Page 1 of 7

Monday Night Thread ~ Talking with Authors

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:58 pm
by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Happy Monday, Noodlemantras! :-) Here at ONBC we have been lucky enough to have two authors participate in Q & A sessions with us! :bounce:

First we were able to correspond with Andrew Birkin, author of J. M. Barrie and the Lost Boys, and most recently Joseph Gangemi, author of Inamorata. :cool:

If you could have a Q & A with an author, from the past or the present, who would you choose? It doesn’t necessarily have to be one we have read here at ONBC. :noodlemantra: Who would you choose, why would you choose them and what would you ask? :writer: What say you all?

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:12 pm
by H2H
Great question. I think I would have to pick Diana Gabaldon, author of Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager and several others. They are historical fiction books. They are a series and there are several more after that. The first three are clearly the best. They are about a woman Claire who lives right after WWII in England. She and her husband are visiting a standing stone in Scotland and she travels back through time a little over 200 years. It's suck a mixture of Scottish history and a total love story all the same. I've read those books at least 3 times each.
I guess I'd love to ask her how she figures out which pieces of history to use and how she goes about weaving her characters into the true historical facts. I can't imagine the amount of research it must take to do something like that.
I know the books are called something else in England but I can't find my copy of Outlander at the moment. If you like historical fiction, it's a great read.

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:18 pm
by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
H2H, I love historical fiction! I'm surprised I'm not familiar with this series. I have a feeling that my book list is going to be growing tonight! :cool:

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:20 pm
by cait
Tough question! I'd love to be able to talk with Jane Austen. I've been a Pride & Prejudice fan since I was little. I've read it a couple of times and I'd like to pick it up again in the summer. I've also read Sense & Sensibility and Emma. Northanger Abbey is next on my list.

She wrote so many wonderful roles for women that are still popular today. I don't have any specific questions, I'd just want to listen to her talk.

@ H2H - My aunt is a big fan of the Outlander series. I have the first book in the series and it's on my list to read. :cool:

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:24 pm
by lumineuse
Oh, gosh! This is the first time I have ever been up for the Monday Night ONBC Thread. I don't contibute as much as I gain from the ONBC.

As for authors we have read in the ONBC, I would say Hunter, and I'll bet many ONBCer's would agree. If Hunter would have consented to have a Q & A with us, I think it would have been, well, you know.....hilarious, heartbreaking, deceptive, political, evasive, charming, insulting, and uproarious. And I think he might have done that when he was in better health. He would have gotten a kick out of us, and we would have had an unforgettable moment with someone we all appreciated and would all liked to have known.

Ok. I'm going to have to think about the ones we haven't read. JRR Tolkien comes to mind, CS Lewis, Ernest Hemingway, Margaret Atwood, Dickens, JD Salinger, John Knowles, Herman Hesse. The list is infinfite. So is my reading list!

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:25 pm
by Liz
Cait, that would be interesting--talking to an author from the past. I don't think I can narrow it down to just one author now. :-/

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:27 pm
by Liz
lumineuse wrote:Oh, gosh! This is the first time I have ever been up for the Monday Night ONBC Thread. I don't contibute as much as I gain from the ONBC.

As for authors we have read in the ONBC, I would say Hunter, and I'll bet many ONBCer's would agree. If Hunter would have consented to have a Q & A with us, I think it would have been, well, you know.....hilarious, heartbreaking, deceptive, political, evasive, charming, insulting, and uproarious. And I think he might have done that when he was in better health. He would have gotten a kick out of us, and we would have had an unforgettable moment with someone we all appreciated and would all liked to have known.

Ok. I'm going to have to think about the ones we haven't read. JRR Tolkien comes to mind, CS Lewis, Ernest Hemingway, Margaret Atwood, Dickens, JD Salinger, John Knowles, Herman Hesse. The list is infinfite. So is my reading list!


I have to agree, Lumi, Hunter would be at the top of my list. :cool: Wouldn't that be an interesting experience? :grin:

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:29 pm
by lumineuse
H2H wrote:Great question. I think I would have to pick Diana Gabaldon, author of Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager and several others.


OMG - Outlander series is the best! It's classified as "Romance" in the bookstore now, but it is NOT your mundane romance. It is historical fiction at its best. And you don't have to worry about the heroine's chest heaving - your's will be! If you can read the first Outlander volume without loving Jamie Fasier, well. ye'r' ded then , me lassie"!

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:31 pm
by cait
lumineuse wrote:
H2H wrote:Great question. I think I would have to pick Diana Gabaldon, author of Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager and several others.


OMG - Outlander series is the best! It's classified as "Romance" in the bookstore now, but it is NOT your mundane romance. It is historical fiction at its best. And you don't have to worry about the heroine's chest heaving - your's will be! If you can read the first Outlander volume without loving Jamie Fasier, well. ye'r' ded then , me lassie"!


I wish I didn't have papers to write for the next few weeks or exams in April - I can't wait to read the first book! The day after I finish exams, I'm picking it up! :cool:

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:36 pm
by Charlene
Oh, Hunter for sure. I am really enjoying Hey Rube and am sorry to be coming to the last pages. He had so much to offer...I wish he would have stuck around a bit longer.

Wish that Johnny would be considered an "author" as that would be the ultimate.

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:37 pm
by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
You guys have me really curious now about the Outlander series. I agree Hunter would have been the one author at the top of my list, especially for ONBC. There are so many others, I can't narrow it down to one...and you all don't have to either!

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:37 pm
by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Charlene wrote:Oh, Hunter for sure. I am really enjoying Hey Rube and am sorry to be coming to the last pages. He had so much to offer...I wish he would have stuck around a bit longer.

Wish that Johnny would be considered an "author" as that would be the ultimate.


For all intents and purposes we will put him at the top of the list, Charlene!

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:53 pm
by lumineuse
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:You guys have me really curious now about the Outlander series. I agree Hunter would have been the one author at the top of my list, especially for ONBC. There are so many others, I can't narrow it down to one...and you all don't have to either!


The first time I read Outlander was at a recommendation when I was at an inservice in Atlanta. I was sharing a room with somone much less adventurous than me. Way less, and I NEVER thought I'd like a romance. But it's not!

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:56 pm
by Liz
lumineuse wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:You guys have me really curious now about the Outlander series. I agree Hunter would have been the one author at the top of my list, especially for ONBC. There are so many others, I can't narrow it down to one...and you all don't have to either!


The first time I read Outlander was at a recommendation when I was at an inservice in Atlanta. I was sharing a room with somone much less adventurous than me. Way less, and I NEVER thought I'd like a romance. But it's not!


Lumi & H2H, do you think it is possible to read one of the series without reading the rest? Are there some better than others?

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:58 pm
by QueenofKings
Hunter would definitely be at the top of my list.
And I agree with Lumineuse that it would be great to be able to ask Herman Hesse and Charles Dickens questions. I would have loved to pick Kerouac's brain. As well as William Burroughs'. That would have been better than looking goggle-eyed and stammering some unintelligible hello.