Monday Night Thread ~ Have you been found by a pen?

Moderator: Liz

Linda B.

Unread postby Linda B. » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:15 pm

Just found this thread...

I always write with a pen - yes a special Mont Blanc Starwalker - though it isn't the beautiful one Johnny was photographed with (the fountain pen was incredibly expensive - far more than the regular pen.)

But when I write (all the time - yes- I just don't put much up here) - I always write with a pen on paper - it's the only way I've ever found that allows me to slow down my thought process so I don't miss details. When I write - usually I find it's like watching a movie - after you fall through the paper - and you record what you see. So as not to miss too many details - a pen makes me stop and think about what I'm seeing and what are the right words to describe it.

Also - I'm a passionate letter writer - only to a few long time friends who don't own computer - otherwise - letters are lost to e-mail and relatively unimportant (so to speak.)

What a lovely thread!

I've always thought it was dreadfully important to have the right pen and paper to write with. Yay Johnny for saying that!!
"It's OK to be different, it's good to be different, we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color."

depprespect

Unread postby depprespect » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:25 pm

What a lovely thread. Truth is, I have been found by many a pen. You see, my father was an avid collector of many, many things. One of his collections is an exquisite array of fountain pens. He always wrote with a fountain pen - sometimes to my mother's dismay, when blobs of ink would find their way off of the desk blotter and onto the desktop, or onto his shirt pocket. I honestly do not remember ever seeing him with a ballpoint in his hand. Even in restaurants, he would sign his tab with a special pen drawn from his vest pocket, never even picking up the pen provided for him.
A few of the pens were auctioned off at Sotheby's after his death. Some were very rare and precious and deserved to be in the hand of a true collector. But I still have many, many of them. Each one dear and valuable - because they found my father.

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:21 pm

My father too always wrote with a fountain pen. I have several that he had in his desk when he died, and just looking at them evokes his presence.
I was found by a pen in high school, a Parker with a candy apple red exterior. My handwriting was a thing of beauty when I used it, and I wrote every paper, letter, and term paper with that pen throughout high school, college, and post-grad. It even followed me to my first job.
Its bladder is cracked and stiff and the pen no longer works, but it lives in my jewelry box.
I buy pens all of the time, but no other has found me.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:11 pm

depprespect wrote:What a lovely thread. Truth is, I have been found by many a pen. You see, my father was an avid collector of many, many things. One of his collections is an exquisite array of fountain pens. He always wrote with a fountain pen - sometimes to my mother's dismay, when blobs of ink would find their way off of the desk blotter and onto the desktop, or onto his shirt pocket. I honestly do not remember ever seeing him with a ballpoint in his hand. Even in restaurants, he would sign his tab with a special pen drawn from his vest pocket, never even picking up the pen provided for him.
A few of the pens were auctioned off at Sotheby's after his death. Some were very rare and precious and deserved to be in the hand of a true collector. But I still have many, many of them. Each one dear and valuable - because they found my father.

Depprespect & Stroch, how special that you both still have some of your fathers's special pens.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:29 am

I just have time to check in quickly this morning before work but I just want to say how beautiful all your answers have been so far! I have enjoyed reading each and every one. :cool: Please keep sharing!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:38 am

I have too DITHOT. Very interesting and a pleasure to read.

An inexpensive little pen has found me and I use it at work all the time. Nothing so grand as a Mont Blanc though, which would be nice to own one day. A good writing instrument does make the difference. If I'm writing with a pen I don't care for it is very distracting. A pen should fit comfortably in your hand and flow with your style of handwriting. Certain pens just don't suit how I write and my handwriting ends up looking worse and again I become distracted by it.

This question/conversation reminds me of a part of the first Harry Potter book/movie where Olivander (sp?) says the wand finds the witch or wizard, not the other way around.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:42 am

Its funny though even though I don't use them hardly at all now I couldn't throw them out even though two of them are really chewed at the ends, yes they had plastic barrels including my grandfathers gold nibbed pen :-O this thread has inspired me that perhaps I should reaquaint myself with them :cool:

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”