Monday Night Thread ~ Oscar Week!

Moderator: Liz

cait

Unread postby cait » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:41 am

Liz wrote:
Johnny Fanatic wrote:I will definitely be watching the Oscars on Sunday night. My parents and I have a tradition each year where we try to see who can guess the highest correct number of winners on Oscar night. Whoever wins gets to choose a restaurant they'd like to go to. I love this contest because I usually win! :lol: It's because I always try to see as many of the nominated movies and performances each year as possible. Plus, I always follow the Oscar race on the Internet and try to keep track of who is favored in each category.

The only two Oscar nominated movies I missed out on this year were Good Night, and Good Luck and The Constant Gardener. And I'm really sorry about missing those two because both received great reviews.

I'm very sorry that Johnny wasn't nominated this year, and I would love to see Corpse Bride win, but I have a feeling Wallace & Gromit is going to take it. It has been winning pretty much every award it's been nominated for so far. :-/

The Constant Gardener was very good--esp. Rachel Weisz

I saw The Constant Gardener and I think Rachel Weisz has a good chance at winning on Sunday. She's taken home a few awards already.

I missed out on Good Night and Good Luck. :-/ I'll have to rent it when it comes out.
Dirt...this is a jar of dirt.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:25 am

dharma_bum, I love your invitation! :capnjack:

We'll have to check back next week and see how our crystal balls fared. I hope Tim gets a nod too. The sets and costumes were wonderful in C&TCF! I was sure Big Fish would take home an award last year, he is definitely due!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:35 am

Love the invitation, Dharma_bum! :applause:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:20 am

Liz wrote:I also like Reese. I think she did a fabulous job in WTL. I'm not sure what to say about best actor. I didn't really like Joaquin. I'm not sure why. I think Heath was better. I haven't seen Capote, Crash or Good Night Good Luck yet.

I loved WTL too! It was a great movie. The singing was fantastic. I think both BM and WTL were both really good but for different reasons. WTL was great because of the performing musical aspect of it and the storyline, but BM was great because the storyline was beautiful. It was a beautiful love story. Crash is a great movie. Everyone should see it. It starts with a car accident between a white detective and a black man. They exchanged gun fire and no one knows who shot first. So Don Cheadle and I forget the lady he's with are investigating it. Then it goes to Brendan Fraser and Sandra Bullock. BF is the district attorney for LA and SB is his wife. They are walking down the street and at the sametime there are two african american guys played Ludcrious and someone else. THey highjack their car. It just becomes a cycle of everyone assuming that their out to harm them and it's full of racism. But in the end everything comes back to them because they see the people again but in a different situation where they have to help each other. It's a very moving movie.

SamIam
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Larkwoodgirl

Unread postby Larkwoodgirl » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:09 pm

I will probably watch it intermittently. I predict that Crash will win best picture, Phillip Seymour Hoffman will win best actor, Felicity Huffman will win best actress, and Rachel Weisz will win supporting actress. Ang Lee will probably get best director.
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

deppdevoted

Unread postby deppdevoted » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:32 pm

I'm with you Larkwoodgirl - I will probably half pay attention while I surf the web or something!

But I will be watching in support for Tim and for the CatCF costume nod. I hope they both win! Both are incredibly deserving! I think Felicity Huffman is a great actress as well, I haven't see Transamerica, but I love her on Desperate Housewives.

And Jon Stewart is hosting, I love his show, so it should be a fun time in that respect!

DeniseB

Unread postby DeniseB » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:33 pm

Like most of you I'll be watching the show this year. I've really gotten into the Oscar over the last 3 years and now I try to see almost all of the nominated performances if possible. I've fallen a bit behind this year, but from reading reviews and checking out Oscar sites I've got my list of winners picked out. Just to name a few...

Crash (amazing movie that I thought could lose out to Brokeback, but it's picked up some steam in the other award shows so I think it could actually pull out the Best Pic win)

Philip Seymour Hoffman (I haven't seen Capote YET, but I love his previous work and think he's an amazing actor. If he doesn't win my second choice would be Heath Ledger)

Reese Witherspoon (I thoroughly enjoyed WTL and I think Reese was the most amazing part of that movie. I think she's a shoe-in)
"Jack Sparrow...me knew de wind blow ya back to me one day!"

"Oh bugger!"

"I got a jar of dirt, I got a jar of dirt."

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:48 pm

Very interesting thread ladies, nice to hear what everyone thinks, I didn't realise people had Oscar parties, this is a fun idea!

As GilbertsGirl said, the Oscars are shown during the night here in the UK. I've only ever stayed up for it when Johnny's been involved, or previously Russell Crowe who is another actor I love. One of the few positives about Johnny not being nominated is not having to sit up until the early hours in the cold!

Having been fortunate enough to see The Libertine and see what Johnny has achieved in it, I'm finding it hard not to feel bitter about the Academy's snubbing of Johnny this year. Won't get into the politics of all that again, but can only reiterate my feelings that I have little respect for the Academy now when they can ignore a performance of this magnitude - I'm not just saying this because it's Johnny, I'm saying it because his performance in this film is truly remarkable - I don't think there are many other actors working today who would be capable of it, but there you go.

I'm hoping PSHoffman might win for Capote, as he seems to have completely submerged himself in the role. I'm pleased for Keira but if it makes any sense, I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing if she doesn't win - she's very young and to win at 20 sets a very high benchmark of expectation for future work. Her profile is sky-high at the moment, but she still has a lot to prove.
It would be great fun to see Tim win, but I agree with everyone here, it looks like a shoo-in for Wallace and Gromit.

I must confess I haven't seen many of the nominated films yet, so I mustn't judge them I suppose. Brokeback Mountain has been so over-hyped I confess this has actually put me off it! I'm very tired of the politics of awards ceremonies and the way certain films and actors are pushed forward every year - at each ceremony - SAGS,GG's, Oscars etc., it's the same crowd of actors from the same handful of movies doing the rounds. In many ways it is all completely ridiculous and meaningless.

Lovely to see Johnny soaking up the sun, I'll bet he's quite glad he hasn't got to get suited up next weekend and go through all the hoopla!
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:38 pm

I forgot to give my predictions:

Best Actor
Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Capote”

Best Supporting Actor
Paul Giamatti in “Cinderella Man”

Best Actress
Reese Witherspoon and/or Judi Dench (could be a tie)

Best Supporting Actress
Rachel Weisz in “The Constant Gardener”

Best Direction
Ang Lee

Best Adapted Screenplay
“Brokeback Mountain”
Screenplay by Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana

Best Picture
“Brokeback Mountain”
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

cait

Unread postby cait » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:53 pm

I'll give my predictions too. I'm voting for my uncle's Oscar pool soon. I'm still not sure what to do about some of the technical categories! :eyebrow:

Looks like we have a lot of the same predictions, Liz! :cool:

Best Picture:
Brokeback Mountain

Best Actor:
Philip Seymour Hoffman

Best Actress:
Reese Witherspoon

Best Supporting Actor:
Paul Giamatti (or maybe George Clooney)

Best Supporting Actress:
Rachel Weisz (Amy Adams was great in Junebug though!)

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Brokeback Mountain

Best Original Screenplay:
Crash

Best Director:
Ang Lee
Dirt...this is a jar of dirt.

Larkwoodgirl

Unread postby Larkwoodgirl » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:43 pm

Larkwoodgirl wrote:I will probably watch it intermittently. I predict that Crash will win best picture, Phillip Seymour Hoffman will win best actor, Felicity Huffman will win best actress, and Rachel Weisz will win supporting actress. Ang Lee will probably get best director.

I forgot my best supporting actor. I am going with George Clooney.
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:07 pm

Jackslady wrote: Having been fortunate enough to see The Libertine and see what Johnny has achieved in it, I'm finding it hard not to feel bitter about the Academy's snubbing of Johnny this year. Won't get into the politics of all that again, but can only reiterate my feelings that I have little respect for the Academy now when they can ignore a performance of this magnitude - I'm not just saying this because it's Johnny, I'm saying it because his performance in this film is truly remarkable - I don't think there are many other actors working today who would be capable of it, but there you go.

:applause: I completely agree! That is one of the reasons I am having a hard time caring about this year's ceremony. The one who really deserves the honor wasn't on the list.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:59 pm

Oops, I forgot to give my predictions! Liz and Cait, I agree with all of your choices. :cool: Supporting Actor is a really tough category to predict. It seems that Paul Giamatti, George Clooney, and Matt Dillon all have equal chances of taking home the Oscar. It will be interesting to see who wins in that category.
"Breath. We tend not to think much about it. Each one is a blessing--every inhale, every exhale." -Johnny Depp

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:40 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Jackslady wrote: Having been fortunate enough to see The Libertine and see what Johnny has achieved in it, I'm finding it hard not to feel bitter about the Academy's snubbing of Johnny this year. Won't get into the politics of all that again, but can only reiterate my feelings that I have little respect for the Academy now when they can ignore a performance of this magnitude - I'm not just saying this because it's Johnny, I'm saying it because his performance in this film is truly remarkable - I don't think there are many other actors working today who would be capable of it, but there you go.

:applause: I completely agree! That is one of the reasons I am having a hard time caring about this year's ceremony. The one who really deserves the honor wasn't on the list.

Thanks liz! I really don't want to sound churlish, I do know there are many other very talented actors out there working, besides Johnny. I'd certainly put PSHoffman and Joaquin Phoenix in that group. My whole gripe is that Johnny should have been nominated and his performance therefore acknowledged, even if he didn't win if that makes any sense. It is disgusting when the Academy can ignore a performance of such raw sensitivity and intelligence and only goes to illustrate the frustrating politics involved.

No doubt Johnny's performance is just one of several the Academy have glaringly chosen to ignore. I was watching Pride & Prejudice on DVD last night and was struck by how wonderful Donald Sutherland is playing Mr Bennett - definitely worthy of a Best Supporting Actor nod, but of course the Academy have their own agendas of who they want to win. Our BAFTAS are no better - George Clooney was nominated for two performances in one category, how can that be fair :-? :-/
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:57 pm

Liz and DITHOT, please forgive me! It was your quote I was replying to DITHOT, and I thanked Liz by mistake!! :blush: :blush:
Sorry ladies, it's my age I think :blush:

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”