Monday Night Thread (Early) - Remembering Hunter

Moderator: Liz

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:45 pm

I don't have much to say. I hope Johnny is allright and just want to post this pic , he's having so much fun reading those letters . Can't believe a year is past :chill:

Hunter is looking down at all of us ...

Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:21 pm

"Every once in a while, but not often, you can sit down and write a thing that you know is going to stand people's hair on end for the rest of their lives - a perfect memory of some kind, like a vision, and you can see the words rolling out of your fingers and bouncing around for a while like wild little jewels before they finally roll into place & line up just exactly where you wanted them to... Wow! Look at that s**t! Who wrote that stuff?
What? Me? Hot damn! Let us rumble, keep going, and don't slow down - whatever it is, keep doing it. Let's have a little Fun.
Even writing feels like fun when you catch a moment like this. You feel Pure and natural - Yes sir, I am a natural man tonight."

Thinking of you tonight, and of those who are missing you so much.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:09 pm

Thanks, Liz for getting us going this afternoon! I've been out all day and away from the computer but I have been thinking about Hunter and remembering how much he is missed. I have collected several more of his books that are waiting for me to read them and I am always on the look out for ones I don't have when I visit my used book store. Over the past year I have noticed that they are harder to find which makes me feel like even more people are reading him now. :cool: Thanks for coming by and sharing your thoughts...

marijke, I believe that Steadman picture is the one that was signed by people attending his send off ceremony and then prints were sold.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

part-time poet

Unread postby part-time poet » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:16 pm

suec wrote:"Every once in a while, but not often, you can sit down and write a thing that you know is going to stand people's hair on end for the rest of their lives - a perfect memory of some kind, like a vision, and you can see the words rolling out of your fingers and bouncing around for a while like wild little jewels before they finally roll into place & line up just exactly where you wanted them to... Wow! Look at that s**t! Who wrote that stuff?
What? Me? Hot damn! Let us rumble, keep going, and don't slow down - whatever it is, keep doing it. Let's have a little Fun.
Even writing feels like fun when you catch a moment like this. You feel Pure and natural - Yes sir, I am a natural man tonight."

Thinking of you tonight, and of those who are missing you so much.

That's beautiful, suec. Thanks for bringing that passage back to mind. It made me smile through my tears--kind of the way I've felt the past year whenever I thought of Hunter.

I have been surprised that there are so many tears. It's not as if I knew him, except through his books . . . and I still have his books beside me; they aren't gone and never will be.

And yet if I spend two minutes thinking about Hunter, I'll find myself in tears. I don't know what he'd think about that. He might think it was a waste of a good moment, and I should go find something to laugh about, or someone to rile up. But I hope, wherever his spirit is, that he feels the deep affection that keeps his passing such a present wound for so many of us who knew him only through his words.

You've got to be a mighty powerful writer to make so many love you through your words alone. To write that way is a kind of immortality--the creation of art may be the only immortality humans possess (although I'm mystical enough to want also to believe in the soul).

Hunter had both in huge measure--art and soul. Heart and soul.

May we keep on walking in his (very large) footsteps.

:writer2: :smiliewithhearts:

Part-Time Poet
Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.
-- J. M. Barrie

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:21 pm

part-time poet wrote: And yet if I spend two minutes thinking about Hunter, I'll find myself in tears. I don't know what he'd think about that. He might think it was a waste of a good moment, and I should go find something to laugh about, or someone to rile up. But I hope, wherever his spirit is, that he feels the deep affection that keeps his passing such a present wound for so many of us who knew him only through his words.

You've got to be a mighty powerful writer to make so many love you through your words alone. To write that way is a kind of immortality--the creation of art may be the only immortality humans possess (although I'm mystical enough to want also to believe in the soul).

Very well said, ptp. To be able to touch so many so deeply just through the written word is a gift he had in abundance. I can't imagine what it must have been like to know him as a person.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:29 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
part-time poet wrote: And yet if I spend two minutes thinking about Hunter, I'll find myself in tears. I don't know what he'd think about that. He might think it was a waste of a good moment, and I should go find something to laugh about, or someone to rile up. But I hope, wherever his spirit is, that he feels the deep affection that keeps his passing such a present wound for so many of us who knew him only through his words.

Very well said, ptp. To be able to touch so many so deeply just through the written word is a gift he had in abundance. I can't imagine what it must have been like to know him as a person.

ptp and DITHOT ~~
I've had the same thing happen this past year. I think about Hunter and the tears fall. Even when I read something he's written and it makes me laugh out loud, the tears aren't far behind.
DITHOT you wrote: I can't imagine what it must have been like to know him...."
I think that's why the tears fall. Any chance (not that I ever had much of one), but any chance to ever meet him in person will never happen. That makes me cry. I am thankful to have his words but ... I really liked knowing that Hunter was out there somewhere, being himself, and raising hell!

bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:30 pm

part-time poet wrote: I have been surprised that there are so many tears. It's not as if I knew him, except through his books . . .

I've been wondering the same thing today--why do I get so emotional over him--a whole year after his passing? I'm thinking it must be the heart and soul that he has put into his writing and what he stood for. But I also think it has to do with the love and admiration of his friends for him and his love of them. To inspire such loyalty says something about a person.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:42 pm

Liz wrote:
part-time poet wrote: I have been surprised that there are so many tears. It's not as if I knew him, except through his books . . .

I've been wondering the same thing today--why do I get so emotional over him--a whole year after his passing? I'm thinking it must be the heart and soul that he has put into his writing and what he stood for. But I also think it has to do with the love and admiration of his friends for him and his love of them. To inspire such loyalty says something about a person.

I agree. He inspired such intense emotion that I think knowing and then feeling the absence of that force is just as intense. For me I don't want to think that he gave up and felt he was no longer an important voice in our culture, because he was and is.

Wow! What a ride!

capnjacksgurl85

Unread postby capnjacksgurl85 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:49 pm

I'm reading through the special edition of Roling Stone that was printed last year. I'm wondering what Hunter would've thought of all this stuff people have written about him. Johnny's thoughts made me get all misty...

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." These are the words that echo in my skull. The words that our Good Doctor lived by, and by God, died by. He dictated, created, commanded, demanded, manipulated, manhandled and snatched life up by the short hairs and only relinquished his powerful grasp when he was ready. There's the rub. When he was ready. That is what we are left with. We are here, without him. But in no way are we left with nothing, far from it. We have his words, his books, his insights, his humore, and his truth. - JD

The bottom line is - we miss you HST! But you taught us how to live and laugh and decide for ourselves what we're here to do. Thanks.
Now...bring me that horizon.

...the misfit made good...

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:56 pm

Hey everyone. Thanks Liz and DITHOT for hosting this little get together. What better place to talk about such a unique writer and friend/mentor to Johnny. I echo everyone's sentiments and say kudos to those that have commented already...well said! I agree, this year flew like it had wings. So much has happened in that year too.

I've been thinking about HST today and not sure what I wanted to say here. I know Hunter is not to everyone's liking, nor is F & L in LV everyone's fave Johnny movie. But no matter how you feel about the man, you have to admit we are more enlightened beings for having had him amongst us. I pulled out the RS tribute edition and re-read some of the articles, Johnny's in particular. Here is a snippet.....

"We are here without him. But in no way are we left with nothing, far from it. We have his words, his books, his insights, his humor and his truth. For those of us lucky enough to have been close to him, which often meant rather lengthy and dangerous occasions that would invariably lead to uncontrollable fits of laughter, we have the memory of his Cheshire grin leading us where ever he felt we needed to go. Which, by the way, was always the right direction, however insane it may have seemed. Yes, the doctor always knew best. I have, seared onto my brain, the millions of hideous little adventures that I was blessed enough to have lived through with him and, frankly, in certain instances, blessed to have lived through. He was/is a brother, a friend, a hero, a father, a son, a teacher, a partner in crime. Our crime: fun. Always, fun." ~ Johnny Depp (RS, March 24, 2005).

My thoughts go out to his family and friends who mourn his passing. I miss him and his keen observations of the world. (Actually, I would have liked to have heard what he would have said about VP Cheney's quail hunting debacle.) Thanks Hunter....

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:57 pm

capnjacksgurl85 wrote:I'm reading through the special edition of Roling Stone that was printed last year. I'm wondering what Hunter would've thought of all this stuff people have written about him. Johnny's thoughts made me get all misty...

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." These are the words that echo in my skull. The words that our Good Doctor lived by, and by God, died by. He dictated, created, commanded, demanded, manipulated, manhandled and snatched life up by the short hairs and only relinquished his powerful grasp when he was ready. There's the rub. When he was ready. That is what we are left with. We are here, without him. But in no way are we left with nothing, far from it. We have his words, his books, his insights, his humore, and his truth. - JD

The bottom line is - we miss you HST! But you taught us how to live and laugh and decide for ourselves what we're here to do. Thanks.

Hey CJG85, we had the same thought!! I picked up the quote where you left off....great minds! I agree, we do miss him.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

capnjacksgurl85

Unread postby capnjacksgurl85 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:00 pm

KYwoman wrote:Hey CJG85, we had the same thought!! I picked up the quote where you left off....great minds! I agree, we do miss him.

Yeah, I just thought Johnny's words fit so well with what we're all thinking right now...lol - just wasn't sure if I should post the whole thing! :-) Good man.
Now...bring me that horizon.

...the misfit made good...

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:04 pm

Whenever I think of Hunter, I think of the article he wrote for espn.com on his new version of golf. In the article he stated that the rules required each golfer to have a rifle - I think it was - and each golfer was required to try to shoot his "opponents" golf ball out of the air after the shot. I believe he actually tried this on a golf course and was tossed out.

I also remember Johnny telling the tale of how Hunter had him tape nitro onto a gas cylinder and then shoot it with a shotgun.

Then there was the picture of Hunter shooting his typewriter.

This man was an "original" and a total screwball. :cloud9: Which is why I was attracted to him. He marched to the beat of his own personal drummer.

I miss him for that. :-/

CarrieKY

Unread postby CarrieKY » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:07 pm

Hello all,

Thanks to Liz and DITHOT for having this little shindig for Hunter. I miss him. I miss what he represented. I miss being considered viable in our world. How did I get to be 55 years old?

Hunter represented my youth - the ever changing world of the 60's. A time when our whole world was changed by a series of gunshots - Kennedy, King, Kennedy....a tumultuous time to be sure. Hunter saw the world with my eyes and thoughts; nailed them every time. He was uncanny that way. How did he know exactly what we were all thinking? He made me laugh. He made me cry. There will never be another who could hold a candle to him.

We miss you Hunter,

Carrie

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:08 pm

Very well said, everyone -- I can only echo and nod in agreement to all the things ya'll have stated so perfectly.

I've been sort of baffled by how emotional I get when I think about Hunter, too, these past few months. It occurred to me, that I've never had any one person that was very close to me who died, no one's loss that I've cried about -- except Hunter's. I thought this was strange, or telling, but especially strange as I've never met the guy. But PTP, Liz - you've got a great point, and I think that's the reason why I feel so emotional when I think about this loss and the life he lead. After his death, I just couldn't imagine how the people who were so close to him and lived with him in everyday life could function without him there. I mean, he has such a presence that is seemingly irreplaceable, but it's comforting to know, that most certainly, his life and soul lives on through his words and art. :cool:

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”