Monday Night Thread (Early) - Remembering Hunter

Moderator: Liz

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:15 pm

"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

catharsis

Unread postby catharsis » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:16 pm

I've just been relaxing all day, listening to good old songs like "Spirit in the Sky" and re-reading some favorites. I plan to pop F&L in later and I expect to get fully emotional listening to the Wave speech. Johnny reads it so well...

I just thought I'd share a wallpaper I made around the time of the send-off, I believe.

Here's to you, Hunter. May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face. And may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." -e.e. cummings

"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." The Last Unicorn

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:17 pm

Beautiful dharma_bum!! :cool: Well done catharsis!
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Tigress

Unread postby Tigress » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:21 pm

First of all, thank you Liz and DITHOT for having this thread in honor of Hunter today.

I'm in the same boat as a lot of you here, and I only knew Hunter through Johnny, and some of Hunter's work. But even though I haven't read a lot of it yet, I get a kind of feeling that I know him just a little bit each time I read something knew. And I also don't know why I've been crying, but I have. He was a force; an intense, beautiful force.

This is something I wrote about him a little earlier.

Hunter,
You were a man of greatness, genius, and love. You wrote from your heart, and started a completely new way of writing for journalists. Gonzo writing is becoming more popular now than ever, but will never be the way you made it. No one on this planet can possibly live up to the genius way in which you wrote.

We all know you were a man of value and pride. Never one to give up without a fight - or give up at all for that matter. You lived life your way, and never let anyone tell you what to do. You done it the way you wanted, and it always turned out great. Never did you make anyone do anything they didn't want to. You were a loyal friend to many people, and looked up to by many more. I look up to you, Hunter, and wish I could have been one of those few friends who saw the real you.

Many people loved you, and still love you. At least you knew that. Your time came before it should have, but if that's the way you wanted it, i'm not gonna tell you otherwise! You went out with a bang - the way you were meant to, and the way you lived. So here's to you, Hunter. Rest whatever way you want to, and if you don't want to rest at all, do that too, and don't let anyone :censored: ing stop you.

Love you Hunter S Thompson. You will always be remembered...

and one more shorter one...

You're up to the Spirit now, Hunter. You're loved, and missed, greatly. Your words live on in your books and articles, and your life will always be remembered. I've shed tears today, and many days in the past, but I'll stop, because I know you probably wouldn't give a darn. Good-bye, dear Hunter, and I hope that one day, we will meet. See you around, buddy. Love ya.

It's hard to believe that was a year ago today. My mom and cousin couldn't believe it either. I'm sure most of us know what it's like to lose someone we love, so I'm keeping all of Hunter's family and friends in my thoughts and hoping they are all OK. :chill:
**I don't try to be Captain Weird, I just do what I do**
~Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars~ Casey Kasem

catharsis

Unread postby catharsis » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:26 pm

Those were lovely little pieces Tigress. I know I can't believe it's been a year either. I can still remember the shock I felt when I heard of his death. And I've read so many of his books in the intervening year. I guess time flies when you're discovering new things :cool:
"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." -e.e. cummings

"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." The Last Unicorn

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:35 pm

capnjacksgurl85 wrote:...you taught us how to live and laugh and decide for ourselves what we're here to do. Thanks.

capnjacksgurl85 --
This reminded me of something I read in The Proud Highway: Saga of a desperate southern gentleman....
Hunter wrote:
"Let's assume that you think you have a choice of eight paths to follow (all pre-defined paths, of course). And let's assume that you can't see any real purpose in any of the eight. THEN -- and here is the essence of all I've said -- you MUST FIND A NINTH PATH....But a man who procrastinates in his CHOOSING will inevitablly have his choice made for him by circumstance."

Here's hoping we all find -- and choose -- our NINTH PATH.

Miss you, Hunter.

bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:35 pm

Beautiful pieces of thought and art! I was listening to some of the songs from "Where Were You When the Fun Stopped" today while I was driving and remembering what a unique individual Hunter was. He was just one of a kind.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

deedee

Unread postby deedee » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:01 pm

Went to dinner with a few friends (one of the police officers was in attendence) and raising our heartfelt glasses to Hunter in a British Pub here in Richmond,we purposed a toast to the mighty Spirit that still lives on, we had the entire place standing on their feet banging their glasses,mugs,cups,plates, all in tribute to Hunter. We just sat there crying our eyes out. Young and Old alike, people from students to lawyers,doctors,teachers,bussiness persons, and the list goes on. These are the people the dear Doctor influenced, for good or bad. He commanded that kind of respect from a room full of strangers. I'm still shaking from the moment. All I could think about was how this moment in time would effect sweet Anita and Juan and Sandy. Knowing how so many cared for the likes of Hunter. The shear magnitude of his influence by writing his words. Boggles my mind.
Some people came over to our table and made reference to what they thought the dear Doctor's reactions would be on current affairs, how he would have betted on the Super Bowl, give Cheney hell in a hand basket for stupidity, roasted FEMA alive, would be on the NSA most monitored list, and on and on.
Hunter, if you were by some fluke,watching all this, I know you were whooping up a storm.

As a few of you know, I have been out of sorts this past year. Over the many months, alot of strange goings on in the world around us all and I couldn't help but think of quotes and sayings by HST. Not that he was my Dali Llama or anything like that, but the man made sense. He made you think and think again.Just when you have things sorted out and opinion formed, whamm/hello..but what if???? Hey Rube strikes again....
Then MLK Day came and I heard the famous "I Had a Dream" speech, as I did for years, and then it hit me like a speeding train...The Wave Speech... how appropriate,how definative in word and structure and meaning. Like a concert piece with full orchestra. The two playing out at the same time.Sort of a Simon and Garfunkle thing happenning here.... Gave me a whole new plane of thought on Fear and Loathing in LV. Re-read it again for the &^%(% time and it played out differently in my head, yet again. Best $$$ ever spent.
We here do miss Hunter S, those of us who have followed him in print for years and those who just started picking up those books and getting a whole new perspective on what he was trying to convey, context is key,application of the words is adinfinitum.
I know the man's spirit, like his ashes, are waffting gently on the breezes of the air around the world, taking that final ride in various forms until the end of time, when hopefully we will all meet face to face. Until then dear friends of the Zone, I want to share one last thing tonight. Ever since that beautiful video by the ladies of the Zone, I had a vision of one with Johnny and Hunter to the tune of Oh Very Young. Not having the equipment or know how to do it myself, I want you all to imagine those many pictures we have seen of the two of them, and I want you all to imagine further still that each of you are in those pictures as well,
are you there? OK here goes

Oh very young
what will you leave us this time?
You're only dancing on this earth for a short while
And though your dreams may toss and turn you now
They will vanish away like your daddy's best jeans
Denim blue fading up to the sky
And though you want them to last forever
You know they never will
And the patches make the goodbye harder still
Oh very young,what will you leave us this time
There'll never be a better chance to change your mind
And if you want this to see a better day
Will you carry the words of love with you
Will you ride the great white bird into heaven
And though you want to last forever
you know you never will
And the goodbye makes the journey harder still
oh very young, what will you leave us this time?

Mahalo my friends, Mahalo dear Hunter
"Those who do not like you fall into two catagories..the stupid and the envious."

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:10 pm

Evening all!

I was amazed that it has been a year & what a year of change it has been in my life. I have to admit that my JDOCD has changed alot. Not my love & admiration for Johnny but my obsession to know every little detail has faded alot. One thing that I was blessed with through finding Johnny was the words that Hunter S Thompson has written. I still have lots of his writting to read & Im sure by the time I die I will have read it all, as long as the good Lord lets me live a full life that is. He was a free spirit & an inspiration to spread your wings & go after what makes you tick. I, after 40 years feel that is exactly what I am doing. Johnny, Hunter all of the writters that have burned something into my soul have molded me into someone so different than the person I was 2 1/2 years ago when I first saw that pirate sailing in. I have changed my job, my boyfriend, my hair, my clothes, my body size and most important my attitude. All of that I THANK Hunter, Johnny, Tom Robbins, Greg Roberts, JM Barrie, William Saroyan and ALL OF YOU for enriching my life to what it is today! For this I take a bow to you all! :notworthy:

Live on Hunter S. Thompson in my soul, in your work. Your smile melts my heart!

SALUTE!

Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

SavvyTBird

Unread postby SavvyTBird » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:17 pm

Sorry I'm late. :banghead: Now I gotta start from the top to see whats been talked about.... Wouldn't want to repete.... LOL! :blush:

:cool:
Savvy TBird

?
X

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:22 pm

deedee, I was thinking about your policeman the other day when we were thinking about doing this thread! Was this a gathering to remember Hunter or just a spontaneous celebration at the restaurant? It sounds like you did him proud! That song is perfect, I had never thought of it in that way before. :cool:

V, that was a beautiful tribute. What a lot of wonderful things a year has brought for you! :hug:

SavvyTBird, just jump on in!
:-)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:29 pm

Welcome, SavvyTBird. Enjoy reading all the wonderful heartfelt posts. Dharma, Catharsis and V--those are beautiful artistic tributes.

When I think of Hunter I think I will always think of this picture and what it means to me. This is not a quote from Hunter, but it was one of his favorites:

The final lines of The Great Gatsby: “Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter — tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . . And then one fine morning— So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

deedee

Unread postby deedee » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:33 pm

The going out to dinner was planned last week by 6 of us, the 70 or so other people all joining in the toast was strickly their idea. We had no idea who these people were....
"Those who do not like you fall into two catagories..the stupid and the envious."

SavvyTBird

Unread postby SavvyTBird » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:37 pm

To think or not to think? :-? .... That was Hunters question.... Do we think? Is common since so far removed from us? No! If Hunter's legacy still lives on, there will be those to pick up the rains and keep it flowing.... :cool:

If not, we're in a lot of trouble.... :blush:

And then there will be the one's to show us examples of what he was talking about..... :banghead:

(And I might be falling in that catagory... "Ding.... Fries are done!" :eyebrow: )

That's what so neat about being a writer.... His works will live on... As long as there's someone who'll read it...
Savvy TBird

?

X

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:40 pm

I'm finally getting the chance to check in and am so touched reading all the heartfelt thoughts and feelings that you all have expressed. I can't believe a year has passed. I spent alot of time in the car today and listened to Hunter's favorite music....it brought to the surface all the feelings that were so strongly felt a year ago and also six months ago when his ashes were finally shot into the heavens. I'm glad we could share those times and today in remembrance. Thanks DITHOT and Liz for bringing us together again today to share our feelings.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”