Monday Night Thread ~ Oscar Week!

Moderator: Liz

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:58 pm

Jackslady wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Jackslady wrote: Having been fortunate enough to see The Libertine and see what Johnny has achieved in it, I'm finding it hard not to feel bitter about the Academy's snubbing of Johnny this year. Won't get into the politics of all that again, but can only reiterate my feelings that I have little respect for the Academy now when they can ignore a performance of this magnitude - I'm not just saying this because it's Johnny, I'm saying it because his performance in this film is truly remarkable - I don't think there are many other actors working today who would be capable of it, but there you go.

:applause: I completely agree! That is one of the reasons I am having a hard time caring about this year's ceremony. The one who really deserves the honor wasn't on the list.

Thanks liz! I really don't want to sound churlish, I do know there are many other very talented actors out there working, besides Johnny. I'd certainly put PSHoffman and Joaquin Phoenix in that group. My whole gripe is that Johnny should have been nominated and his performance therefore acknowledged, even if he didn't win if that makes any sense. It is disgusting when the Academy can ignore a performance of such raw sensitivity and intelligence and only goes to illustrate the frustrating politics involved.

No doubt Johnny's performance is just one of several the Academy have glaringly chosen to ignore. I was watching Pride & Prejudice on DVD last night and was struck by how wonderful Donald Sutherland is playing Mr Bennett - definitely worthy of a Best Supporting Actor nod, but of course the Academy have their own agendas of who they want to win. Our BAFTAS are no better - George Clooney was nominated for two performances in one category, how can that be fair :-? :-/

thats interesting because I thought Donald Sutherland was completly miscast as Mr Bennett :lol:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:19 pm

Jackslady wrote:Liz and DITHOT, please forgive me! It was your quote I was replying to DITHOT, and I thanked Liz by mistake!! :blush: :blush:
Sorry ladies, it's my age I think :blush:

No worries, Jackslady. I get confused sometimes myself. :-) :blush:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:21 pm

Liz wrote:
Jackslady wrote:Liz and DITHOT, please forgive me! It was your quote I was replying to DITHOT, and I thanked Liz by mistake!! :blush: :blush:
Sorry ladies, it's my age I think :blush:

No worries, Jackslady. I get confused sometimes myself. :-) :blush:

No worries! Somedays we aren't sure either! :mort3:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

In-too-Depp

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:39 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Johnny Fanatic wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Johnny Fanatic, I like your family tradition! All :hope: crossed for Corpse Bride... (but I have to admit I am a Wallace and Gromit fan from way back... :shhh: )

I have only seen a couple of the Wallace and Gromit short films, and it was quite a while ago, so I don't really remember too much about them. I may rent Curse of the Were Rabbit just to see what all the hype is about! It received excellent reviews. I'll admit that it looked funny from the trailer! :cool:

I haven't seen Curse of the Were Rabbit but I am a fan of all the old Wallace and Gromit shorts so I hope the movie lived up to the previous efforts. I saw Munich as well. What a powerful movie!

I'm a big W&G fan and I've just bought Were Rabbit to watch this weekend. I agree that I think it will win instead of Corpse Bride although I will be disappointed for Tim if it does.

I would love to see Dame Judi win, she's an absolutely wonderful actress and a very funny woman. We all know of course that it's between Rachel and Reese and my guess is Reese will get it.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”