Monday Night Thread ~ Welcome to 2006!

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Monday Night Thread ~ Welcome to 2006!

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:46 pm

Welcome to the first Monday Night Thread of 2006! :bounce:

I hope you all enjoyed decking your halls, jingling your bells, cheering in the New Year or any and all celebrations you participated in the past few weeks! :yahoo:

I have to say that 2005 was a high water mark for me in many ways so I can coast through Ought6 and be a pretty happy girl. :snoopydances:

Let’s look ahead to the New Year tonight. :-O

Have you made and or already broken any resolutions? :banghead:
What are you most looking forward to in 2006? :giddy:

What say you Noodlemantras? :zoner:

(Personally, I am looking forward to the University of Texas winning the national championship Thursday night…) Hook ‘em Horns!

Imagehttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/DITHOT/Smilies/smileysparkle.gif[/img]
Last edited by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas on Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:52 pm

2006? I'm graduating! High school, that is - so this year is gonna be a BIG one for me. I'll be moving down to central Florida to stay with some family members while I go to school, so that's gonna be a pretty big step. :omg:

The Libertine! On Friday the 13th (my lucky day and number) I'll hopefully be sitting in a theater feasting my eyes on Mr. Depp's latest movie - and in exactly two weeks from tonight, let's hope we're all crowded in here on the Zone to report about the Golden Globes ceremony! I hope Johnny shows, and if he's with Vanessa, then it will be doubly wonderful. Can't wait for that weekend!

I can't think of much else at the moment, but in terms of Johnny, let's hope we get plenty of press coverage and new interviews with Johnny for Pirates 2. :cool: Other than that, I wish everyone a happy and healthy year, full of fun times at the ONBC and the Zone. :cool:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:57 pm

Happy New Year, Kristen. High School graduation is quite milestone in your life. I would say that and going away to college are well worth looking forward to. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:11 pm

Thanks, Liz - I think it's a good feeling knowing that I'll still be able to log in on the Zone and chat with ya'll and watch Johnny movies, etc. once I move down there. It's a comfort sort of thing, if that makes sense. :blush: :dunce:

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:13 pm

Wow, Kristen, this will be a big year for you! Savor every minute of this great transition in your life.

At my age, I have learned not to make resolutions anymore. I really liked the quote from Neil Gaiman's website that neophyte posted in another thread that ends, "And I hope, somewhere in 2006, you surprise yourself." That's just what I've done for the past several years. I've just given some thought to positive things I might do and, low and behold, four years ago in February, I quit smoking after almost 40 years of it. (And I am someone who thought that smoking was a part of my personality, my very soul!) Two years ago in March, I started walking two miles a day, six days a week. (And I am someone who never, ever exercised or played sports or anything like that.) And I remain completely surprised that I accomplished those things. So I hope to be pleasantly surprised by something equally as positive this year.

On a Johnny note, I hope to start the year with the Earl :hope: and then welcome back our beloved :captainjack: very soon. And dare I hope that I might get to be a part of a Zone gathering at the premiere? And the filming of Shantaram will begin in 2006. Lots to look forward to.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:22 pm

Happy New Year to everyone!

Bix wrote: four years ago in February, I quit smoking after almost 40 years of it. (And I am someone who thought that smoking was a part of my personality, my very soul!) Two years ago in March, I started walking two miles a day, six days a week. (And I am someone who never, ever exercised or played sports or anything like that.) And I remain completely surprised that I accomplished those things. So I hope to be pleasantly surprised by something equally as positive this year.
Excellent! Good for you, Bix!

Kristen, my daughter is graduating from high school this spring, too, and it's amazing how much turmoil that causes in our whole family. Best wishes to you!

I'm not a resolution maker, either. I have started the year by seeing three good movies in two days (Brokeback Mountina, Good Night and Good Luck, and The Squid and the Whale) so I hope to continue that in the coming year. Fingers crossed that The Libertine plays somewhere close.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:28 pm

Bix wrote:And dare I hope that I might get to be a part of a Zone gathering at the premiere? And the filming of Shantaram will begin in 2006. Lots to look forward to.

Deppinately dare to hope, Bix. I look forward to meeting you. I like the way you look at the resolution/anti-resolution idea--just a positive outlook about what could be around the corner for you in the next year.

I don't like resolutions because I inevitably break them. And then I have to deal with the failure. But this year, I do have a "goal"--to up my running regimen a bit. I really slacked off on my running over the past 6 months or so.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:35 pm

Happy New Year, everyone!

Resolutions? I gave up on those several years ago. I figured Why start the year with a guaranteed failure? I just try to work on developing one good habit at a time – as the need arises, with no list.

I plan on having a great year. I'm going to be celebrating my 25th anniversary at the company I work for – and in this day and age, that doesn't happen all that often. After 19 years of payments, I'm going to have a completely paid-off house this summer. I have lots of projects to look forward to, lots of books to read and discuss here with everyone, and lots of new things to learn. I also have friends -- old and new -- to laugh and cry and giggle with.

So I guess I do have one New Year's resolution – to not let myself get old. I'll keep my brain active with all the projects, books, and learning, and I'll keep my youthful enthusiasm of all things Depp.

As the bracelet that now resides on my arm says: “Today is a gift. . .have fun” That's my goal for every day of 2006.

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:39 pm

No resolutions for me. I'd only break them anyway!
Kristen, graduation from high school and starting college are milestones in your life. Savour and enjoy them because they come only once.

I am looking forward to 2006, seeing The Libertine again (and again), and the return of Captain Jack, as well.

In my personal life, I will continue to take every day as it comes, without lighting up a cigarette or eating things that make me ill.
I want to finish my novel and get a new agent.
I want to finish up my screen play too.
I want to sell my house and buy another and make it a home.
I want to let go of the past that needs to be gone and embrace the future that is going to be.

Most of all, I want to explore new places and things and meet new people and learn all about them, with kindness and transcendence in the experience.
That's what change is all about. And I see this year as being about change.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:39 pm

kristen, best of luck to you! Enjoy the rest of your senior year. We are very happy that you will be able to keep in touch once you leave for college! :cool:

fansmom, three good moives in two days is a pretty good way to start out the New Year. :cool: Thanks for the recommendations too. I have seen Good Night and Good Luck and everyone is raving about Brokeback Mountain so I was hoping to hear something about The Squid and The Whale from someone other than a critic.

bix, I completely understand about quitting smoking. I still marvel that I was able to do it! I liked neophyte's quote as well. I've been surprising myself for the past few years so I can't wait to see what I have in store for myself next year!
:-O :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

deeplyinlovewithdepp

Unread postby deeplyinlovewithdepp » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:50 pm

This year at New Years we barely made it to the countdown, turning on the t.v. 16 seconds before midnight and it all seemed surreal like it couldn't possibly be 2006.

I resolved to write more often and attempt at getting my learner's liscence (which I have so dutifully put off and now will have to wait 6 extra months to get my liscence after my 16th birthday).

This year I looked forward to, only next week, the opening of The Libertine in my city. The completion of my first year of high school. I am going to see Buddy Guy in concert in May. And I am going to travel to wherever the POTC premier is to hopefully catch a glimpse of Johnny.

Most of all I look forward to that which I could not possibly guess in 2006.

Happy New Year everybody.

H2H

Unread postby H2H » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:58 pm

I'm not sure if I can post here since I've never participated in the book threads, although I am planning on picking up Inamorata this week and attempting to participate.

I usually don't do the whole resolution thing either, I think that once you get old enough to break too many you stop calling them that. I agree with Liz and I like to call them goals. I would say that my main goal is to try to take off some weight. I need to get better control of my food intake. I think it is part and parcel of not taking as good care of myself as I should. Classic mom syndrome. Always putting myself last. Need to work on that.

My other goal for the moment is to increase my Johnny movies from the 10 I have (I only had 1 before October) to as many as possible :lol: It's a good thing I have an understanding husband.

My daughter is embarking on an adventutre at the end of the month. She's going to spend a HS semester in Israel so my big goal is to not fall apart while she is gone. :bawl:

My son will be becoming a Bar Mitzvah in April so we have a pretty busy six months ahead of us. And I'm going to try to get through all of the insanity in one piece.

Kristen...good luck with the graduation. College is the best years of your life so enjoy them. The lessons you learn there will follow you forever.

Theresa...25 years at the same company is incredible! It is so rare that something like that happens. Here's to 25 more! :toastingpirates:

Fansmom...I'll holler in another year when mine graduates HS! :lol:

Bix...I like your attitude about making small improvements...it's a great way to make positive changes in your life.

Queen...You've got all the tools you need. Just take it a step at a time. I'm here for you when you need me. Thanks for being such a great friend!
Ladies....an announcement....I am up for it all the time.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:06 pm

H2H wrote:I'm not sure if I can post here since I've never participated in the book threads, although I am planning on picking up Inamorata this week and attempting to participate.

Oh H2H, never feel that way. Of course you can post here. You can even participate in the discussion if you haven't read the book. I'm glad you decided to share what is coming up for you in the new year. :cool: Going to Israel is a major thing. So is a Bar Mitzvah.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:07 pm

Oops, DITHOT, I forgot (for just a second) about the Longhorns - so I have to say HOOK 'EM, HORNS! also. This will be a huge new year's present for us Austinites. And I'm glad I didn't pay a huge amount of money to be standing in the rain in Pasedena today - although I wish I could figure out a way to get half of that water over here where we need it so badly!
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:10 pm

theresa, those are major accomplishments! 25 years with one company and paying off your house? As Willy would say WOW! :wonka: The getting old part will happen whether you are ready for it or not...but you never have to act your age... ;-)

QofK I hope you get to accomplish your goals. You sound like quite a writer and I wish you good luck with that. That is something I have always wanted to do but don't have a single clue about.

deeplyinlovewithdepp, I am :hope: to see The Libertine here next week too! Buddy Guy! :bounce: I saw him in concert this summer...he is fabulous! :thud:

H2H :welcome: We are always glad to have new folks participate in the Monday Night Threads and our book discussioins! :cool: Start reading and join us! :bounce: It sounds like you have a lot to look forward to this year. Your daughter spending a semester in Israel sounds like a fabulous opportunity but I would be :bawl: too! Get cracking on those Johnny movies before hubby catches on.... :shhh:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”