Monday Night Thread ~ Book Clubs

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:35 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: Sorry, Liz... did you say CURRY or were you just mumbling??? I really can't hear you little girl. [/b] :grin:


The color you have there for curry is close, but more like THIS. :capnjack:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:37 pm

Liz wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: Sorry, Liz... did you say CURRY or were you just mumbling??? I really can't hear you little girl. [/b] :grin:


The color you have there for curry is close, but more like THIS. :capnjack:



MUMBLER!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:38 pm

CarrieKY wrote:I belonged to a book club that was started at the hospital where I work. Sadly, as now, I am a horrible book club member - I always buy the book, start the book, but...never finish the assigned book. Do you think it's my lack of self control, or that I hate deadlines?

I'm sitting here looking at my crammed bookshelves that include - Shantaram, F&LILV, A Long Way Down.... :-O ...collecting dust. I do love to read, but I guess on my own schedule.


I hate to admit it, but I don't always finish the books in my hometown book club because my priority is here, :blush: and there is only so much time in a day.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
bluebird
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:34 pm
Location: Southeastern PA

Status: Offline

Unread postby bluebird » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:41 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: By the way...we are glad you started posting! :cool:


:thanks:, DITHOT! And Liz and the rest of the ONBCers, too. :bouquet:

And, you're right, that "similar interest" helps a lot!, too!!!

bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:51 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Liz wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: Sorry, Liz... did you say CURRY or were you just mumbling??? I really can't hear you little girl. [/b] :grin:


The color you have there for curry is close, but more like THIS. :capnjack:



MUMBLER!


:wonka: I forgot to mention that Missi Pyle in CATCF reminded me a lot of that Indian guy with the paan in his mouth.

And I forgot to add my recent recommendations:

Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas was the Iranian book. I would recommend it highly for adults and middle schoolers on up. It is the true story of a young girl who comes to the U.S. to live during the Shah’s reign. It's not particularly literary--just a fun, humorous read.

If anyone is interested, the book by the author who came to our last meeting is War Orphan in San Francisco:

http://www.stevenscreekpress.com

This is another true story about a girl who comes to the U.S. by herself at the age of 11 to escape the Nazi’s. It is told largely through letters between herself and her parents (the dad in Australia and the mom in Austria) and it’s also about the Dunera, of which some of you Australians might be aware. I think it was well written and was an interesting book from a historical perspective. However, I felt there were too many letters. Some of them can be skipped.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Betty Sue
Posts: 1430
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:37 pm

Status: Offline

Unread postby Betty Sue » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:36 am

I've tried and failed to get a book discussion group going in our area, and now I'm happy with ONBC and wouldn't be interested anyway. (So there!) I wanted to join a group because of the discipline--reading books I probably wouldn't have read otherwise and having to pay better attention while reading. This group is so rich in background material (thanks, Moderators!), has such diverse members, and reads such cool Johnny books! Instead of an hour or so once a month, we get to engage in discussions every day if we want and take time thinking through our answers (mine may not seem to be thought through... :eyebrow: ). Love reading all the answers and doing at my leisure.
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

User avatar
Rainey
Posts: 1563
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:35 am
Location: Missouri

Status: Offline

Unread postby Rainey » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:47 am

Hi ladies! :wave:

Well, I don't belong to any other book club in the real world, but in high school I belonged to one. I really enjoy the online version better because everyone is a different age and therefore has different views. In high school, everyone was the same age and when someone stated their opinion, everyone else was just like, yeah, what she said. So it was pretty dull and boring. :-/

I would like to state though that I am working on my business degree and am going to open my own book store! It will be a year or so, but it's still something exciting for me to look forward too! :grin:
It's beauty that captures your attention; personality which captures your heart.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:02 am

Rainey wrote:Hi ladies! :wave:

Well, I don't belong to any other book club in the real world, but in high school I belonged to one. I really enjoy the online version better because everyone is a different age and therefore has different views. In high school, everyone was the same age and when someone stated their opinion, everyone else was just like, yeah, what she said. So it was pretty dull and boring. :-/

I would like to state though that I am working on my business degree and am going to open my own book store! It will be a year or so, but it's still something exciting for me to look forward too! :grin:


Rainey, that is exciting indeed. :cool: :bounce: So can we get an ONBC discount? :grin:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Rainey
Posts: 1563
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:35 am
Location: Missouri

Status: Offline

Unread postby Rainey » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:12 am

Liz wrote:
Rainey wrote:Hi ladies! :wave:

Well, I don't belong to any other book club in the real world, but in high school I belonged to one. I really enjoy the online version better because everyone is a different age and therefore has different views. In high school, everyone was the same age and when someone stated their opinion, everyone else was just like, yeah, what she said. So it was pretty dull and boring. :-/

I would like to state though that I am working on my business degree and am going to open my own book store! It will be a year or so, but it's still something exciting for me to look forward too! :grin:


Rainey, that is exciting indeed. :cool: :bounce: So can we get an ONBC discount? :grin:


Well of course you can!! :highfive: And I'm up for any suggestions on a good name for the store. So if anyone has any good ideas, please feel free to share! :grin:
It's beauty that captures your attention; personality which captures your heart.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:18 am

Rainey wrote: Well of course you can!! :highfive: And I'm up for any suggestions on a good name for the store. So if anyone has any good ideas, please feel free to share! :grin:


:-| :grin:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
dharma_bum
Posts: 2509
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:05 am
Location: Villa Incognito

Status: Offline

Unread postby dharma_bum » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:01 am

Glendaleigh wrote: It's a very Oprah/best seller list. Not that that's a bad thing, but it just doesn't appeal.

My experience exactly with my work book club… it was an excuse to socialize and eat. None of the books were the least bit challenging—not that they always need to be—but there really wasn't a whole lot to say about The Nanny Diaries. Hunter would have made their heads explode.

ONBC rules.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

User avatar
es
Posts: 9964
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:56 pm
Location: den helder,aan zee

Status: Offline

Unread postby es » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:59 am

no real live bookclub,the reason,I have a specifiek genre of books that I read and not always time.

the real comfort with the onbc is that you can just pop in if the book appeal to you (or in some cases is availeble to you)
and..you dont need a babysitter :cool:
greets,
es
who laughs the last didnt got the joke,
freek&sjaak

User avatar
Sands
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:28 pm
Location: Wales, UK

Status: Offline

Unread postby Sands » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:42 am

I think the Internet is definitely the way to go, though I do like the idea of themed food. The nearest we've got to that is sharing a glass of Chivas Regal for Hunter's memorial.

I did belong to a real life book club for a while in the village where I used to live but I found it was just frustrating. The books were quite interesting but we only ever discussed them for about ten minutes as the other women spent the rest of the two hours swapping village gossip. Pretty boring, since I was new to the place and didn't even know any of the people they were gossiping about. It was really just an excuse to get away from their husbands for an evening I think. And since I was the newcomer to the group I didn't feel I could say anything about it.

This is much better because we generally stay more or less on topic. I'm sure the fact that most of us don't know each other in person helps us to avoid just socialising, and also the Monday Night Threads give us a specific place to do that and get to know each other. Also we have the benefit of views from all over the world which I really like, it makes the discussions so much broader.

In fact I've got to like Internet discussions so much I've even decided to set up my own forum (not Depp related and not just books, more general), so thanks for the inspiration! :cool: Don't worry though, nothing will keep me away from the ONBC :-)
'Well, it's a little difficult for me to tell right now because I'm kind of having a bad day'

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:27 am

Rainey and Sands, those are good points about us being able to discuss the books with people of different age groups and nationalities. That definitely makes us more interesting!

By the way...I think Oprah Noodlemantra's Book Store would be a wonderful name! :lol: Thanks for the discount, Rainey! :highfive:

es, you are right about not needing a babysitter..some of us even sneak in from work now and then... :shhh:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
KYwoman
Posts: 5958
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:26 pm
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Status: Offline

Unread postby KYwoman » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:48 am

Hey all!

I'm in a local book group going on 13 years now. I love our monthly get togethers. We also have a mid-winter pot luck dinner (which includes the spouses) and we've traveled together too. One member has a co-op house in France, and some of the members went there and another member has a summer home in Maine. I went on that trip. Next trip is to Italy, hopefully next year. These trips have nothing to do with the books, we just all love to see new places/travel, etc. The women in my group are all rather dynamic, but down to earth. We tend to like to support female authors and read about feminist issues, but we have greatly expanded over the years. We alternate between fiction and nonfiction to satisfy everyone. This month's selection is The Battle for God, by Karen Armstrong. I don't always get the book started or finished but I always go to the discussions.

I really love ONBC too. I love all the tidbits and the extended time to respond. The format here lends itself to a much more indepth take on the book. My local book group digresses from the book a lot. I'd love for everyone here to meet and get together sometime. I'm glad I have both places to discuss books. Rarely do the two overlap, altho I had the group read Chocolat and it was a great discussion with lots of wonderful chocolate provided!
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:


Return to “The Monday Night Thread”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest