Monday Night Thread (Early) - Remembering Hunter

Moderator: Liz

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:34 pm

Cheers - even though I've only got water ;-) I, too, think it's a good thing that Carrie is without her Chivas tonight -- :capnjack: And deedee -- :lol: unbelievable. BIG cheers to you and the Richmond crew you somehow gathered as well. :cool:

These posts have really done me in - thanks so much for sharing the insights ya'll have, mostly because you are Hunter's generation; you lived it as he lived it, and he was more a leader to ya'll than he was to me -- BUT I think the message I've learned from Hunter and all the things you have to say about him, is that it will always live on, no matter when or where or why or how you read him, the work, the words speak for themselves. Thanks so much to Hunter, and to all the people who made his writing and publications possible, because Hunter thrived off of those around him.
Anita's message also got me thinking about Johnny as well, and what/how everyone's doing tonight as they celebrate their good friend and mentor ..... :eyebrow:
Last edited by kristen on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deedee

Unread postby deedee » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:35 pm

Ladies, I may have been rip-snortin whoopsied by the time the great bottle rocket debachle occured on Monument Ave (could almost sound like an Arlo Guthrie song), but trust me it went nowhere near "man of my dreams" with the officer, now Sargeant. Way too young for me, cutie pie yes, but I haven't gotten to that Mae West stange in my life .....YET !!! :yikes:
"Those who do not like you fall into two catagories..the stupid and the envious."

SavvyTBird

Unread postby SavvyTBird » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 pm

deedee wrote:Ladies, I may have been rip-snortin whoopsied by the time the great bottle rocket debachle occured on Monument Ave (could almost sound like an Arlo Guthrie song), but trust me it went nowhere near "man of my dreams" with the officer, now Sargeant. Way too young for me, cutie pie yes, but I haven't gotten to that Mae West stange in my life .....YET !!! :yikes:

LOL! Deedee, your a love! LOL! :lol: No, not Mae West, just a mother hen! LOL! :biglaugh:

Love you Deedee :hug:

Good night one and all. :cool: ... Time to turn in... Dr appointment early.. :censored: Kisses and cheers to all! :grouphug:

:wave:
Savvy TBird

?
X

CarrieKY

Unread postby CarrieKY » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 pm

deedee wrote:Ladies, I may have been rip-snortin whoopsied by the time the great bottle rocket debachle occured on Monument Ave (could almost sound like an Arlo Guthrie song), but trust me it went nowhere near "man of my dreams" with the officer, now Sargeant. Way too young for me, cutie pie yes, but I haven't gotten to that Mae West stange in my life .....YET !!! :yikes:

Ahh heck...go for it Deedee! I'm picturing Faye Dunaway and Johnny! Now, turn around... :yikes:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:51 pm

deedee wrote: Ladies, I may have been rip-snortin whoopsied by the time the great bottle rocket debachle occured on Monument Ave (could almost sound like an Arlo Guthrie song),

:biglaugh: I can hear it now... Good one!

I'm turning in for the evening as well but please carry on. Back to work tomorrow... :banghead:
Thanks everyone for your insightful, witty and touching posts! :grouphug:

Rest in peace, Hunter. We miss you.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

deedee

Unread postby deedee » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:53 pm

OK Carrie, what's in the Diet Coke????
This is starting to sound like 7 months ago...dejavu. Can't wait to hear from our friends across the pond. They should just about be waking up in an hour or two. Hope they all put in their thoughts as well... :sailboat:
"Those who do not like you fall into two catagories..the stupid and the envious."

CarrieKY

Unread postby CarrieKY » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:56 pm

deedee wrote:OK Carrie, what's in the Diet Coke????
This is starting to sound like 7 months ago...dejavu. Can't wait to hear from our friends across the pond. They should just about be waking up in an hour or two. Hope they all put in their thoughts as well... :sailboat:

Nada, nothing....just remembering fondly our night together saluting the great Hunter, and what fun we had. Hey Johnny and Hunter are/were anything but reverant! They would want us to be just a little ribald.

Carry on, folks. It was fun.

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:16 am

I don't think there was any other proper way to celebrate the evening that night, seven months ago :lol: Good to see you all here again, sharing similar thoughts about Hunter. Thanks everyone! Each story and post was so touching, I enjoy reading them so much!

- Adrienne seemed to say it quite well ;-) : Rest however you want to, Hunter, be it in peace or in utter raucous mayhem up in that sky of yours.

:chill: :grouphug:

deedee

Unread postby deedee » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:18 am

One final thought for the night and I'm off to Neverland...
Johnny if by some reason of total insanity you are sneaking a peak in on us tonight....we wish you well, and thank you from every depth and breath for unveiling the man Hunter S Thompson to so many. Your sharing of one who was/ is your friend,mentor,and brother and everything that language can not begin to cover, has meant so much to us all. Thank you...

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:08 am

Everyone has been so eloquent so I will just repeat what you all said:
I want to thank everyone who contributed tonight and to Johnny who opened our eyes to Hunter. May he rest anyway he feels like.

Here is something I made this year. I could not figure out what was in the middle of the dice so made it the two thumbed fist for Hunter. And then after I made it I could not figure out what to do with it.

Thanks again!

Raven :rocknroll:
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:57 am

I don't have the words to say what I am feeling, but my heart is feeling a lot. Missing you very much Hunter. :tear:
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

neophyte

Unread postby neophyte » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:27 am

Always a day late and a dollar short, aren't I?

I can only say that I celebrate HST in the best way I can - politically. I can't write like him, but I can still make my voice heard.

I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it..HST left us when we needed him most. But then, maybe it was his way of shaking some of us up enough to continue our fight with more vigor and intensity.

"Politics is the art of controlling your environment" - HST (If haven't read this little gem in Hey Rube, here's a link: http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/feature.php?feature=824 )
"There is no King, who, with sufficient force, is not always ready to make himself absolute."
---Thomas Jefferson

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:02 pm

deedee wrote:One final thought for the night and I'm off to Neverland...
Johnny if by some reason of total insanity you are sneaking a peak in on us tonight....we wish you well, and thank you from every depth and breath for unveiling the man Hunter S Thompson to so many. Your sharing of one who was/ is your friend,mentor,and brother and everything that language can not begin to cover, has meant so much to us all. Thank you...

Eloquent deedee. You speak for us all.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:18 pm

Charlene wrote:
deedee wrote:One final thought for the night and I'm off to Neverland...

Eloquent deedee. You speak for us all.

Ditto. :cool:

Neophyte, that is probably the best possible way that one can honor Hunter. :thumbsup:

Raven, I'm glad you figured out what to do with your drawing. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:44 am

Here's an article on his memorial, plus a short video..''Saying a Gonzo goodbye''..[On the right hand side of the page] :cool: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20050820/thompson_sendoff_050820/20050820/
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”