It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 6 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Monday Night Thread (Early) - Remembering Hunter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:11 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Welcome one and all to the Monday, February 20th edition of the Monday Night Thread. This afternoon and tonight we ask you to remember an American original, Hunter S. Thompson. It has been one year since Hunter’s death, and tonight we would like to take time to remember him. We have read his works, howled at the moon in his honor, and are eagerly waiting and hoping to see more of his works made into film. Tonight we would like to honor that Gonzo spirit in word or in pictures.

DITHOT & Liz

This picture was given to Hunter's fans by Anita Thompson in honor of Hunter’s passing. Thank you, Anita. To see the text of Anita’s letter to his fans click here.

http://johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=24511&sid=0596da929ba3bcf2a2ffc22d5900e1c9

“Buy the ticket, take the ride.” ~ Hunter S. Thompson

To see the video tribute to Hunter previously posted on ONBC click below.

https://secure.filesanywhere.com/v.asp?v=%8Aoj%8D%98%90u%7Dq%97

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:18 pm 

Liz and all, I'm going to post a few words here which I wish I could have written myself. They describe how the words of a great writer can hit hit you so hard they bring tears to your eyes. (And believe me, I'm no crier.) There are several passages in HST that have done this for me, notably the Wave Speech, and the passages in The Rum Diary when Kemp describes how his presence destroys the things and places he loves. Being able to put emotion into the words that most of us can never find is a gift that few of us have. We just have to be grateful for those who have that gift, the fire of imagination and social conscience, and the bravery to share it.

Quote:
Then she opened up a book of poems
And handed it to me
Written by an Italian poet
From the thirteenth century.
And every one of them words rang true
And glowed like burnin' coal
Pourin' off of every page
Like it was written in my soul from me to you,

Tangled up in blue.

A lot of you will recognise this as Bob Dylan, to whom F and L was dedicated.

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:24 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Perfect, Endora! :cool: The man had a way with words unlike any other writer. A true original! :notworthy:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:36 pm 

I just want to say thank you to Liz, DITHOT and all the others ladies here at ONBC who, along with Johnny, have inspired me more than anyone else to read Hunter's works -- and MAN am I glad I did.

I remember exactly where I was when I found out about Hunter. Here on the Zone, I read about it on the news page. At first, I was just shocked - and shocked to learn it was a 'self-inflicted gunshot wound' ... then I immediately thought of Johnny and how awful this must have been for him, and obviously, for Anita and Benicio and Laila and all the other friends I knew of at the time.

Though I feel bad at times that I've only gotten to know and explore Hunter after his death, I figure it's better now than never. I've read most of his books, and several biographies on him, and he's just fascinating. I feel so much for the people who lived and saw and contacted him from day to day - he was such a prescence, and I can't imagine being alone in that Owl Farm house - Anita is strong, and like she and Hunter have said, they know she can handle carrying on his legacy.

Reading the Rolling Stone tribute issue to Hunter makes me sob every time. I'm just astounded by how many lives he's touched - how varied the group of people is that are connected with him. And I'm just glad to be a part of that larger group of fans that he's touched, as well. I'm not a crier either, and there have been MANY times, especially since Hunter's death, that I've been brought to tears by both his work, his life, his friendships, and his legacy.

Two things have particularly touched me the most, and ring true to me right now, even though I laugh, smile, cry and revel in awe at just about everything I read of Hunter's. :blush: But the first is his Astounding piece called "Security" -- it's probably one that's well known, and besides the Truth inherent in it, it's even more amazing because he wrote it when he was just 17 years old. I'll post a link to it, just because it's a bit long to post here
(hope it's okay to post the link) http://www.ram.org/contrib/security.html

And a beautiful thing he wrote to Sandy and Juan, from (I believe) the author's note at the beginning of the Great Shark Hunt (or Songs of the Doomed :blush: ?) --

"And may the rights gods fall in love with you, like I did."

Kristen :chill: Sorry so long! But thanks for letting us all take part and say something today :lilyrose:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:44 pm 

I've found this sketch last year, and want to share it with you. I think Ralph Steadman made it.

Made the avatar-pic on June 29 2009... He smiled to ME, ladies...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:45 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Wow! :-O I had never read that piece before. Thanks sharing it, Kristen.

Nice to see you, BTW.
:wave:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:47 pm 

Thanks, Liz! Good to see ya'll too :cloud9:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:54 pm 
JDZ Moderator

marijke wrote:
I've found this sketch last year, and want to share it with you. I think Ralph Steadman made it.

And you would be correct, Marijke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:58 pm 

Liz wrote:
marijke wrote:

And you would be correct, Marijke.

Interview with Ralph Steadman about Hunter: http://www.spikemagazine.com/0905-ralph ... ompson.php

Made the avatar-pic on June 29 2009... He smiled to ME, ladies...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:03 pm 

how is it possible that a year has passed - when I saw the notice for The Monday Night Thread being 'an afternoon thread' I thought how is it possible - who ever said 'that time marches slowly' must have been young for the older I get the faster time seems to pass -

like kirsten I too have really only gotten to know HST after his death and I'd like to thank Liz and DITHOT and other memebers of ONBC who enabled me to go way out of my comfort zone as I read The Rum Diary as well as FALILV :cool:

Hunter really is an American original and my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends as this first anniversary of his passing is marked by them - do you suppose there is a special dispensation for Hunter to have booze and guns in heaven!?!?!?

thanks Liz for hosting this thread today :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:20 pm 

Now you made me cry. I tried hard to avoid it. I bought the Galore magazine with a Johnny interview in it this morning and there was this pic from the Libertine press conference. First thing I saw was the gonzo pin around his neck and I nearly cried at the busstop. Just smiled tenderly at Johnny and had the feeling my heart would burst of all the love I felt for him because of this simple gesture. :cloud9:

I miss the good doctor, although I never met him in person. I feel like he's a good friend who showed me a part of the world I would never seen if I hadn't known his works. He made me laugh and cry. Thank you soooo very very much for this Hunter. :love:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:25 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Dusi, I started getting teary eyed after Endora's post, and have been that way off and on ever since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:13 pm 

It's a comfort to remember and celebrate those who are gone among family and friends.

Some lyrics from the Grateful Dead:

"China Doll"

A pistol shot at 5 o'clock
The bells of heaven ring
"Tell me what you done it for"
"No I won't tell you a thing

"Yesterday I begged you
before I hit the ground -
all I leave behind me
is only what I found

"If you can abide it
let the hurdy-gurdy play -
Stranger ones have come by here
before they flew away

"I will not condemn you
nor yet would I deny"
"I would ask the same of you
but failing will not die

"Take up your china doll
it's only fractured --
and just a little nervous
from the fall"

:heart:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:16 pm 

Thanks, Liz, for hosting this thread in honor of the good doctor. I find it hard to realize that time has passed so quickly--a year already.

I re-read the Wave Speech and confess, I did tear up. The way HST had with words. That particular piece of writing has become my favorite.

Not so long ago, I was going through a box of books I had packed up while cleaning out my dad's place after he passed. I had packed them hurriedly without sorting them; and then they remained in the back of my closet for almost a year until I finally got around to clearing out things.

My point is, one of the books was HST's "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail," his account of the Democratic Convention in Chicago in 1968. It really brought back memories. I was around 13 or 14, I think, then, and I remember my dad and I reading that book together and talking it over. He gave me his opinions of Hunter and his Gonzo journalism and gave me new ways to appreciate his writing and his style.

While remembering Hunter, I also remembered a good time with my dad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:19 pm 
JDZ Moderator

That's pretty special, Charlotte. :hug:

Page 1 of 6 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next