ONBC Monday Night Thread - Holiday Traditions and Plans

Moderator: Liz

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:01 pm

Cait, the gingerbread latte is my favorite too at Starbucks! :cool:

Liz, I hope you're able to find a Greek restaurant near your home. There aren't any Greek restaurants near us either, so my family and I have to travel to downtown Chicago in order to find them! The one I mentioned earlier that we're going to this weekend has been a favorite of ours for a long time now. My parents have been going there for almost 30 years!

Theresa, your Cookie Day sounds fun. Cookies are my favorite junk food, so I would love for my family to do something like that. And we usually have Italian food on Christmas too!
"Breath. We tend not to think much about it. Each one is a blessing--every inhale, every exhale." -Johnny Depp

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:02 pm

I love reading what everyone does! Very different but all seem to involve family and food! :cloud9:

Tigress, congratulations on writing your novel! That is an awesome accomplishment! :cool:

I went shopping last Saturday for the things I had to mail this week. The mall was crazy and by the time I left there were cars parked outside the parking lot on the grass. :-O I used to be much more organized...or do I just say that every year?
:lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:06 pm

We celebrate Christmas, but this year I am feeling so stressed and overwhelmed it feels like one more bit of exhausting work I have to accomplish. NEXT year I will shop all year long and be prepared! (I think I said that last year)

I have about 150 hand made christmas cards ready to sign, mailing labels printed, and a newsletter copied.......now just to put them all together! For me, the cards and letters and pictures are the biggest part of Christmas. Today I received a little calendar from a friend -- she decorated it with photos she had taken (some from the Black Hills last summer) and put birthdays of our friends on it. Those are the kinds of things I love about Christmas mail.

I will be standing in line at the post office with packages at the last possible moment, I am sure -- shopping is barely started.. Have not decorated the house at all and sadly, I haven't even decorated at the cemetery this year (I didn't get there to put up the little tree and wreath before the horrible cold and snow settled in).

Christmas isn't what it used to be, when I had small children; now the grandchildren are even growing up! Last year my hubby had just finished building a tractor repair building, and we had our Christmas celebration there -- I bought a white artificial tree and decorated it all in blue, and we had a fabulous meal and watched football together. This year, we haven't even made plans yet.

NEXT year! Next year I will be prepared! (and maybe the next computer classes I sign up for won't seem so overwhelming!)

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:11 pm

I love everyones answers! It all sounds wonderful.

We are usually on vacation to the coast of Oregon on Christmas, but this year we will be home as we decided to postpone our trip till the end of January. I am not sure what we will do, as the only family I have left to visit will be on vacation as well. So this year will be different as all the years are. Whatever we decide to do, probably drive to the Washington coast for the day, it will be wonderful. I always enjoy a few days off with my husband well rested :omg:

Here is to Peace on Earth no matter where you live or how you celebrate the holidays. Cheers your Starbuck Lattes! :morning:
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

DepplySmitten

Unread postby DepplySmitten » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:18 pm

The Gingerbread latte is my favorite too..I even buy the syrup so I can make them at home!

Most of my family lives in California so some years we get together , some not. This is a not year! My parents are coming for a visit, but they are leaving before Christmas Day in order to spend this year with my sister and brother and their families!

We have several traditions, and one of them is driving around to look at the lights. So many people get soooo into it..I love it! We also make Christmas cookies and fudge every year. My girls live for that! We always make a huge mess....and the dog ends up eating candy sprinkles off the floor... :lol: My Mom used to get us new pajamas to unwrap on Christmas Eve....I do that now for my girls. I try to get festive jammies so they look extra cute in their Christmas morning pics! :grin:

I am sooo behind on my Christmas shopping this year. Normally I'm ahead, but not this year! I think it's because I just bought myself a new puppy, and even though he hasn't come home yet....I have been spending my free time visiting him. :blush:

I love reading about everyones traditions...great subject Liz!
Last edited by DepplySmitten on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:27 pm

Happy Holidays everyone!

I always loved to decorate the tree (still do!), then afterwards turn out the house lights and look at the lighted tree while listening to Christmas albums.

When I was a child my mom would always read me the book Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and we'd always watch the Christmas shows (Which I still watch. I was weeping over It's a Wonderful Life again the other night!).

When we moved away from our extended family Christmas would then involve traveling to visit them. We didn't go every year, but looked forward to it when we did. We would be heading up north, so we always hoped for snow.

Christmas services at my church were always my favorite. Lots of candles, carols, and pagentry. Seemed very magical. A lot of times, after services, we'd go look at houses decorated for the holidays! I still love doing that today! I remember a time during the '70s when there was an energy crunch that few people put out lights. I'm glad those days are over.

Mom and I have a history of Cookie Day too. We'd bake various cookies, including cut outs and fudge. No matter how old I got, Mom never thought I could do any of the work without her constant supervision (Mothers!).

I now split my time between my family and my husband's family at holiday time. His family is Italian-American Catholic, so there was no meat served Christmas Eve. They would have a big seafood feast. Lots of food and opening of presents.

Traditions have changed for me over the years, but one thing is constant....family, food, decorations, fun and reflection. I love this time of year, no matter how stressed I let myself get. Scrooge won't get me!

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's traditions. Makes me think it might be time to start some new ones.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

cait

Unread postby cait » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:27 pm

DepplySmitten wrote:The Gingerbread latte is my favorite too..I even buy the syrup so I can make them at home!

How do you make them? :eyebrow:
Dirt...this is a jar of dirt.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:38 pm

DepplySmitten I love that you carried on the tradition with your girls that your mom set for you. I'll be interested to see if any of ours get handed down when the time comes.

KYwoman, I love turning off the house lights and looking at the tree. I put lights on our mantle as well which adds to the effect. And then I sing along with the music...but only when no one else is home!
:lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:42 pm

Nebraska, it's been an extremely stressful year so far for me too. You're not alone. But like KY said, I'm still in the Christmas spirit. :chill:

DepplySmitten, I like that pajama tradition. :cool:

Raven, it is delightful going on a trip with a rested DH. :grin: And here's a cup of gingerbread latte (I've got to try that) to world peace. :morning:

KY, it seems to me that a few years back the trend here was not to put up lights due to our energy crisis. I want to say that this may have been 2002?

Theresa, can I have that manicotti recipe?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:46 pm

Liz wrote:Theresa, can I have that manicotti recipe?

I also would love the Manicotti recipe!! I cannot find my moms recipe and need another!

thanks in advance

Raven
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid

and the envious."

John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:51 pm

Guys, I can barely make a sandwich....

But I'll get the recipe from my mom when I talk to her.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:10 pm

I love reading about everyone's traditions. My siblings still do gather at our parents' house in rural Texas for Christmas. My mother is 86 and my father 84, so we may not have many more times like this. But for some reason I thought of what we used to do when we were all little children (I have a brother two years younger, a sister 8 years younger and a sister 14 years younger). The church plays a big part in the social life of rural Texas and our community had a Lutheran church and a Roman Catholic church, so you were one or the other. We belonged to the Lutheran church, so on Christmas Eve we had the Sunday School program around 6:30 in the evening, a pageant presented by all the children. It was usually some version of the nativity scene and everyone had a few sentences to memorize, but it was nerve-wracking business, this standing up in front of the packed church and saying your lines, etc. Anyway, the part I'm remembering is that every year, it would be time to go to church and Daddy would just not be ready. And we were going to be late! So Mother had to drive us there and when we finally looked out at the audience, Daddy had managed to get there and we could relax. And you know what? Every year, when we got home from church, Santa had been there!!! There were bicycles and doll houses and tiny cooking stoves and big dolls and whatever the current wonderful thing was all under our tree!!! (I think I was 13 before I figured it out! :blush: ) But it was a very lovely gift they gave us.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

San

Unread postby San » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:18 pm

It is nice to read about everyone's traditions.
In my family their was never really a big christmas tradition, but we always celebrated the end of the year big.
My husband was Mr. Christmas himself, so since being with him I only had to follow and let him do what he likes best (tree, decoration, food) he had the time of his life. Now that he is gone I'm a bit lost and searching for new traditions. Last year I spent christmas on my own and that was in a way good too. This year I gonna spent it with my new found love and his family. I have no idea what traditions they have. They are roman catholics and his dad comes from the Molukken in Asia. Boxing day we spend this year with my complete family, maybe that become a tradition too.
I have finished my christmas shopping only have to wrap my presents. Now it is the christmas card writing that I still need to do.
San

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 pm

theresa... :lol: do send on that manicotti recipe! I love Italian food... :bounce:

Bix, I was about 13 too and unknowingly opened the wrong closet door only to find what I had seen in the closet under the Christmas tree the next morning. :-O It was fun while it lasted though. Imagine how stressed your dad must have been to have all that put together at home and still make the pageant on time! What a great memory.

doe maar...dont remind me about Christmas cards! I'll be lucky to have mine out by Valentines Day at the rate I'm going! :banghead:

Noodlemantras, I'm signing out for the evening. I love reading about all the traditions and will look forward to reading more tomorrow!
:bounce:

Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:25 pm

gilly wrote:: ....I bought myself a guinea pig this year just for me..Our piggy of 7 years died recently..I was devastated,how silly is that....

Not silly at all, gilly. When our first guinea pig died several years ago, I had to take the day off work because I was in such a funk. He was 7 as well, and that is old for a pig. The vet said it was 102 in human years. I like our current pigs, but Pookie was special. :tear:

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”