Monday Night Thread ~ Welcome to 2006!

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:13 pm

Bix wrote:Oops, DITHOT, I forgot (for just a second) about the Longhorns - so I have to say HOOK 'EM, HORNS! also. This will be a huge new year's present for us Austinites. And I'm glad I didn't pay a huge amount of money to be standing in the rain in Pasedena today - although I wish I could figure out a way to get half of that water over here where we need it so badly!

A little rain our way would be most welcome, wouldn't it? :banghead:

P.S. Thanks to theresa for my Bevo!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:20 pm

theresa wrote:I plan on having a great year. I'm going to be celebrating my 25th anniversary at the company I work for – and in this day and age, that doesn't happen all that often. After 19 years of payments, I'm going to have a completely paid-off house this summer. I have lots of projects to look forward to, lots of books to read and discuss here with everyone, and lots of new things to learn. I also have friends -- old and new -- to laugh and cry and giggle with.

So I guess I do have one New Year's resolution – to not let myself get old. I'll keep my brain active with all the projects, books, and learning, and I'll keep my youthful enthusiasm of all things Depp.

As the bracelet that now resides on my arm says: “Today is a gift. . .have fun” That's my goal for every day of 2006.

Theresa, those are outstanding accomplishments to be celebrating. How many of us can say that we own our houses? Wow! And 25 years is also a great milestone. I'm sure your employers appreciate you very much.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:43 pm

Love reading of all of your wonderful goals and anticipation of surprises and wish you all success!! Surprises have always worked for me as I've never been much of a planner when it came to my life. But I'm going to quickly tell my two resolutions before they get broken! I plan to spend 30 minutes on the piano (I play like a complete beginner) and 30 minutes on the treadmill (on non-tennis days). So far I've kept these resolutions---well, except for playing the piano today... But I'm on my way!! :music:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:49 pm

Betty Sue wrote:Love reading of all of your wonderful goals and anticipation of surprises and wish you all success!! Surprises have always worked for me as I've never been much of a planner when it came to my life. But I'm going to quickly tell my two resolutions before they get broken! I plan to spend 30 minutes on the piano (I play like a complete beginner) and 30 minutes on the treadmill (on non-tennis days). So far I've kept these resolutions---well, except for playing the piano today... But I'm on my way!! :music:

Fine goals, to be sure. Good for you, that you've still kept them. My other goal is to try to put into effect the quotes posted on our Happy New Year thread. Vague goals work better for me. :blush:

I forgot to mention my anticipations for 2006. I'm looking forward to: seeing The Libertine again, the awards season, the POTC2 premiere, more book club discussions, and to unanticipated adventures.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:00 pm

BettySue, we should keep each other going! I have been off work for the past two weeks but head back tomorrow. I did get to play tennis 5 times while I was off and it was great! Once I go back to work it will only be one day a week. I also have a treadmill that sits in the corner of my study and eyes me pleadingly. Time to give in! I have always wanted to learn how to play the piano... :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:34 pm

DITHOT wrote: I also have a treadmill that sits in the corner of my study and eyes me pleadingly.

DITHOT: Your treadmill is much more kind than mine is. Mine eyes me with disdain!!!

This year I resolve not to resolve. A win-win situation.

2006 holds out many opportunites for fun here at the Zone ~~ The Libertine and POTC2, ONBC, and much more. I also look forward to special times with friends and family, and some of Liz's "unanticipated adventures."

bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:47 pm

DITHOT wrote:BettySue, we should keep each other going! I have been off work for the past two weeks but head back tomorrow. I did get to play tennis 5 times while I was off and it was great! Once I go back to work it will only be one day a week. I also have a treadmill that sits in the corner of my study and eyes me pleadingly. Time to give in! I have always wanted to learn how to play the piano...

I'm up for it (oops! that sounds vaguely familiar) and could use your inspiration! My treadmill is hidden away downstairs and oh! so easy to forget! Let's go for it! :yahoo:

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:53 pm

:biglaugh: BettySue, you're wicked. :capnjack:

I love reading about everyone's hopes for the year - thank you all so much for the well wishes, no matter how the coming year goes, I know one thing's for sure - it's always going to be a little better because of Johnny and my fellow fans ;-)

CarrieKY

Unread postby CarrieKY » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:57 pm

As another lady of a certain age, I stopped making resolutions years ago. I do like the term goal, although.

2005 was also a life-changing year for me...I quit smoking after 30 years! One of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, but well worth it. :yahoo:

My goals for this year include living a healthier lifestyle; reading the books that lie unread on their shelves; spending more time with my family, and getting to know each of you a little better. One huge goal is to find a way to see Johnny in person! Who knows...maybe it will happen. :hope:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:08 am

bluebird, I prefer to interpret the looks from my treadmill in a kinder manner. But then I may be slightly deceiving myself... ;-)

CarrieKY WAY TO GO!!! I completely appreciate your sentiments about quiting smoking. It was absolutely the hardest and the best thing I have ever done! :grouphug:

BettySue, drag that treadmill out of the closet. Tomorrow, thirty minutes! I'm game if you are.
:stretcher:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:19 am

Sorry, people. I cannot look kindly at any treadmill. They freak me out. I get the fear--of falling off. :freaked:

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:27 am

kristen wrote:... no matter how the coming year goes, I know one thing's for sure - it's always going to be a little better because of Johnny and my fellow fans ;-)

Amen! :cloud9:

jolivent

Unread postby jolivent » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:09 am

Happy 2006 everyone! Being fairly new to the Zone, I am just finding my way around all its nooks and crannies. I love that people of all ages and from all over gather here. It seems that those of us more experienced in life are taking the "no resolutions" approach. I really like the idea Bix presented of "surprise yourself." So I hope this year holds some great surprises for each of you. And of course we have some great films to look forward to.

The first thing I need to accomplish this year is to move into my new place. 15 years in one house! Too much stuff! Way too much stuff! :fear:
Cheers!
Bring me that horizon!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:44 am

Hi jolivent and Happy New Year! Glad you found us! :welcome: I hope you will stop by for a book discussion! :noodlemantra: Good luck with that cleaning. We moved once after 17 years in one house. :-O Not pretty!

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:16 am

I have been strangely excited about the new year, I think this will be a year of change and achievement for me. I like the idea of "surprising myself"! I did start some more disciplined behaviors regarding my home and my weight on January 1, I don't know if they were resolutions exactly, it just seemed like an appropriate day to start. I have come to realize that I am a work in progress and beginnings and endings aren't very practical in real life.

Our family started 2006 with a tragedy, my son's stepdaughter delivered premature twins on January 1; one was still born and the second one lived just slightly over 24 hours. Things have to get better!

Like everyone else, am looking forward to the Libertine and POTC2. I am hoping to make a trip to Texas this spring and maybe meet up with some fellow Zoners.

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”