places also. Another one is in front of the wood burning stove on really cold days.

Oooh, if I had a wood burning stove, I'd be parked in front of it all the time! Sounds wonderful! :cloud9: I've always wanted a house with a bay window, so I could sit and look out at (preferrably) the ocean while I write. *sigh* I guess I'm a landlocked hopeless romantic at heart.

:chill: :pray:
I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face ~ J.D.

"Nobody move! I've dropped me brain!"

PhD

Unread postby PhD » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:58 pm

I am an office supply store fanatic! I love pens, pencils, notebooks, etc. I currently have 2 favorite pens. Both stay in my purse. I love the way the ink flows on to the paper... it's a wonderful feeling! I must admit, though, that I email much more than I write letters, but I do send hand written cards at Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter, birthdays, etc... all written with a favorite pen. All my writing for work and school is now done on the computer, but I was a long-time hold out on that. One day, I'll have a REALLY nice pen ... so far, $30 is the "nicest" pen I've ever purchased.
"Because, you know, it seems to me that, I mean, except for being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal"

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:03 pm

My special pen, the pen that found me, is the stylus attached to my Wacom tablet attached to my Mac. I love writing on the computer. Finally, my fingers can almost keep up with the speed of my thoughts. I think I can visualize the structure of sentences better on a computer acreen.

I used to keep a hand written journal with me at all times, and I always made those entries using a fountain pen. Now I find I’m almost never far from a keyboard, so I will send myself email with the thoughts I used to write longhand in my journal. There was something more special about those journals, but I think that I’m a better writer now.

I’m sure JD would think it a soulless trade-off.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

deedee

Unread postby deedee » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:08 pm

Ever since I got my first Scripto fountain pen at the age of 6, I have used ink pens when writing.My Mom and Dad taught me how to write neatly and cleanly,although I still get a bit of telltale ink fingers. Can't think of anything better to help me think of words and put down my thoughts other than an Ink Pen. I love them and care for them. My precious one is the Mont Blanc my parents gave me when I graduated from college...still my favorite.
Always think that words flow like ink on a page...the dark ink like my thoughts and feelings see the light of day.
"Those who do not like you fall into two catagories..the stupid and the envious."

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:51 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Sioux, when I was a kid my favorite time of year was school supply time! :highfive: The promise of fresh paper and notebooks...I think I was under the dillusion that somehow I would finally get organized that year! :lol:

Me, too, DITHOT!! When I journal, I love having a beautiful notebook with the "perfect" pen...When I find a pen I really like, I'll get a bunch 'cause you never know when you'll find them again.
Even when I'm at the computer, there's a pen right there beside me...I tried journaling on the computer but it just wasn't the same as having the words flow from my head and my heart through my hand and the pen onto the paper....

I'm always making lists...right now the notebook I carry with me is one of the several Captain Jack Sparrow ones I found at WalMart awhile back. My kids gave me some for Christmas, too. The pen I use has black ink and looks sort of like black pearls! :capnjack:
I have several old fountain pens from the 40s and 50s that I use once in a while. I love how they feel and how they sound.

One of these days I will have a Mont Blanc pen.

bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:53 pm

bluebird here again......

You know, the more I think about it, the more I really, really like the idea of being "found" by a pen....what a great way to say it. Leave it up to JD!! He does have a way with words.
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:36 am

bluebird wrote:bluebird here again......

You know, the more I think about it, the more I really, really like the idea of being "found" by a pen....what a great way to say it. Leave it up to JD!! He does have a way with words.

He does. And I never would have thought of it that way if not for him and DITHOT asking the question tonight. In fact, I thought the notion was rather silly until I remembered that one had found me. Sometimes we just have to open to new ways of looking at things. :idea:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Krin

Favorite pen

Unread postby Krin » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:58 am

My favorite pen of all times (and I am picky about the pens I use - they have to feel right and flow properly) - found me, I guess, via a friend of mine. It was a gift given to me a long time ago - I am not sure when exactly, probably at least 20 years. I still have it, but haven't seen any refill cartridges in a long time. I think it's called an "astronaut's pen" and you can write with it upside down, sideways or whatever and the ink doesn't stop - so you don't have to keep shaking it. It came in a special case and is silver. I have gotten a lot of pens as gifts, since I have always had a thing for good pens... but they don't have to be expensive to write well!
Krin

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:21 am

Interesting question. At school yes we were required to use fountain pens from the age of about 8. On the whole I have always prefered Parker Pens but I was given another pen which belonged to my grandfather which I used for many years which had a 22 ct Gold nib. Can you imagine I used to take that to school :-O I don't remember what sort it was though.
I still posses that pen and two others one of which is my steel Parker pen I think given to me as a Birthday or christmas Present when I was 18 I think, not quite sure about that, so I still have them I just never use them.
I did go through a stage where I taught myself Calligraphy, not very well but it looked well enough.But I have forgotten that now. When I do write letters and it has got less over the years I always use whatever is to hand a biro or ballpoint or these gel pens.
the children still use them though for school, they are supposed to use fountain pens although I am sure some children don't.

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:09 am

I remember that I wasn't allowed to use anything but a fountain pen at school. I didn't like them; the ink would blot or smudge. Years ago I bought a nice one, but I never use it. If I did, I would lose it, because most of the time I neeed a pen at work, not home. I always lose things like that.
These days, when I write at home, though, I tend to play around on paper first, planning and jotting ideas down. My favourite bits are where I've written a first draft on paper, because that is so easy to do, whenever the ideas hit me. And if I have typed it up, I absolutely have to print it off to check it or change it.

I love this bit of information about Johnny. It is wonderful.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”