Monday Night Thread - Celebrating Jack Kerouac's Birthday

Moderator: Liz

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:34 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Liz, I am indeed going to see that drummer! :-O

QofK, that is quite a literary collection. Do you have any Kerouac signed editions?

Sadly, no. One of my friends has quite the collection though. Maybe someday I'll get to see it. We don't live at all near each other, so we only see each other at events, music festivals, book signings.

On a side note, I am very in favour of hottie drummers! And I wish you guys a great time!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:39 pm

QueenofKings wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Liz, I am indeed going to see that drummer! :-O

QofK, that is quite a literary collection. Do you have any Kerouac signed editions?

Sadly, no. One of my friends has quite the collection though. Maybe someday I'll get to see it. We don't live at all near each other, so we only see each other at events, music festivals, book signings.

On a side note, I am very in favour of hottie drummers! And I wish you guys a great time!

Definitely can't have enough hottie drummers in the world! :bounce:

One of these days I'll get down to the museum at the Univerity of Texas and get a good look at their collection. When the scroll comes through would be a good time since they will probably have at least some of the other items on display as well. I'm told that you have to fill out a reason for wanting to see the items but "just because" is an acceptable reason!
:cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:17 pm

QueenofKings wrote:
Liz wrote:
QueenofKings wrote: And I have had coffee at Vesuvio, but they have moved twice I believe since then.

Oh really! That's :interesting: I have been by City Lights 3 times in the last 2 years and have yet to see Ferlinghetti, although I hear he is there quite often. I'm always prepared with my questions, but for not. :-/

Blame my faulty memory, but DH says it's the pizza joint that moved twice and not Vesuvio.

I mostly asked Ferlinghetti about literary stuff, influences, some chonology, etc. DH had an in-depth conversation with him about substances and mutual acquaintences. I think he spent a lot of time behind the counter at the times we were there. Like most of his time. I don't know about now. Most of my friends have left San Francisco and I haven't visited in quite a while, especially since Jerry died. I think it's been 10 years, no nine years! Time passes really quickly when you get older.

I think it's about time you go back, then. It's a great place!
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

bluebird

Re: Monday Night Thread - Celebrating Jack Kerouac's Birthda

Unread postby bluebird » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:42 pm

Liz wrote:Yesterday would have been Jack Kerouac’s 84th birthday. This past weekend, six of us Zoners met in San Francisco to celebrate. :bounce: We saw the On The Road scroll, went to City Lights Bookstore, had coffee at Vesuvio (a Beat hangout) and to The Beat Museum, which was going to celebrate his birthday with a party last night at 7:00 p.m. Neal Cassady’s son, John, was scheduled to be there to talk. Unfortunately, all of the Depp Divas had to head out of Frisco by 5:00 p.m. :bawl: I will be taking you on a tour this week of these places, beginning tonight with Vesuvio. http://johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=411124#411124

I have a number of questions tonight to cover in the Monday Night Thread. Some you will be able to answer, some not. Participate where you can. Happy Monday, Noodlemantras!

Did your town do anything to celebrate Jack’s birthday?

Have you read On the Road or any other Beat books? What did you think of it/them?

Have you seen the scroll or do you plan on it?

Have you had or are you planning on having any Zoner meet-ups or road trips. Tell us about them.

Lots of questions....and information.

1. No, I didn't know it was Jack Kerouac's birthday...I have a great imagination, but must admit I can't imagine what he would be like at 84.....
2. Zoner Road Trip...Glad you could work it out and that you had a great time. And thanks for sharing with us.
3. The scroll...I made plans last summer to go to DC to see it, but then because of renovations at the Smithsonian in the American History building, they cancelled it.....I keep watching for it to come close again. I think it's in NYC in 2007...note to self....check it out....
4. My town???? Do something to celebrate Kerouac. Hah! Not .......... likely.
5. Yes, I read On the Road....don't know if I can tell you why I liked it. There were parts that I didn't like, but I also couldn't stop reading it....
6. I've read some Ginsberg and Burroughs, but not lately. I also have "Jack Kerouac -- Windblown World -- The Journals of Jack Kerouac 1947-1954," edited by Douglas Brinkley sitting on the table beside me...one of these days, I'll read it from start to finish. I've just picked it up and opened it and read bits and pieces.
7. Meet up with Zoners for a road trip? I'd love to....name the time, name the place.

bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:44 pm

My love of Johnny lead me to Jack Kerouac,firstly to OTR and then to lots of his other books...I can't believe I rejected OTR when I was younger..what was I thinking of?I loved it this time around,just as I loved FALILV,The Ginger Man,Dylan Thomas..so I guess I'm into the stream of consciusness style..I also read Naked Lunch,which was really hard going and I've read lots of bio's of Kerouac and Cassady..and anything I can get my hands on..I struggle with Ginsgerg's poetry,but it sure has opened my eyes...Happy Birthday Jack :bounce:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:45 pm

One more thing....

DITHOT wrote: Definitely can't have enough hottie drummers in the world! :bounce:

You've got that right!!!!!!!!

bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Still-Rather-Timid

Unread postby Still-Rather-Timid » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:56 pm

I haven't read On the Road since I was 20, and that was over30 years ago, but I remember that for the most part I loved it, but was vaguely aware, perhaps, that it seemed rather unflattering to my gender, if I remember correctly.

When I read the references to "Vesuvio" and to meeting other Zoners in such close proximity to one another, the first thing I thought of was Mt. Vesuvio, overlooking Naples, Italy, where last June I had my one and only meeting with an old Zoner from the past, Aries! I've never been to San Francisco, but before I go there, I really must make it to Austin, which is much closer, to meet up with DITHOT and all the Austin Zoners.

Maybe we should have a pilgrimage to Owensboro.

Is anyone up for renting a car in Southern France? I have some Delta frequent flyer miles I must use up!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:57 pm

bluebird wrote: 3. The scroll...I made plans last summer to go to DC to see it, but then because of renovations at the Smithsonian in the American History building, they cancelled it.....I keep watching for it to come close again. I think it's in NYC in 2007...note to self....check it out....

Bummer, Ted. It doesn't seem fair. :-/

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:09 am

Still-Rather-Timid wrote:I haven't read On the Road since I was 20, and that was over30 years ago, but I remember that for the most part I loved it, but was vaguely aware, perhaps, that it seemed rather unflattering to my gender, if I remember correctly.

When I read the references to "Vesuvio" and to meeting other Zoners in such close proximity to one another, the first thing I thought of was Mt. Vesuvio, overlooking Naples, Italy, where last June I had my one and only meeting with an old Zoner from the past, Aries! I've never been to San Francisco, but before I go there, I really must make it to Austin, which is much closer, to meet up with DITHOT and all the Austin Zoners.

Maybe we should have a pilgrimage to Owensboro.

Is anyone up for renting a car in Southern France? I have some Delta frequent flyer miles I must use up!

SRT, long time no see! You must go to Austin. Not only is it a great town, but great people live there.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:11 am

Hey, SRT! Good to see you around these parts again! :wave: I keep telling you to come to Austin one of these days... of course the south of France would be an acceptable alternative!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:21 am

Liz wrote:Yesterday would have been Jack Kerouac’s 84th birthday. This past weekend, six of us Zoners met in San Francisco to celebrate. :bounce: We saw the On The Road scroll, went to City Lights Bookstore, had coffee at Vesuvio (a Beat hangout) and to The Beat Museum, which was going to celebrate his birthday with a party last night at 7:00 p.m. Neal Cassady’s son, John, was scheduled to be there to talk. Unfortunately, all of the Depp Divas had to head out of Frisco by 5:00 p.m. :bawl: I will be taking you on a tour this week of these places, beginning tonight with Vesuvio. http://johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=411124#411124

I have a number of questions tonight to cover in the Monday Night Thread. Some you will be able to answer, some not. Participate where you can. Happy Monday, Noodlemantras![/b]

Good evening! I was one of the very lucky six zoners who made it to San Francisco this past weekend. A wonderful time was had by all! It's always fun to meet up with like-minded women and get crazy! And we did! :bounce: My only complaint was that we were missing a couple of zoners who really wanted to be there and couldn't. But there's always next time, right? :hope: We did manage a "virtual toast" with them though over the phone! :capnjack:
Liz wrote:Did your town do anything to celebrate Jack’s birthday?

Have you read On the Road or any other Beat books? What did you think of it/them?

Have you had or are you planning on having any Zoner meet-ups or road trips. Tell us about them.

I wasn't in town this weekend, but I don't think mention was made of Jack's birthday. :-/

I attempted to read OTR a while back. I think it was the 2nd book I read that had anything to do with Johnny. I had a really hard time with it and I believe it was because it was so different than anything I had read before. I don't think I was ready for it, to be honest about it. I have now read many, many books that have expanded my reading experiences and I am going to go back and give OTR another try. (After I finally finish The Ginger Man :blush: )

I saw the scroll in SF and it was a really cool experience to be able to see the very paper that Kerouac typed on and made changes on. The whole exhibit was very well done and very interesting.

I've had a couple of other zoner adventure weekends and they have always been so much fun! I've made friends to last a lifetime and I'm forever grateful to have been given that opportunity! :grouphug:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:38 am

My town didn't do anything so I went to San Francisco and hung out with a bunch of Depp Divas and had a great tour guide to boot!!! I had a blast ladies and yes, we did get a tad crazy. OH!!! Johnny's picture is on the wall at the Beat Museum. Now that was a treat. Several of us ran drooling over to the wall. :drool:

I read On the Road twice and I was in the process of reading Dharma Bum, but just realized that I lost it. Bought it and lost it in the same day. Can you beat that? It's either on the plane or laying on the floor in the airport. I'm bummed because I bought it at the Beat Museum. :bawl: I enjoyed OTR. I doubt I could ever pull off a trip like that. I kind of want a little hint of where I may be sleeping each night! But Jacks writing was beautiful and it really made one think.

Yes!!! I got to see it and it is VERY impressive. Just to think that Jack typed every single word of it in 20 to 21 days. :writer: He is a very good speller! Makes one pause when you realize that all those years ago he was holding that manuscript in his hands and slaving over it. I was quite interested in the parts he lined out and decided to not include in the book. The entire manuscript was there, just part of it was kept rolled up. It was in a glass case and you could read it very clearly. The paper is very thin and in amazing condition. Lots of hand written notes were included, but were difficult to read.

So if you are in any area that the manuscript will be going to I recommend going and seeing it.
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:12 am

I'm sure somewhere in Los Angeles a boehmian coffee is being raised...

I've read On the Road and the Dharma Bums (duh!). A lot of reviewers talk about the two books as if they are the same adventures with different characters, but think of them as very different. For me, On the Road is about accidental enlightenment—kicks, joy and darkness. Dharma Bums is more of an intentional spiritual journey—coming to terms with a life less ordinary.

Truely amazing. It's both fragile and powerful at the same time.

Have you had or are you planning on having any Zoner meet-ups or road trips.
What happens on the road, stays on the road.

I'll end with one of my favorite JD quote about Jack:
Do you ever feel a bit Kerouac?
Only when I wear his raincoat... When I put it on, the stains on it, those stains of sweat, alcohol, smoke and sex are still alive.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

catharsis

Unread postby catharsis » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:00 am

I have a number of questions tonight to cover in the Monday Night Thread. Some you will be able to answer, some not. Participate where you can. Happy Monday, Noodlemantras!

Ask much as I love Kerouac, I did not know it was his birthday today! Drinks all around! :toastingpirates:

I highly doubt anyone in the entire state of Montana has even heard of Jack Kerouac. So I can't imagine any celebrations going on.

I have read On The Road and absolutely loved it. It really effected me. I started Desolation Angels but have yet to have time to get into it.

I haven't seen the scroll but I would love too.

Zoner meetups? Well as bluebird said, name the time and place :grin:
"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." -e.e. cummings

"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." The Last Unicorn

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:19 am

Have I read on the road....yes, twice....and....don't whip me with a noodle....it did't get any better the 2nd go round....*sigh*

The closest I've gotten to seeing anthing anywhere it that blurb that was in the Washington Post re the museum opening....and I knew there must have been more so I just went on the post online and found this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/Search?keywords=Jack%20Kerouac

This I found most interesting----first editions sold to benefit Katrina victims...wonder if Johnny got word?
Beat Memorabilia Auctioned for Benefit
The Associated Press
Friday, March 10, 2006; 1:51 PM

SAN FRANCISCO -- An auction of first-edition books, handwritten manuscripts and letters by Beat Generation writers Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg and Charles Bukowski raised $225,000 to benefit a publisher left homeless by Hurricane Katrina.

New Orleans resident Edwin Blair, 69, said Thursday he reluctantly agreed to auction the items he had been collecting for 40 years as a way to help his friends, Gypsy Lou Webb and her husband, Jon, who published some of Bukowski's earliest works.

One of the auction's rarest items, an autographed 1960 first pressing of Bukowski's "Flower, Fist and Bestial Wail," sold for $9,775, the highest bid of the day.

Other items that drew aggressive bidding included a first-edition pressing of Ginsberg's "Howl" inscribed by the author, which fetched $7,475; two typed letters from Bukowski that went for $4,025; and a 1945 photo of Hal Chase, Kerouac, Ginsberg and William Burroughs together at Columbia University that sold for $7,745.

Blair more than quadrupled the $50,000 he hoped to raise to help pay the Webbs' living expenses after their home was destroyed in the hurricane.

"She's in her 80s now and was going to be living in a trailer after the storm," said Blair. "That just ain't right."

About 30 bidders showed up at PBA Galleries near the North Beach neighborhood and several hundred, including representatives from universities and specialty libraries, bid from other locations.

Have I met with other zoners recently.......Susanne and I have met up twice now in 4 days to see Lord Wilmot together....and what fun it has been to giggle, whisper, nudge, sigh, drool and question scenes together. Not to mention the girl is a wealth of knowledge on l7th century history. It is soooo much fun to see this movie with someone who loves Johnny the way we zoners do.

...have I answered the questions...my mind is now distracted with visions of the Earl.

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”