Monday Night Thread ~ Book Clubs

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:22 am

KYwoman wrote:This month's selection is The Battle for God, by Karen Armstrong. I don't always get the book started or finished but I always go to the discussions.

Now that is a familiar name. Letterman, was it? I'd really like to know what your book group thinks of that one. Report back, will you, KY?

Your group sounds like my kind of group--interesting books, travel. I think, from what I've heard of book clubs, mine sticks to the topic more than most. We do spend a good hour on it. And I'm really glad I'm still with the group. I probably wouldn't see these ladies much otherwise.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeniseB

Unread postby DeniseB » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:11 am

My best friend and I actually just started a book club. We haven't had our first meeting yet (it'll take place at the end of this month), but I honestly don't expect it to be even remotely as in depth as this one. Right now we're starting off w/easy, 'fluff' reading. 'The Devil Wears Prada' is our first book and I really don't foresee us getting into too much detail with that one. It's basically just something to get us started. I can already envision us talking about the book for maybe a good 15 minutes, and then spend the rest of the time eating and socializing, lol. Hopefully as we all get accustomed to this book club thing, the meetings will get more in depth.

What I enjoy about ONBC (even though I have yet to actually fully participate) is that I can think about my answers before actually putting them out there. And like some of you mentioned, we all have a common interest in the books which makes for interesting discussions.
"Jack Sparrow...me knew de wind blow ya back to me one day!"

"Oh bugger!"

"I got a jar of dirt, I got a jar of dirt."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:37 am

DeniseB, good luck with your book club! Let us know how it goes! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:48 am

Liz wrote:
KYwoman wrote:This month's selection is The Battle for God, by Karen Armstrong. I don't always get the book started or finished but I always go to the discussions.

Now that is a familiar name. Letterman, was it? I'd really like to know what your book group thinks of that one. Report back, will you, KY?

Your group sounds like my kind of group--interesting books, travel. I think, from what I've heard of book clubs, mine sticks to the topic more than most. We do spend a good hour on it. And I'm really glad I'm still with the group. I probably wouldn't see these ladies much otherwise.

Yeah, I think JD mentioned Karen Armstrong on Letterman. She has written quite a few books on religion. Our book group read an earlier work of hers called The History of God. She's very interesting. I'll let you know what we all think.....btw, I haven't even started it and the discussion is next Tues. Typical!
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:21 pm

Before ONBC I had never even heard of a book club! This is my first and only experience and I love it here. I have learned so many new things and been exposed to so many new ideas. I have read books here that I would have never dreamed of reading otherwise; in fact, I had pretty much stopped reading entirely before ONBC. Of course, being Johnny-related makes it even better.

Like others, I appreciate the wide range of members we have here -- ages, nationalities, etc -- it adds many more layers of meaning to the discussions. The tidbits and the thoughtful questions are a benefit and the fact that we can go back and post at any time the discussion is active is a benefit as well. I don't like the constraints of having to be somewhere at a specific day and hour nearly as well as being able to pop in at the Zone when time allows.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:10 pm

I was surprised to realize that, even though I have been an avid reader all my life, I have never been part of a book club either before ONBC. I think it had something to do with my not being a very social person and not having a whole lot of confidence. (If some of you ONBCers speak as eloquently as you write, I would be under my chair trembling if I were face to face with you!) Anyway, I was just never in the right place at the right time, I guess.

ONBC is a real joy for all the reasons you have all already stated. Every person brings something to the discussion and it is so awesome to have input from all the varied ages and places. I have learned so much from the tidbits, the books and from all of you. Thank you again, DITHOT and Liz.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:14 pm

nebraska wrote: Like others, I appreciate the wide range of members we have here -- ages, nationalities, etc -- it adds many more layers of meaning to the discussions.

This is such a treasure. :disco:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

stipje

Unread postby stipje » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:16 pm

I've never been part of a bookclub, I actually never heard about it.. :blush: But I must say I've been thinking about joining the ONBC :-) Maybe, at the beginning, I won't be quite able to express myself correctly in the discussions, but I'll definitely try to keep up with the reading and I'll try to join in on the discussions as well :blush:

*Stipje

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:32 pm

The ONBC is my only experience with a bookclub, too, but I'm starting to think I must find another one to join. My local library has one, and I may start there. Their books look discussable--in January they're doing "The Kite Runner."

An acquaintance has asked me to join her new Red Hat group (although I'm not old enough--one must be 50 to be a full member), and we have our first meeting this Saturday. I'm thinking of attending the first meeting and bailing out if I don't like it by saying that I'd rather find a book club instead. Limited time, you know. :blush:

Has anyone seen the episode of "Malcolm in the Middle" in which the mom joins a book club and labors through the book only to learn that the others in the group use the meetings as an excuse to escape their families?

Stipje, I think you're already a member of the ONBC, since you've posted here! Welcome!

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:42 pm

Hello everyone, this is an interesting discussion!

Book clubs seem to be really taking off in the UK now. ONBC is the first book club I've participated in - I'm quite shy and wouldn't have the confidence to contribute to a "live" discussion infront of other people. I too love the "convenience" of being able to dip and and out of ONBC when time allows and the fact that it enables us to share opinions from around the world.

I'm not very good with deadlines - Shantaram I confess defeated me, I just couldn't read it in the time allowed! :blush: I've put it to one side and will return to it at some point, I am determined to finish it before Johnny commences the movie! I'm really looking forward to The Libertine discussion as I've been doing a lot of reading on Rochester - let's face it, how many book clubs are there who would discuss John Wilmot?? It's wonderful to be able to come here and discuss him, because I don't have any friends who are interested in my "real world".

I think Johnny would be very heartened to see how we are expanding our reading tastes and learning from the books and eachother :cool:
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:42 pm

fansmom wrote:The ONBC is my only experience with a bookclub, too, but I'm starting to think I must find another one to join. My local library has one, and I may start there. Their books look discussable--in January they're doing "The Kite Runner."

An acquaintance has asked me to join her new Red Hat group (although I'm not old enough--one must be 50 to be a full member), and we have our first meeting this Saturday. I'm thinking of attending the first meeting and bailing out if I don't like it by saying that I'd rather find a book club instead. Limited time, you know. :blush:

Has anyone seen the episode of "Malcolm in the Middle" in which the mom joins a book club and labors through the book only to learn that the others in the group use the meetings as an excuse to escape their families?

Stipje, I think you're already a member of the ONBC, since you've posted here! Welcome!

I missed that Malcom episode, but I bet it was a good one! My boss is reading the Kite Runner now and she said she can't wait for me to read it. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Welcome to ONBC stpje! :wave: fansmom is right, now you are a memeber! Please don't worry about expressing yourself, there are no right or wrong answers...
:cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:34 pm

Remember this line from ALWD? :rotflmao:

“A few years ago, Cindy joined one of those dreadful reading groups, where unhappy, repressed middle class lesbians talk for five minutes about some novel they don’t understand, and then spend the rest of the evening moaning about how dreadful men are.”

Well I’m sorry, Nick, but Oprah Noodlemantra’s Book Club is a lovely reading group where happy, uninhibited, extremely intellectual women of all ages talk for hours on end about novels of which they have great insight, and then if there is time, drool over Johnny Depp. :biglaugh:

We are happy to have you as a member of this group, stpje :wave: :bounce:

Sands

Unread postby Sands » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:47 pm

Yes Liz, I remember that. I couldn't help feeling a bit put out. What a cheek :lol:
'Well, it's a little difficult for me to tell right now because I'm kind of having a bad day'

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:11 pm

Sands wrote:Yes Liz, I remember that. I couldn't help feeling a bit put out. What a cheek :lol:

Me too, Sands. I like Liz's version much better! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:38 pm

Liz wrote: Oprah Noodlemantra’s Book Club is a lovely reading group where happy, uninhibited, extremely intellectual women of all ages talk for hours on end about novels of which they have great insight, and then if there is time, drool over Johnny Depp.

Ahh, Liz. You know us all so well!!!!;-)

bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”