Monday Night Thread ~ Welcome to 2006!

Moderator: Liz

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:29 am

nebraska - I am so sorry to hear about the losses in your family. I hope the parents are doing ok.

It's interesting to read everyone's goals for the next year. I, too, have given up on resolutions. My goals for this year are:

1. Get rid of half of the stuff in my house. It's getting cluttered beyond belief, and we just don't need all that stuff. My books alone would fill a small house!

2. Pay off all debt (other than my car loan - I'll give that another year), and hopefully save enough for a trip to the Netherlands next spring (are you listening, ibbi?)

3. Start studying my French more consistently.

4. Spend a little more time on the cross-trainer.

5. The Libertine and POTC II.

6. POTC II Premiere in LA??- gosh, I would love to make it there!

I like the surpise yourself idea, too, Bix - that's a nice thought with which to begin the New Year!

And theresa - I agree with you about the bracelet. It has really been an inspiration to me since I out it on. It makes me more conscious to treat each day as a gift - and taking that viewpoint is really beneficial.
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:33 am

Aww, my thoughts and prayers with your family, Nebraska - Things will get better, best of luck and wishes to your son and his family. :heart:

I love the idea of making sure surprises happen this year. I'm up for it! Hearing all this talk of treadmills and what not is reminding me that that's a big 'goal' of mine this year. :blush: :cool: We're snowed in today, but tomorrow seems like the perfect time to start that regimine - I'm glad that it seems we'll all be working on the same goal together :lol:

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:40 am

Nebraska...how dreadful.....best wishes.

Resolutions?

1. Waste less time. Ah, if only...

2. Read and write more. There's never enough time.

3. Get rid of, and reduce the need for, material things.

4. Be more positive. This last one is the hardest. I seem to try it every year, but it never really works.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:11 pm

nebraska, how awful! It sure is a terrible start and I hope that things get a lot better for you and your family.

I never used to bother with resolutions till I hit 40 and my mid-life crisis. Then I made a bucketful - and kept every one. Mainly because I had one big one that I broke down into small bits. So "lose weight" was followed by a long list of go to the gym, eat breakfast, stop the chocolate, no carbs at night etc. I kept them all, right up until the last day of the year, lost all the weight - then put it back on again.
I loved 2005 and was sorry to see it go. I am happy that my life has changed for the better and that I seem to be changing too. I had a lot of darkness in me. The demons still bite me in the neck from time to time, but much less often and I have remembered how to have fun.
This year, I haven't made formal resolutions as such. My plan is to really sort my house out. It is much better than it was, but I think that the physical environment is much more important than I gave it credit for. I think it externalises what is within - or it did with me. So, it is getting a make-over. I also would like to be doing a different job by the end of the year. I have told my boss this already, so I have kind of nailed my colours to the mast there.
I am looking forward to seeing Johnny get an award or two, to seeing :capnjack: again and TL DVD! :bounce:
I don't know what else, particuarly. Except I love the idea of surprising myself and a bit of spontaneity and openness don't half work wonders. Bit hard to set specific targets there, but opportunity will come knocking.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:21 pm

Nebraska, I'm so sorry for your family's loss. :-/
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:53 pm

lumineuse wrote:nebraska - I am so sorry to hear about the losses in your family. I hope the parents are doing ok.

It's interesting to read everyone's goals for the next year. I, too, have given up on resolutions. My goals for this year are:

1. Get rid of half of the stuff in my house. It's getting cluttered beyond belief, and we just don't need all that stuff. My books alone would fill a small house!

2. Pay off all debt (other than my car loan - I'll give that another year), and hopefully save enough for a trip to the Netherlands next spring (are you listening, ibbi?)

3. Start studying my French more consistently.

4. Spend a little more time on the cross-trainer.

5. The Libertine and POTC II.

6. POTC II Premiere in LA??- gosh, I would love to make it there!

I like the surpise yourself idea, too, Bix - that's a nice thought with which to begin the New Year!

And theresa - I agree with you about the bracelet. It has really been an inspiration to me since I out it on. It makes me more conscious to treat each day as a gift - and taking that viewpoint is really beneficial.

:bounce: I hear you ~

My goals are ; paying of my creditcard .
As my house gets a bit to full I will look more carefull of what I will collect and buy on Johnny-things.
I'd love to lose weight as some of you - but I don't know how :eyebrow:

I look very much forward to seeing the Libertine. Only two months till the dvd comes out !
And to the fall , when truelymadlydepply is coming to visit me !
I hope to see the Dutch Zoners and Charly also again this year :heart2:
I look very much forward to finally get kittens from Tommy kitten and Flokje. Our other female cat was pregnant 2 times but lost it both times two years ago. So last year we bought Flokje and Tommy and we hope everything will go allright.
I hope to get a bigger house this year , we need it - and when the house is big enough I want to start breeding Ragdolls. That's my dream for the future ~

---------

Nebraska , I am so sorry to hear about the losses in your family , I will pray for them :chill:

---------

I wish everyone a real good year and hope all your dreams and goals will come true !
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:02 pm

Nebraska, I am so sorry about the babies. I hope your son and his family will be able to heal quickly and move on, but it is a tragic thing to begin the year with.

Please be sure to let us Texas Zoners know if you can make it down here this spring! We would love to meet you, too! :grouphug: It has been so very dry here this winter that I am not sure our fabled Central Texas wildflowers will be at their best this year, but I can guarantee you we won't have any snow.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:02 pm

Betty Sue wrote:
kristen wrote:... no matter how the coming year goes, I know one thing's for sure - it's always going to be a little better because of Johnny and my fellow fans ;-)

Amen! :cloud9:

I second that :cool: last year has surtainly been great because of Johnny and his fans , I've been really blessed with the friends I have found online and share a lot of fun , support and happiness !

San

Unread postby San » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:31 pm

I am a bit late but A happy new year for everybody.
Resolutions. I don't make them, just as many of you.
I do have some wishes for 2006. I wish that 2006 will be just as positive as 2005 was for me. I wish to lost a little more weight (The most is off already) I hope to find a new job quick (I'll be unemployed from april 1 2006)
I read the book discussion here on ONBC most of the time. Ok, one resolution for 2006, start reading English again.

~Great Theresa 25 years with the same company, my record is 5 years in a job.

~Nebraska so sorry to hear of the twins. I send a lot of positive thoughts and energy to your family. Poor parents it will leave a hole in their souls forever.

~and for everybody I wish that 2006 brings you what you hope.

groetjes van San

PS and I wish ofcourse to see a lot of Johnny

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:06 pm

nebraska, I too am sorry to hear about the babies. Never an easy thing to go through. I do hope that planned Texas trip comes to pass! :bounce: :hope:

ibbi, I am going to assume Ragdolls is the breed of your cats? :perplexed:

suec, what fun to plan on redoing your house. I love projects like that...mostly when they are finished! :banghead:

San, :welcome: to ONBC! I am glad do know you keep up with our discussions and I hope you will be able to participate one day! To be able to read a book in another language is a great thing and then to have the ability to discuss it would be fantastic! I'm very impressed! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:27 pm

DITHOT , Tommy kitten is half breed Ragdoll. If we get more space we want to buy a full breed also. It's an Americain breed ! They act like a ragdoll when you pick them up , they are totally relexed and just hang in your arms without moving for minutes , they love it .

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:29 pm

ibbi 3 wrote:DITHOT , Tommy kitten is half breed Ragdoll. If we get more space we want to buy a full breed also. It's an Americain breed ! They act like a ragdoll when you pick them up , they are totally relexed and just hang in your arms without moving for minutes , they love it .

Thanks, ibbi! I know the breed you are talking about now, I just didn't know them by name. They are adorable kitties! Good luck with yours!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

H2H

Unread postby H2H » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:03 pm

nebraska wrote:I have been strangely excited about the new year, I think this will be a year of change and achievement for me. I like the idea of "surprising myself"! I did start some more disciplined behaviors regarding my home and my weight on January 1, I don't know if they were resolutions exactly, it just seemed like an appropriate day to start. I have come to realize that I am a work in progress and beginnings and endings aren't very practical in real life.

Our family started 2006 with a tragedy, my son's stepdaughter delivered premature twins on January 1; one was still born and the second one lived just slightly over 24 hours. Things have to get better!

Like everyone else, am looking forward to the Libertine and POTC2. I am hoping to make a trip to Texas this spring and maybe meet up with some fellow Zoners.

I just wanted to say that I am very sorry for your loss.
Ladies....an announcement....I am up for it all the time.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:23 pm

[quote="lumineuse"]

For all of you who wish to downsize the clutter in your homes, may I suggest going to FLYlady.net -- FLYlady has been a miracle in my life and I highly recommend her site!

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:12 pm

Happy New Year to all of you!

I am one of those who still persist in making New Year's resolutions. Just the standard ones though, lose the weight I gained over the holidays and then start back up with my exercising. I too have a treadmill that stares at me daily. But I don't have a hard time climbing onto it when I can put a Johnny dvd on the little tv that it sits in front of. Sure is good incentive to get in a little exercise! :disco:

I too would like to de-clutter my house. We've lived here 19 years and it seems like sometimes we have never thrown anything away in all that time. I do live with some pack-rats, so it makes life challenging sometimes. I'll check out FLYlady.net nebraska - thanks!

I had some wonderful Johnny-related adventures this year and hope to have more in 2006, hopefully with the great friends that I've met. :cool:
And I'm looking forward to more wonderful books to discuss here at ONBC in the coming year!

nebraska - I'm so sorry about your family's loss.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”