Monday Night Thread ~ Oscar Week!

Moderator: Liz

cait

Unread postby cait » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:26 pm

kristen wrote:I've gotta say, I wasn't really a fan of Brokeback. :blush: Not for political reasons, mind you ;-) - but I just didn't feel anything with it, it didn't capture me like I thought it was trying to.

I was actually the opposite. I went to see it because I like to see as many of the Best Picture nominees as I can. I wasn't expecting to really enjoy it but it's a film that has stayed with me weeks after seeing it.
Dirt...this is a jar of dirt.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:26 pm

kittycat, trust me you will feel that way on March 10. Sometimes there truly is no justice.

QofK, I'm thinking they know about that tape and choose not to use it.
:-O
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:28 pm

cait wrote:
kristen wrote:I've gotta say, I wasn't really a fan of Brokeback. :blush: Not for political reasons, mind you ;-) - but I just didn't feel anything with it, it didn't capture me like I thought it was trying to.

I was actually the opposite. I went to see it because I like to see as many of the Best Picture nominees as I can. I wasn't expecting to really enjoy it but it's a film that has stayed with me weeks after seeing it.

I have to agree with you on this, Cait. It was much more powerful than I ever expected it to be.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:33 pm

I went in expecting it to be a decent film, and thought it would move me - even though I didn't want it to. (I saw it on that fateful January 13th, after all :banghead: ) but I was willing to like it. Just didn't grab me and I thought the reviews and talk about it was overhyped. But I'm glad other people can enjoy it :cool: I just let the hype get to me. :blush:

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:48 pm

On Mondays at work I will sometimes mention that we saw a movie over the weekend. I frequently get a raised eyebrow and puzzled look from a coworker and more than once have been told that I see movies no one else has ever heard of. This means that in addition to "Brokeback," I've seen "Mrs Henderson Presents," "The Squid and the Whale," "Good Night and Good Luck," "Crash," and several other contenders. As good as they were, since Johnny wasn't in any of them, I'm not really emotionally invested in any of them, and so I might watch only to see how Jon Stewart does.

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:54 pm

I will definitely be watching the Oscars on Sunday night. My parents and I have a tradition each year where we try to see who can guess the highest correct number of winners on Oscar night. Whoever wins gets to choose a restaurant they'd like to go to. I love this contest because I usually win! :lol: It's because I always try to see as many of the nominated movies and performances each year as possible. Plus, I always follow the Oscar race on the Internet and try to keep track of who is favored in each category.

The only two Oscar nominated movies I missed out on this year were Good Night, and Good Luck and The Constant Gardener. And I'm really sorry about missing those two because both received great reviews.

I'm very sorry that Johnny wasn't nominated this year, and I would love to see Corpse Bride win, but I have a feeling Wallace & Gromit is going to take it. It has been winning pretty much every award it's been nominated for so far. :-/
"Breath. We tend not to think much about it. Each one is a blessing--every inhale, every exhale." -Johnny Depp

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:02 pm

Johnny Fanatic wrote:I will definitely be watching the Oscars on Sunday night. My parents and I have a tradition each year where we try to see who can guess the highest correct number of winners on Oscar night. Whoever wins gets to choose a restaurant they'd like to go to. I love this contest because I usually win! :lol: It's because I always try to see as many of the nominated movies and performances each year as possible. Plus, I always follow the Oscar race on the Internet and try to keep track of who is favored in each category.

The only two Oscar nominated movies I missed out on this year were Good Night, and Good Luck and The Constant Gardener. And I'm really sorry about missing those two because both received great reviews.

I'm very sorry that Johnny wasn't nominated this year, and I would love to see Corpse Bride win, but I have a feeling Wallace & Gromit is going to take it. It has been winning pretty much every award it's been nominated for so far. :-/

The Constant Gardener was very good--esp. Rachel Weisz

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:04 pm

fansmom, I know what you mean about not being emotionally invested in the nominees this year. Although, I really liked Good Night and Good Luck and Mrs. Henderson Presents. I too, am looking forward to seeing Jon Stewart! I hope he lives up to his potential!

Johnny Fanatic, I like your family tradition! All :hope: crossed for Corpse Bride... (but I have to admit I am a Wallace and Gromit fan from way back... :shhh: )
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:07 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:fansmom, I know what you mean about not being emotionally invested in the nominees this year. Although, I really liked Good Night and Good Luck and Mrs. Henderson Presents. I too, am looking forward to seeing Jon Stewart! I hope he lives up to his potential!

Johnny Fanatic, I like your family tradition! All :hope: crossed for Corpse Bride... (but I have to admit I am a Wallace and Gromit fan from way back... :shhh: )

I forgot to say that I am rooting for Judy Dench. I think she is a wonderful actress and did an outstanding job in Mrs. Henderson's Presents. That was one of my favorite movies this year--next to TL and CATCF, of course.

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:12 pm

I love Dame Judi as well, Liz, and Mrs. Henderson Presents was another one on my list to see :cool:

I'm a Wallace and Gromit fan, but never saw the movie - and I couldn't root against Johnny and Tim no matter how hard I tried, anyway :lol:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:18 pm

kristen, I agree about not rooting against Tim and Johnny. At least if Wallace and Gromit win I have a fall back position. :lol: And I will be rooting for Judy Dench! She was fabulous as Mrs. Henderson!!!! :applause:

Wow! What a ride!

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:20 pm

Liz wrote:
Johnny Fanatic wrote:I will definitely be watching the Oscars on Sunday night. My parents and I have a tradition each year where we try to see who can guess the highest correct number of winners on Oscar night. Whoever wins gets to choose a restaurant they'd like to go to. I love this contest because I usually win! :lol: It's because I always try to see as many of the nominated movies and performances each year as possible. Plus, I always follow the Oscar race on the Internet and try to keep track of who is favored in each category.

The Constant Gardener was very good--esp. Rachel Weisz

I like Rachel Weisz. I think she's a very talented actress, so that's a main reason that I wanted to see that movie. I guess I was just too busy seeing Capote, Crash, Munich, Match Point, A History of Violence, Brokeback Mountain, Walk the Line, North Country, Pride & Prejudice, etc. Good Night, and Good Luck is one I probably should have seen though since it was nominated for Best Picture. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for the DVD!
Last edited by Johnny Fan on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Breath. We tend not to think much about it. Each one is a blessing--every inhale, every exhale." -Johnny Depp

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:22 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Johnny Fanatic, I like your family tradition! All :hope: crossed for Corpse Bride... (but I have to admit I am a Wallace and Gromit fan from way back... :shhh: )

I have only seen a couple of the Wallace and Gromit short films, and it was quite a while ago, so I don't really remember too much about them. I may rent Curse of the Were Rabbit just to see what all the hype is about! It received excellent reviews. I'll admit that it looked funny from the trailer! :cool:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:35 pm

Johnny Fanatic wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Johnny Fanatic, I like your family tradition! All :hope: crossed for Corpse Bride... (but I have to admit I am a Wallace and Gromit fan from way back... :shhh: )

I have only seen a couple of the Wallace and Gromit short films, and it was quite a while ago, so I don't really remember too much about them. I may rent Curse of the Were Rabbit just to see what all the hype is about! It received excellent reviews. I'll admit that it looked funny from the trailer! :cool:

I haven't seen Curse of the Were Rabbit but I am a fan of all the old Wallace and Gromit shorts so I hope the movie lived up to the previous efforts. I saw Munich as well. What a powerful movie!

Wow! What a ride!

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:46 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Johnny Fanatic wrote:

I haven't seen Curse of the Were Rabbit but I am a fan of all the old Wallace and Gromit shorts so I hope the movie lived up to the previous efforts. I saw Munich as well. What a powerful movie!

I thought Munich was very powerful too, DITHOT. It's definitely one of those movies that you can't get out of your head after you leave the theater. I love movies that make you think and encourage discussions. Munich, A History of Violence, and Brokeback Mountain were three of the most powerful films I saw last year, and all of them led me to have interesting conversations with the people I saw them with afterwards.

Speaking of Brokeback Mountain, I was extremely impressed with that movie. When I first went to see it, I thought that it wouldn't be able to live up to all of its hype. But I LOVED it. I really believe Heath Ledger should get the Oscar for Best Actor this year. I honestly never thought he would be capable of giving a performance as layered and complex as the one he gave in Brokeback Mountain. I think this movie deserves every award it has been winning too. Although, some people are saying that if Brokeback Mountain lost Best Picture, it would probably go to Crash. And I thought that was an excellent film too. I still want Brokeback Mountain to win Best Pic though!

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”