MONDAY NIGHT THREAD - Upcoming Projects

Moderator: Liz

sleepy
JDZ Founder

Unread postby sleepy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:28 pm

"A Warner rep says “Depp is offered everything these days - why wouldn’t he be offered Batman?”. I don’t know whether that’s a confirmation or debunking….you decide."

The above quote was from an entertainment web site, commenting on the rumor of Johnny's role in the upcoming Batman film. In going through recent wire articles concerning news on Johnny, there are 4 or 5 projects that he is supposedly going to do...not counting the projects on the back burner.
Funny ol' world, innit?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:32 pm

sleepy wrote:"A Warner rep says “Depp is offered everything these days - why wouldn’t he be offered Batman?”. I don’t know whether that’s a confirmation or debunking….you decide."

The above quote was from an entertainment web site, commenting on the rumor of Johnny's role in the upcoming Batman film. In going through recent wire articles concerning news on Johnny, there are 4 or 5 projects that he is supposedly going to do...not counting the projects on the back burner.

I'd forgotten about he Batman rumor, sleepy. I'm sure he gets offers everyday and it wouldn't hurt the publicity for a film to let that offer slip out would it? If the man took everything he was rumored to be doing plus keeping up with his company and the films he has said he is doing, the man would have to work 24/7!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:49 pm

Shantaram ,for certain. I certainly don't have a problem seeing him as Lin, in a way almost too easy in that there we have a guy with a difficult past, a person who has been through a lot, but despite his problems is clearly sensitive, caring. The thing that worroes me about the film is what it may put him through. I don't like the idea of the scenes in prison, particularly the need to lose all the weight. I imagine he'll do the same as he's done for so many films, go to be physically right, but as I say, I don't want him to have to get Edward Scissorhands thin again.

Other one? Rum Diary, but I think he may now be too old to play Kemp.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:53 pm

Endora, not only would he have to lose weight for the prison scenes, he would have to buff up ( :giddy: ) for the rest of the book. Wonder if he will go with long, blonde hair? I am looking foward to the Aussie accent!

I wonder about TRD and Kemp myself. Although I suppose they could make Kemp just about any age under 40 and Johnny can certainly still pull that off with no sweat!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:58 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Endora, not only would he have to lose weight for the prison scenes, he would have to buff up ( :giddy: ) for the rest of the book. Wonder if he will go with long, blonde hair? I am looking foward to the Aussie accent!

I wonder about TRD and Kemp myself. Although I suppose they could make Kemp just about any age under 40 and Johnny can certainly still pull that off with no sweat!

It will certainly be interesting to hear the accent....and the lack of clothes, well great, obviously, but not if he's had to slim down to skeletal, too distressing.
Are we absolutely sure that he will play Lin, or is it just rumour?
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:54 pm

Sorry, Endora, I was being obtuse. :blush: I meant I was looking forward to the buffing up part after he gets out of prison. That could be a tough physical transformation. It is my understanding that he will play Lin. Here is an article written by Roberts from our Shantaram tidbits.

From the Shantaram website. Roberts describes meeting Johnny for the first time…

After making the successful bid for the movie rights to Shantaram, Johnny Depp invited me to visit him in London. Took me a nanosecond, yaar, to pack a grip and pick up the First Class ticket he left for me at the British Airways desk in Melbourne. A limo picked me up at Heathrow and dropped me at a superb boutique hotel, The Baglioni, near Kensington High Street (Oh yes, Mr. Depp is very definitely a Class Act).

When I met the man himself, he was kitted out for the Willie Wonka role in Tim Burton's refacimento of Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate factory. He looked surreal: a crimson Valiant vision of velvet-elegance with a hint of mischief's menace in the electronic smile (you'll see what I mean, when the movie releases in 005). Then he shook my hand - warm, strong, painter-musician grip - and took 90 seconds to set me free in the mansion of his heart.

What can I tell you? All of Johnny's fans ( a considerable number of them have contacted me in recent weeks) will be delighted but not surprised to hear that he's just about the nicest guy on the goddamn planet. He's generous, considerate, modest, brave, intelligent, good-hearted, creative, funny, gentle, wise, loving, loyal, hard-working, and almost unbearably cool.

Watching him work, on the set of Tim Burton's C and the CF, was an education in itself. The total professional, Johnny puts passion and intensity into every take, and is always in the moment. No less important, it seemed to me, was the way that he brought so much affectionate communication to every other actor in each scene, and extended that warmth to every member of the crew. It was a happy, positive set, and I put that down to Johnny's art, and his good heart, and to the sensitive brilliance of his friend, the wonderful Tim Burton._________________

And they will be working together again soon… thanks to Emma for posting this on Feb. 9.

Herald Sun
Thursday, February 10

It's cool bahamas
By Claire Sutherland and Nui Te Koha

Melbourne author Greg Roberts is off to the Bahamas in June to be a house guest of Johnny Depp.

Depp is to play the lead role of Lin in the movie version of Roberts' 940-page memoir, Shantaram.

The author will spend six weeks at Chateau Depp putting the finishing touches on the first draft of the screenplay while Depp works on Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3.

Depp and an alliance of United States production companies won an auction for the rights to Roberts' best-seller for a reported $2.5 million.

Roberts, speaking from New Zealand, where he is on a speaking tour, says Depp impressed him with his integrity, insistence that Roberts write the screenplay and, of course, the highest bid.

Roberts spent three weeks with Depp in London after the auction.

"He is an almost unbearably cool human being," Roberts says. "Apart from my dad and my brother, he's the nicest guy I've ever met. What you see is what you get."

Roberts, who changed his name from Smith, was serving a 23-year sentence for armed robbery at Pentridge Prison when he escaped in 1980. He fled to India and ended up working as a forger for the Bombay mafia, all the while running a makeshift slum medical clinic. He also had a stint as a gunrunner in Afghanistan, an actor in Bollywood and eventually worked in a high security jail in Germany.

He was extradited to Australia and served out his sentence.

The film version of his book starts with his arrival in India.

Interiors will be shot in Los Angeles and Morocco is likely to double for Afghanistan. Depp and Roberts are pushing for Indian scenes to be shot in India, but Roberts says he doesn't care if Depp plays the character as an Australian.

"He wants to," Roberts says. "I've told him that's not important to me. It doesn't matter if the character is Australian or Chinese.

I wrote what I believe to be a universal character."

Cutting the book down to a two-hour screenplay has been a challenge, particularly with Depp's insistence that so much of the story remain intact.

"When you're writing a book it's a question of what you put in," Roberts says. "When you're writing a screenplay it's a question of what you leave out. I was more savage with that than Johnny was. He was saying, 'No, no, no, you can't leave that out, I love that part', so we had quite spirited discussions about it."

Wow! What a ride!

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:07 pm

Good re Lin. I think I am looking forward to this more than POTC2, although that will be great, I love to see a new character.

Solace in the flood

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:19 pm

Endora wrote:Good re Lin. I think I am looking forward to this more than POTC2, although that will be great, I love to see a new character.

I think Shantaram is his next chance at an Oscar.

As far as the hair, I think Lin's hair was described as very short during his time in India and Afghanistan. So I'm thinking something like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Liz-ONBC/Beats/TheSource4.jpg

DITHOT wrote:I'd forgotten about he Batman rumor, sleepy. I'm sure he gets offers everyday and it wouldn't hurt the publicity for a film to let that offer slip out would it? If the man took everything he was rumored to be doing plus keeping up with his company and the films he has said he is doing, the man would have to work 24/7!

24/7 wouldn't be nearly enough.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:25 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:he would have to buff up ( :giddy: ) for the rest of the book. Wonder if he will go with long, blonde hair? I am looking foward to the Aussie accent!

:giddy: is right.
:drool: Buff Johnny=my brain turns to jello.:drool:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I wonder about TRD and Kemp myself. Although I suppose they could make Kemp just about any age under 40 and Johnny can certainly still pull that off with no sweat!
Didn't you think he looked young at the Golden Globes?

Oh, and to answer the original question, I'm with the majority of people here, who'd like to see him do Shantaram.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:25 pm

Endora wrote:Good re Lin. I think I am looking forward to this more than POTC2, although that will be great, I love to see a new character.

I'm looking forward to both equally, I think. Even though we know good ol' Jack, I'm looking forward to seeing him and his escapades again on the big screen. Lin, on the other hand, will be a completely new character but there is so much to bring to the movie from the book! I can't wait to see how they will boil it down to a couple of hours. I'm sure it will be brilliant though!

Liz, you're right. 24/7 won't cut it!

Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:33 pm

I would like to see him do Shantaram next. I have mixed feelings about TRD. There are bits that I definitely don't want to see, thank you very much. I would love for him to be in Inamorata - I won't say which part yet. I haven't read The Ginger Man yet, but love the idea of him filming in Ireland. As for more POTC after #3, no thanks. Much as I love :capnjack: I am eager for new characters.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:10 pm

Peter Weir can be very graphic but doesn't linger on that sort of thing. I also don't want to see too much of the prison scenes I found it rather disgusting anyway sometimes it was too graphic. I think it would be difficult for Johnny to look so thin as it takes time to go from one way to another and can be dangerous.Maybe they will make those scenes not so long to cover that.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:48 pm

sleepy wrote:"A Warner rep says “Depp is offered everything these days - why wouldn’t he be offered Batman?”. I don’t know whether that’s a confirmation or debunking….you decide."

Is Weinstein paying attention to any of this???????? He has a movie just sitting there waiting for release and everyone else is still trying to get Johnny in a film.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:04 pm

Much as I love Shantaram I am a little nervous about the movie. I have near-reverance for the book and I am concerned that the movie can't possibly live up to it, not because of Johnny in any way, but because bringing a book with that scope and that many layers to the screen and cramming it into an acceptable amount of time..... I just am not sure it can be done.

I would like to see the Rum Diary and Inamorata -- and I especially would love to see the Diving Bell and the Butterfly with Johnny in the lead role..... I can't even imagine what he could do with that role.

And bring on a repeat of Sheldon Jeffrey Sands!! maybe that would be best of all.

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:32 pm

Nebraska wrote:
And bring on a repeat of Sheldon Jeffrey Sands!! maybe that would be best of all.

It only took 9 days of filming to create Sands....can you imagine what an entire movie of him would be like???? :bounce: :bounce:

I agree. Bring on Sands!!!

bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”