DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Monday Night Thread ~ Oscar Week!

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:32 pm

Here we are, Oscar week and no

Or

To look forward to… :bawl:

and of course we should have been seeing :libertine:

On the list of nominees. :banghead:

Will you be watching the Oscars? Any special plans or parties? Are you looking forward to any particular category?

Care to pull out the crystal ball and make any predictions? What say you all?

Image :parrot:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

cait

Unread postby cait » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:35 pm

Oscars? I love Oscars! :cool: I'll be in Orlando on Sunday night but I'm planning on staying in and watching them with my friend in our room.

My uncle runs an Oscar pool every year. I think I came in 5th last year, not sure that will happen again! I haven't voted yet and I could use some help in the technical categories! :-O

I have a feeling Brokeback Mountain will win Best Picture.
Dirt...this is a jar of dirt.

Glendaleigh

Unread postby Glendaleigh » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:41 pm

I love to watch the Oscars, although I complained a lot last year. I think everybody who wins deserves their time on stage with a podium and all eyes forward!

I've watched for as long as I can remember. My mom watches, too. I love to see what everybody wears and now I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing Isaak Mizrahi again. I thought he was a blast!

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:47 pm

Cool, Cait! :cool: Have fun in Orlando :capnjack: - wish I was there right now!

I don't really plan on watching them, but I may end up doing that Sunday anyway. :blush: I like the fashion, I'll admit it. And I'm just too dang curious not to, so :rolleyes:

Admittedly, I didn't see many of the films that are nominated, but I am pulling for Walk the Line. Reese and Joaquin did a fantastic job in that movie, and Reese has always been a huge favorite actress of mine - I hope she wins! I'm glad Keira's nominated, though, because she's cute, and I'm glad she's getting some accolades early on in her career. :cool:

For Best Actor, I'm hoping for PS Hoffman - only because of the possible connection to Johnny through I, Fatty. :lol: :blush: It'd be great to see a bit of an underdog win; likewise with the movie Crash, which I was surprised was so good, and surprised to see it nominated - great movie!

I could probably go on about a whole bunch of other categories :blush: -- but needless to say, we'll all be pulling for Corpse Bride as the Best Animated Feature! :zoner:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:48 pm

cait wrote:Oscars? I love Oscars! :cool: I'll be in Orlando on Sunday night but I'm planning on staying in and watching them with my friend in our room.

My uncle runs an Oscar pool every year. I think I came in 5th last year, not sure that will happen again! I haven't voted yet and I could use some help in the technical categories! :-O

Orlando is a long way from home. Sounds fun! :bounce: I hope you are right about Brokeback, Cait. :hope:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

cait

Unread postby cait » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:50 pm

^^ Hi kristen! :wave:

I think Reese and PS Hoffman will both go away with the Oscar on Sunday. :cool: I saw Walk the Line and Capote and they were both very good!

cait

Unread postby cait » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:52 pm

Liz wrote:
cait wrote:Oscars? I love Oscars! :cool: I'll be in Orlando on Sunday night but I'm planning on staying in and watching them with my friend in our room.

Orlando is a long way from home. Sounds fun! :bounce: I hope you are right about Brokeback, Cait. :hope:

I'm excited to go! :cool: I went for the first time when I was six and have been there a few times since then.

I saw Brokeback and I'm hoping it wins too! :hope:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:57 pm

I also like Reese. I think she did a fabulous job in WTL. I'm not sure what to say about best actor. I didn't really like Joaquin. I'm not sure why. I think Heath was better. I haven't seen Capote, Crash or Good Night Good Luck yet.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:10 pm

I may watch some of the Red Carpet -- I do like to see what the women are wearing. But if Johnny's not going to be there I probably won't watch any of the rest of it. I'm not a big fan of award shows. I always want to strangle the winners when they start thanking everyone they ever knew.

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:13 pm

There is an Oscar pool at my office every year, and every year I lose. But it's fun to play, and that's why I do it.

This year my vote for Best Candid Photos Taken in the Bahamas goes to Johnny Depp. :rotflmao:

But seriously, I really wish The Libertine had gotten its due.
I do like Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote, Walk the Line and Crash.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:15 pm

I have to admit that I am pretty far behind in my Oscar movie watching this year. I think Phillip Seymour Hoffman is such a good actor that I would love to see him win for Capote, even if I haven't seen the movie. Then there would be another person that comes to mind that deserves an Oscar but has yet to receive that honor... I have seen Good Night and Good Luck and it was very well done.

I have watched the Oscars and other awards shows for years and love to look at the dresses and hairstyles and often wonder what were they thinking? :eyebrow: Like Bjork and the dead swan?
:lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:18 pm

All I know is if on March 10th I come out of the theatre as impressed as I am hoping to be...I will personally want to :censored: :censored: someone who initials are HW. If this performance is anywheres near what I have heard about here, he'll have been robbed.

But I won't be mad, I won't be mad....the h*ll I wont be mad!!
I have finally found a way to live just like I never could before.
I have finally found a way to live in the presence of the lord ~ E. Clapton

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:20 pm

I'll be having a friend of mine over. She comes over to watch other awards show with me too. It's becoming a tradition. We love to see what they will wear and predict who will win.

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:22 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
I have watched the Oscars and other awards shows for years and love to look at the dresses and hairstyles and often wonder what were they thinking? :eyebrow: Like Bjork and the dead swan?
:lol:

I think that a lot of people are going to remember Bjork and her dead swan dress for many years to come. What amazes me is the number of women who haven't discovered double-sided tape and they fall out of their dresses in public. Makes you almost think that maybe some of them want it to happen.

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:22 pm

I've gotta say, I wasn't really a fan of Brokeback. :blush: Not for political reasons, mind you ;-) - but I just didn't feel anything with it, it didn't capture me like I thought it was trying to.

Don't worry, Kittycat :hug: I know how you feel -- but whenever I get annoyed at how Johnny hasn't won an Oscar yet, I think of the fact that I just KNOW it will happen some day, and waiting another few movies will only make it sweeter. :cool:

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”