ONBC Monday Night Thread - Holiday Traditions and Plans

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

ONBC Monday Night Thread - Holiday Traditions and Plans

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:51 pm

Oops! Forgot the THUD warning. :capnjack: :mwahaha:

Christmas and Chanukah are upon us. If you celebrate Chanukah, do you have any traditions, celebrations or experiences you would like to share? If you celebrate Christmas, what about your plans and traditions? Have you started your Christmas or Chanukah shopping? Do you have any traveling plans for the holidays?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

ThirdArm

Unread postby ThirdArm » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:05 pm

We've always had a 'blended' family with regard to the holidays. My dad's side is Jewish and my mom's isn't. That made for some very interesting holiday times when I was growing up. When Mr Charlotte and I got together, Hispanic traditions were added to the mix.

Currently, Mr C and I don't do a lot, but one thing we always make time for is to drive around and look at the lighted Christmas decorations on the houses. Some are very elaborate. And, no, I haven't even begun anywhere near any kind of shopping. It just might be a gift certificate kind of year!
~No doubt the years have changed me.~

cait

Unread postby cait » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:14 pm

My aunt and I go out every year to do Christmas shopping. Our plan is to go next Monday. We always stop at Starbucks and get one of the Christmas coffees. It's always a fun evening.

This weekend we went to cut our Christmas tree. We've gone to the same place for years. This year my four year old cousin came along. He's too cute :heart2: (even though he threw snow at me!)

We usually stay home during the holidays. Most of my family comes to visit here so we see them a lot. We take turns between my Mom and Dad's family for Christmas dinner.

On Christmas Eve we go to midnight mass. I love the feeling of leaving church and knowing that it's already Christmas.
Dirt...this is a jar of dirt.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:21 pm

My family celebrates Christmas. I think my favorite tradition is the Christmas tree and the decorations. We usually chop down our tree except during dry years--and this is one of those. So our tree was from a lot. And I must say, it is gorgeous.

Another tradition for us since we had kids was to send out a Christmas card picture every year. The last 4 years I have done collages and the "Christmas letter". I try to think of a new slant on that every year, though, to be different.

I always enjoy baking and decorating cookies with the kids and driving around to see the lights, like you, Charlotte.

This year I am going to try to get back into an old tradition that went by the wayside--San Francisco at Christmas time. It is the best time to go there, I think.
Last edited by Liz on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:26 pm

cait wrote:My aunt and I go out every year to do Christmas shopping. Our plan is to go next Monday. We always stop at Starbucks and get one of the Christmas coffees. It's always a fun evening.

This weekend we went to cut our Christmas tree. We've gone to the same place for years. This year my four year old cousin came along. He's too cute :heart2: (even though he threw snow at me!)

We usually stay home during the holidays. Most of my family comes to visit here so we see them a lot. We take turns between my Mom and Dad's family for Christmas dinner.

On Christmas Eve we go to midnight mass. I love the feeling of leaving church and knowing that it's already Christmas.

Cait, that is a neat tradition to have with your aunt. You two must be close. I love midnight service too. It is so magical. And I love holding the candles in the dark. I just wish I could get my family to go with me more often. I haven't been in a couple of years.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:29 pm

I've done most of my xmas shopping...the heat has been really oppressive this year,another hazard is the daily thunderstorms :-O ....We have the traditional Xmas dinner on Xmas Eve..to try to avoid some of the heat..fortunately mum's house has air..con. :bounce: ....I bought myself a guinea pig this year just for me..Our piggy of 7 years died recently..I was devastated,how silly is that...I am off to a Xmas fair on Friday night...Santa arrives by helicopter,the shops in Maleny,a small town,stay open,there are street stalls,fireworks and bands..Lots of places here decorate on the outside with fantastic Xmas stuff...People take it really seriously,lots of competitive spirit to do the biggest and brightest..In our small town,people get in their cars at night to tour the Xmas lights...We open pressies on Xmas morning..have a light lunch and then go to the beach about 4o'clock when it's cooler....
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:34 pm

gilly wrote: Our piggy of 7 years died recently..I was devastated,how silly is that...I am off to a Xmas fair on Friday night...Santa arrives by helicopter,the shops in Maleny,a small town,stay open,there are street stalls,fireworks and bands..Lots of places here decorate on the outside with fantastic Xmas stuff...People take it really seriously,lots of competitive spirit to do the biggest and brightest..In our small town,people get in their cars at night to tour the Xmas lights...We open pressies on Xmas morning..have a light lunch and then go to the beach about 4o'clock when it's cooler....

Not silly at all, Gilly. We are attached to all of our animals--even the litttle buggers. Is 7 years a long time for a guinea pig? And the beach on Christmas sounds delightful. I've done that a few times myself. I forget that your weather is opposite of ours.

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:35 pm

My family doesn't normally travel for the holidays. Usually, we'll have a few relatives over on Christmas Eve, and then we have dinner together and watch movies.

There is one Christmas tradition that my family and I do every year. There is an area of homes about an hour away from where we live that goes really overboard with their Christmas decorations every year. Most of the houses set up elaborate displays-some feature singing mechanical figures, and one house even has a Christmas tree going through its roof! We usually drive over there to look at those decorations, and then we go to a favorite Greek restaurant of ours in Chicago afterwards.

As for Christmas shopping, I'm almost done with it for this year. I still have a little more shopping left to do, which I'll save for this weekend (nothing like waiting 'til the last minute!) :blush:
"Breath. We tend not to think much about it. Each one is a blessing--every inhale, every exhale." -Johnny Depp

cait

Unread postby cait » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:36 pm

Liz wrote:
cait wrote:My aunt and I go out every year to do Christmas shopping. Our plan is to go next Monday. We always stop at Starbucks and get one of the Christmas coffees. It's always a fun evening.

Cait, that is a neat tradition to have with your aunt. You two must be close. I love midnight service too. It is so magical. And I love holding the candles in the dark. I just wish I could get my family to go with me more often. I haven't been in a couple of years.

Funny story about the candles. One year, there was a guy infront of us who lit his very curly hair on fire! Luckily, his sister noticed and put it out right away. Silent Night will never be the same! :lol:

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:39 pm

cait wrote:
My aunt and I go out every year to do Christmas shopping. Our plan is to go next Monday. We always stop at Starbucks and get one of the Christmas coffees. It's always a fun evening.

Aren't the Christmas coffees at Starbucks delicious, Cait? I am officially addicted to all three of their holiday lattes! There is a Starbucks at the mall near my home, and I always made sure to go there when I did my Christmas shopping this year. :cool:
"Breath. We tend not to think much about it. Each one is a blessing--every inhale, every exhale." -Johnny Depp

Tigress

Unread postby Tigress » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:45 pm

Good evening ladies!

We celebrate Christmas around here. And we almost always put our tree up on my birthday, except for this year. We've had it up for a week already and my birthday isn't until tomorrow.

One very (unfortunatly) short tradition was one I had with my aunt and two cousins. My moms family are all really close, so my two cousins who are closest to my age, (one's a month older one's a year older) and I would go to my aunts on her birthday and decorate her house. She passed away earlier this year, so it was really hard to go back to her house (which her son and his wife now own) and pick out some decorations that we'd like to have. It's going to be a very different Christmas without her.

But the rest of the family will finally be together for the first time in 2 years. My dad and brother are coming home and they haven't been home for Christmas for 2 years (except my brother who was only gone a year). Last Christmas was hard because they were gone, but this year we finally get to have a big breakfast on Christmas morning! My dad makes the best breakfast, so i'm going to make him do that again lol. Then we go to both cousins houses and give and get gifts. Then for supper we all go to someone's house. It's always fun. Oh, and on Christmas Eve we go to the early church service, and Nan and Pops house. We haven't gone to church for two years either. I didn't want to go without dad and my brother.

And this year i'm starting a tradition (we hope) with one of my new friends. There's a town that lights up their boats every year 5 minutes away from here but i've never gone. So i'm going to go to the boat lighting with him and a bunch of our friends and hopefully do it every year after this one!

And I just wrote a novel, so i'll leave it right there lol. We have many traditions around here, and they're always so fun. I can never wait for Christmas!
**I don't try to be Captain Weird, I just do what I do**
~Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars~ Casey Kasem

cait

Unread postby cait » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:50 pm

Johnny Fanatic wrote:cait wrote:

Aren't the Christmas coffees at Starbucks delicious, Cait? I am officially addicted to all three of their holiday lattes! There is a Starbucks at the mall near my home, and I always made sure to go there when I did my Christmas shopping this year. :cool:

They are very good! I think the gingerbread latte is my favorite but I like all of them!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:52 pm

Johnny Fanatic, now you have me salivating for Greek food. I haven't had any in years. I don't even know where the closest one is to me. Now I must find one.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:54 pm

We have several Christmas traditions in my family. Every year my younger sister and my mom have a Cookie Day, where they bake ten to fifteen different kinds of cookies in one day. The rest of the family are the official taste testers.

Then on Christmas Eve, my dad and I always go shopping, usually just to a few local stores to pick up stocking stuffers – but since I haven't even begun shopping yet, this year Christmas Eve's shopping might be more of a frenzied affair.

On Christmas Day, we have a dinner of sausage and cheese stuffed manicotti, Italian sausage, garlic bread, and salad. Since we've all become adults scattered about the country, sometimes Christmas dinner comes several days after Christmas – whenever we can get everyone together.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:59 pm

Happy Birthday a day ahead, Tigress! :happybday:

I forgot to mention another tradition--to spend a few days during the holidays with Mr. Liz's side of the family--his two brothers and their families and his mom and her DH. We usually do it on New Year's Eve and rotate houses. Last year was mine. This year it's San Diego.

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”