Monday Night Thread ~ Talking with Authors

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:22 pm

suec, that is very interesting about Joyce. We are looking forward to another one of your excellent reports from the field!!! :bounce:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:00 am

suec wrote:The person I would most like to talk to right now is J.P. Donleavy. This is because I had the immense privilege of meeting him recently on one of those ONBC jaunts that I go on from time to time. But looking back on it, I do feel so frustrated, because of all those questions that I should have asked at the time, and didn't. :blush: So, I sure would like another go. But that is greedy of couse.
I have promised Liz and DIDHOT that I will write it up. But this does seem an appropriate place to share a couple of things about Mr Donleavy and James Joyce, because he did have a couple of things to say about that. One was that he had been accused of being like James Joyce and that he had had to go the library and look him up because he didn't know anything about him at the time. The other was that Joyce tried to make his work as difficult as possible, whereas he tried to make his writing as simple as possible.

Suec, did he say when this was--when he had to look up Joyce?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:21 am

Not that I can remember Liz.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”