Monday Night Thread - Johnny Characters

Moderator: Liz

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:01 pm

dharma_bum wrote:Great question!!!

I am most like the Earl mellowed into Roux. If there was a dare, I took it. If there was a closed door, I opened it. I there were rules, I broke them. I challenged everything and used creativity as an excuse to be selfish. These days I’m happy to be defined by what I love and not what loves me back. I still question everything and want what I can’t have, but I accept what I’m given with a bit more grace.

Who would I rather be more like? Who wouldn’t want to dance between the raindrops and never see a half empty glass that you couldn’t make full. Captain Jack, of course.

I want to be dharma_bum!!!!

Oh, sorry. A Johnny character....I would like to be like Captain Jack Sparrow. He has such spirit and enthusiasm and love of life. He always keeps his "eye on the prize." He dances "beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free...."

bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

b.p. olive

Unread postby b.p. olive » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:07 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Liz. I've never been home on a Monday night, and rarely venture from the pics, clips and "Pit." But, I saw this thread and had to join in. It's something of an exploration of one's self, using Johnny's characters as the jump off points. Goodness knows he's encompassed most types of personalities in his career.
It's been fascinating reading all the posts, and I've learned a bit about the personalities of those who have posted. And through that, a bit more about myself, too. Thanks again. :goodvibes:

Rainey wrote:Wow... this is a tough one...

CHARACTER(S) MOST LIKE:

I would have to say that I'm a combination between Mort Rainey and J.M Barrie. I think I'm like Mort because I love to just lounge around looking like a mess. I'm not crazy like Mort though. Well, maybe a little, but not THAT bad :lol: I also like Doritos and Mt. Dew and my dog follows me around alot like Chico followed Mort. Oh and I once had braces and glasses :mort2: I also think I have some James in me. I LOVE kids! Even if they aren't my own, I love them all. I also tend to daydream about what Heaven may be like or sometimes even Neverland ( which at times I would just love to escape to for a day ). Oh and I've danced with my dog, ;-)

CHARACTER I WOULD MOST LIKE TO BE:

I love all of the characters, but I think I'm gonna stick with Rainey and Barrie. :cool:

:applause2: Not many people I know have the courage to like themselves the way they are. Including me. :applause:
"I just don't, ya know, I mean, I just don't dance. Ya know. - - I don't get it. - - It's not my thing." -- Johnny Depp ("It Came From Baltimore" on the "Cry Baby" DVD)

Captain Jack: "Well . . There is a chest."
Norrington: "Oh Dear."

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:12 pm

Wow, I come to visit and these are the questions you ask? Sheesh. Tough ones girls!
1. Tell us what Johnny character you most resemble and explain why. We’ll allow up to a combo of two Johnny characters.

I think I am most like Gilbert and Wiliam Blake. Like Gilbert I feel trapped out of loyalty. Afraid to make a break or think about myself. Like Blake, I tend to be naive and have walked into some pretty bad situations. I am definitely trying to change these characteristics because I think there is a whole different me inside just waiting to get out and with the help of some of my friends here on ONBC, you know who you are, I have made some big steps getting out of the box I'm in and boy, I have had a blast.

and

2. What Johnny character would you rather be more like?

Absolutely without a doubt Roux. The life he has is the life I want. Carefree, taking "home" with me wherever I go. I travel more than I used to. But I still have a youngen at home in school so I need to stay responsible at this time in my life. I want to move on, see new things, take in all the adventures, big and small. But I also wish I was more brave, like CJS. To be so confident and optimistic. So yes, I am picking two characters here...... PIRATE! :capnjack:
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

ThirdArm

Unread postby ThirdArm » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:38 pm

Excellent questions. I really enjoyed reading the responses, too.

As for me, after some thought, I guess I'm a blend of Sam and Gilbert. Sam is so sweet and thoughtful, trying to make people happy. Gilbert has these responsibilities, care-giving and so forth. I don't want to sound selfish and resentful, but sometimes it's just too :censored: much, trying to take care of everything and everyone, putting oneself last. It took me a lot of years to realize that taking some 'me-time' isn't being selfish. It's being careful of one's health and sanity, as it were.

As to who I'd like to be. That's easy. A mix of Captain Jack and Sands. One line in POTC that got to me was, "What the Black Pearl REALLY is, is freedom." Yeah, that's the ticket.
~No doubt the years have changed me.~

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:56 pm

Good MNT Liz and DITHOT. It's been interesting to see what others say about themselves.

Johnny character(s) I most resemble- I guess that would be Gilbert and Wm Blake , with a smidge of Duke (sans the drugs). Gilbert for his yearning for something else, Blake for his growth and spiritual journey, and Duke for his observations of life.

Johnny character(s) I would rather be more like- I want to be a pirate, so it's Cpt Jack, with some Roux, Cesar and The Earl thrown in for good measure (I know that's more than the allotted amount). Each is an independent spirit, with an certain amount of self-confidence, cleverness, and a sense of who they are and where they fit in.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:47 pm

There seems to be a trend here towards wanting to be more like CJS & Roux. But I can't say I'm surprised. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:08 pm

Don't want to get to philosophic here. But I thought the choices fit into a pattern.

Many see themselves as either nurturers(Gilbert, Sam,) or artists (Barrie), or rebels (Earl, Sands).

Alot of people seemed to agree on what they would like to be --almost unanimously is to be free, (Roux or Captain Jack) and in control of their own destiny.

Maybe that is why we come here. Here we are inspired by a man who personifies freedom of thought and expression.

Maybe he helps us be free. Or gives us the illusion that we are....

(okay thats toooo heavy, man)
I have finally found a way to live just like I never could before.
I have finally found a way to live in the presence of the lord ~ E. Clapton

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:16 pm

Kittycat88 wrote:Don't want to get to philosophic here. But I thought the choices fit into a pattern.

Many see themselves as either nurturers(Gilbert, Sam,) or artists (Barrie), or rebels (Earl, Sands).

Alot of people seemed to agree on what they would like to be --almost unanimously is to be free, (Roux or Captain Jack) and in control of their own destiny.

Maybe that is why we come here. Here we are inspired by a man who personifies freedom of thought and expression.

(okay thats toooo heavy, man)

It may be heavy, and I've been known to over-think things, but that is exactly what I was thinking, Kittycat.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:01 am

Kittycat88 wrote:Alot of people seemed to agree on what they would like to be --almost unanimously is to be free, (Roux or Captain Jack) and in control of their own destiny.

That is exactly what Johnny has done for me......helped me to be freer. I have learned so many new things.
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:18 am

I've deliberately not posted for a while,because I couldn't make up my mind :dunce: ..I love your responses..particularly yours Liz and Rainey...I'm a rebel,a fighter,always battling at windmills...so maybe I should be Don Quixote :-O I guess I see myself as a Rochester,but without the self-destructive tendencies..,plus a little bit of William Blake..because of his spiritual journey...[I see my life very much as a journey]........Who I'd like to be?... :capnjack: ..because of his love of freedom and because he sails the seven seas...I also wouldn't mind being Tommy :cloud9:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:25 pm

I have found it really interesting how different parts of almost all Johnny's characters have touched out lives! Great answers everyone! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”