Monday Night Thread ~ Talking with Authors

Moderator: Liz

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:59 pm

Liz wrote:
lumineuse wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:You guys have me really curious now about the Outlander series. I agree Hunter would have been the one author at the top of my list, especially for ONBC. There are so many others, I can't narrow it down to one...and you all don't have to either!

The first time I read Outlander was at a recommendation when I was at an inservice in Atlanta. I was sharing a room with somone much less adventurous than me. Way less, and I NEVER thought I'd like a romance. But it's not!

Lumi & H2H, do you think it is possible to read one of the series without reading the rest? Are there some better than others?

I loved Dragonfly in Amber and I didn't read the rest... well, yet.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:06 pm

I have to say even though Hunter is special to me it would have to be Greg Roberts. The man is facinating & I loved Shantaram. I loaned my book out the other day to a friend. I hope she is enjoying it. I plan to read it again before Shantaram 2 is released. At least try to anyway.
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:09 pm

QueenofKings wrote:Hunter would definitely be at the top of my list.
And I agree with Lumineuse that it would be great to be able to ask Herman Hesse and Charles Dickens questions. I would have loved to pick Kerouac's brain. As well as William Burroughs'. That would have been better than looking goggle-eyed and stammering some unintelligible hello.

Oh yes! Kerouac too.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:10 pm

V, Roberts is definitely on my short list!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:11 pm

Liz wrote:
lumineuse wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:You guys have me really curious now about the Outlander series. I agree Hunter would have been the one author at the top of my list, especially for ONBC. There are so many others, I can't narrow it down to one...and you all don't have to either!

The first time I read Outlander was at a recommendation when I was at an inservice in Atlanta. I was sharing a room with somone much less adventurous than me. Way less, and I NEVER thought I'd like a romance. But it's not!

Lumi & H2H, do you think it is possible to read one of the series without reading the rest? Are there some better than others?

Oh, NO! Some are better than others, but since you can, you absolutely need to have the chronology. You should read the first book first -if you don't have that, then the series happens chronologically, but you will never get the love, if you don't then. And that is what it is about about
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

JD's First Mate

Unread postby JD's First Mate » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:23 pm

Hope ya'll don't mind me chimming in.....never been here before but here goes in answer to your question.

Virginia Wolf, Edgar Allen Poe, and Truman Capote
The imagination is the very eye of faith.

Drain, drain the bowl, each fearless soul--Let the world wag as it will. Let the heavens growl, the devil howl---Drain, drain the bowl and fill.
~ Anne Bonney-Pirate~

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:24 pm

V, glad to see you here. Roberts is definitely on my list. :bounce:

Lumi, this series is becoming more and more intersting. I wish I had time.
:-/

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:24 pm

lumineuse wrote:

I was in a book club at my library and the second month Outlander was the book to read. I grumbled (to myself, of course), KNOWING that it wasn't "my type" of book. Boy was I wrong (just as I've been wrong several times with ONBC :eyebrow:) I loved it. A couple of months after I read it I got it on cassette tape and listened to it in the car -- lovely with the music and the accent!!!!

And, yes, Hunter would be first choice...will think about others.
bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:27 pm

JD's First Mate wrote:Hope ya'll don't mind me chimming in.....never been here before but here goes in answer to your question.

Virginia Wolf, Edgar Allen Poe, and Truman Capote

Chime in anytime, JD's First Mate. :welcome: to ONBC. All good choices. :cool: I guess I'd better put mine together.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:29 pm

Oh mercy, I have a long book list already, now I'm curious about this Outlander series. If someone could post the names in order, or a few anyway, that would be helpful, thanks.

Now, for the question at hand. So many authors, so little time. I actually would love to speak to the author of whatever book I happen to be reading at the time, but that is not possible. So, I would like to have conversations with Greg Roberts, Virginia Wolfe, Harper Lee, Hunter (of course), Barbara Kingslover, Allen Ginsberg, Tom Robbins, Stephen King, F Scott Fitzgerald, Charles Dickens, Shakespeare, Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou. etc

Oh dear, I hope we weren't suppose to pick just one! :blush:
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:29 pm

bluebird wrote:
lumineuse wrote:

I was in a book club at my library and the second month Outlander was the book to read. I grumbled (to myself, of course), KNOWING that it wasn't "my type" of book. Boy was I wrong (just as I've been wrong several times with ONBC :eyebrow:) I loved it. A couple of months after I read it I got it on cassette tape and listened to it in the car -- lovely with the music and the accent!!!!

And, yes, Hunter would be first choice...will think about others.
bluebird

There are cassette tapes? Now I know I can fit it in. :blush: I have to confess that I, too, had a certain preconception of this series. :eyebrow: But the recommendation from all of you is enough for me. :cool:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:31 pm

KY, our list is very similar. Here is mine:

Hunter
Greg Roberts
Tom Robbins
Lisa See
Barbara Kingsolver
F. Scott Fitzgerald

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:33 pm

lumineuse wrote:
Liz wrote:
lumineuse wrote:

Oh, NO! Some are better than others, but since you can, you absolutely need to have the chronology. You should read the first book first -if you don't have that, then the series happens chronologically, but you will never get the love, if you don't then. And that is what it is about about
:

Diana Gabaldon:
Outlander (ISBN: 0-385-31995-9)
Voyager (ISBN 0-385-33599-7)
Dragonfly in Amber (ISBN 0-385-33597-0)

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:35 pm

Welcome indeed, JD's First Mate! :wave: Please chime in anytime! :sing:

bluebird, I have found that with a couple of ONBC books myself. One thing I have learned is to keep an open mind where books are concerned.

KY, I love your choice of Harper Lee and Maya Angelou. :cool:

I haven't even listed choices because I keep reading what you all write and I could add each one of them to my list!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:48 pm

I just finished reading "The Narnian", a book which was not so much a biography as a chronology of a man's changing beliefs over time and the effect that had upon his writing. A person who did not want to become a Christian, but did, despite himself, become a reknowned "apologist", and the effect that apologetics had upon his beliefs. A person who gave me the gift of "Narnia", which I have had for at least 40 years, and I see my nieces and nephews having for years beyond me. Yes, I wish I could talk to him.

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”