Monday Night Thread - Celebrating Jack Kerouac's Birthday

Moderator: Liz

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:48 am

I have not read anything of him , neither did I know it was his Birthday . We don't hear anything about that over here .
I'm glad you all had such a nice time !
Maybe if I can find an Dutch copy I will read On the Road one day.
I have met other Zoners and will meet some friends again this coming weekend :disco:
The meeting from last year was great and es visited me a few times as we don't live to far apart. I look forward seeing es , Charly , Carasun and Depps-Joke this weekend !
We have a friendship that goes byond (sp?) Johnny . I hope you know what I mean with that , it started out with talking about Johnny , but it became so much more then that.
I have other such good friends here , that I even have not met yet , but they are just as important to me and I hope to meet them one day .
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:25 am

So glad Zoners/Noodlemantras were represented in San Francisco this past weekend. Wish I had been there! :bawl:

Did your town do anything to celebrate Jack’s birthday?~ Are you kidding? My city doesn't even recognize Hunter Thompson and he was born here.

Have you read On the Road or any other Beat books? What did you think of it/them?~ OTR was one of those 'I should read this' books, but only got around to it here in ONBC-land. Glad I did, even if it was a tough 'trip'. I've also read Bukowski, Ginsburg, and various books on the Beat Generation itself.

Have you seen the scroll or do you plan on it? ~ Would love to, but don't think it's coming anywhere near me.

Have you had or are you planning on having any Zoner meet-ups or road trips? Tell us about them. ~ I have had a few Zoner road trips: to see FN at a film festival before it's official release and then a great trip to LA for the AFI festival. Great fun to be with women who revel in the same things you do in life. I'm looking forward to more, that's for sure!

Gypsylee, can't believe you lost your book! Bummer, Ted.

Great quote dharma_bum! That's so 'Johnny'.

Nebraska and DITHOT, have a great time oogling that drummer....I mean, enjoying the music! :blush:

Charlene and Susanne, glad you were able to drool over the Earl together.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:55 am

Charlene wrote:Have I read on the road....yes, twice....and....don't whip me with a noodle....it did't get any better the 2nd go round....*sigh*

The closest I've gotten to seeing anthing anywhere it that blurb that was in the Washington Post re the museum opening....and I knew there must have been more so I just went on the post online and found this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/Search?keywords=Jack%20Kerouac

Have I met with other zoners recently.......Susanne and I have met up twice now in 4 days to see Lord Wilmot together....and what fun it has been to giggle, whisper, nudge, sigh, drool and question scenes together. Not to mention the girl is a wealth of knowledge on l7th century history. It is soooo much fun to see this movie with someone who loves Johnny the way we zoners do.

...have I answered the questions...my mind is now distracted with visions of the Earl.

Charlene, at least you haven't given up on Jack. So glad you could enjoy the Earl with a fellow Zoner. And looks like we missed that auction by a day. Dang. :lol:

Dharma, love that Johnny quote!

KY, I wish you and DITHOT had been there too.
:bawl:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:56 am

ibbi 3 wrote:
We have a friendship that goes byond (sp?) Johnny . I hope you know what I mean with that , it started out with talking about Johnny , but it became so much more then that.
I have other such good friends here , that I even have not met yet , but they are just as important to me and I hope to meet them one day .

Ibbi, I know exactly what you mean. :grouphug: Have fun this weekend!

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

askmewhy

Unread postby askmewhy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:48 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Definitely can't have enough hottie drummers in the world! :bounce:

Yes, I would have to agree with you there.:thumbsup:
Thou shalt not commit adulthood!

Johnny, what's your favorite word?
~WHY~

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:09 pm

Late to this one.

I read OTR when I was about 17, and it made the biggest impression on me. I read the whole lot after that, but never liked them as much as OTR. I think OTR caught me at a stage in life when it said what I wanted to hear. That and the style of prose, which doesn't allow the reader to breathe! From that I moved on to the poets, so Qof K, I am enthralled at the idea of you meeting Ferlinghetti. He was my absolute favourite. All of that made me want to study English at University, I filled in all the forms, but at the last moment decided to change to another subject, I couldn't bear the thought of the destructive side of lit crit taking the magic out of the words.

Many of you will know that I left all literature alone for a very long time, and only made my way back, oddly, starting with a reread of OTR, because of Johnny. So it's very special to me.

Last month I was lucky enough to go to NY. QofK kindly pointed me in the dirction of the ideal guide book about The Beat Generation in NY, and I stood in front of the house where OTR was written and found myself in heaven. It was one of life's perfect moments. I was also able to visit many of the bars that figured in their lives and works.

I have visited many many places in the UK with literary associations, but because Kerouac has had such an influence in what I have done in life, those down at heel bars and terraces were more beautiful to me at least than all of Wordsworth's lakes, Shakespeare's middle England, and the Dorset of Hardy.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:50 pm

That's wonderful Endora. Glad you were able to get to see some places of importance to you on your trip. It's so interesting how certain works of literature impacts us all differently or impacts ourselves differently at various times in our lives.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

askmewhy

Unread postby askmewhy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:01 pm

Endora wrote:I stood in front of the house where OTR was written and found myself in heaven. It was one of life's perfect moments.

OMG Endora! That gave me chills reading it! I would love to do that.

It was so moving to be in the presence of the manuscript, I just kept staring at it, not wanting the moments we were there to ever end. To see his notes and paragraph breaks jotted down in pencil, and the scratches over the names (because in the original manuscript they are all the real names of people and places)...it was so unbelievable to be standing there viewing it.

What I found the most interesting were the things he decided to scratch out. I wondered why among all of those feet of story he would go back and take out one sentence. I would read the sentence over and over and try to figure out why he didn't want that particular sentiment to be included in the final version of the book. Then I thought, this is the only place I would ever have read those words, no where else do they exist!! (that I am aware of anyway)

It was, as you said, one of life's perfect moments.

~WHY~

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:13 pm

askmewhy wrote:
Endora wrote:I stood in front of the house where OTR was written and found myself in heaven. It was one of life's perfect moments.

It was so moving to be in the presence of the manuscript, I just kept staring at it, not wanting the moments we were there to ever end. To see his notes and paragraph breaks jotted down in pencil, and the scratches over the names (because in the original manuscript they are all the real names of people and places)...it was so unbelievable to be standing there viewing it.

What I found the most interesting were the things he decided to scratch out. I wondered why among all of those feet of story he would go back and take out one sentence. I would read the sentence over and over and try to figure out why he didn't want that particular sentiment to be included in the final version of the book. Then I thought, this is the only place I would ever have read those words, no where else do they exist!! (that I am aware of anyway)

Endora, that is very exciting for you that you were able to do that. Did you take any pics? And Askmewhy, I know what you mean about the scroll. I feel so fortunate to have been able to view it. I just wish I had taken notes. However, I will be doing a brief story about this as part of our Beat Tour. So keep a sharp eye, Noodlemantra's.

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:46 pm

I was very disappointed last summer when the On the Road scroll's display in D.C. was cancelled.

I just "Googled" and found a site with the tour schedule.
http://www.jackkerouac.com/about/ontheroad.htm

Looks like I'll be able to experience it in NYC....eventually. I really appreciate hearing about the Depp Divas' tour.

bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

askmewhy

Next Year

Unread postby askmewhy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:07 pm

Looks like next year on Jack's birthday (March 12) it will be in Denver!! I bet they'll do it up right!! :bounce:

~WHY~

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:49 pm

askmewhy wrote:

I guess when the scroll comes to NYC next year I will need to go and visit with it. As a writer myself I'd like to see which sentences he crossed out and try to figure out the reasons why like you did, askmewhy.

And, Endora, if you do have pictures of the Kerouac places you visited, it would be nice to see them. The only pictures I saw from your trip were the ones you took in the blizzard. And I love how you put that, "One of life's perfect moments." Describes that feeling exactly.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:48 pm

I have two years to wait before it comes to Austin but at least it will be here! :bounce:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:05 pm

About Zoner meetings -- I was supposed to meet with Abigail last summer....at the last minute, someone called in sick and she had to go to work. :bawl: I was really disappointed because I was looking forward to meeting her. I was on another trip, and we just had that one chance and it didn't work out. I did get to talk to her on the telephone, however, so that almost counts.

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:18 pm

QofK wrote:I guess when the scroll comes to NYC next year I will need to go and visit with it. As a writer myself I'd like to see which sentences he crossed out and try to figure out the reasons why like you did, askmewhy.

Same here, QueenofKings. We'll have to compare notes....or better yet, plan a East Coast Depp Divas NYC tour for fall of 2007....

bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”