Monday Night Thread ~ Book Clubs

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Monday Night Thread ~ Book Clubs

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:26 pm

DITHOT screeching in sideways here.... :-)

Sorry to be so late with the Monday Night Thread tonight! Real life took longer than expected today… :banghead:

Tonight’s thread is about book clubs. Image

Do you belong to any other book clubs out in the real world? If so what do you think about it vs. the internet version?

Would you ever consider starting a book club in your area?

What books would you recommend to the group?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Theresa
JDZ Webmaster
Posts: 26565
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 1:21 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Status: Offline

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:50 pm

Book clubs, eh?

The ONBC is the only book club I've ever been a part of, and I've loved every minute of it.

Just guessing here, because I don't have any experiences to compare it with, but I think an internet book club is the only way to go. I like being able to have the time to think about my responses and to ponder on everyone else's responses. I also think that, at least for me, I can be more open with my responses than if I am in a room with other people. I guess it's the security of semi-anonymity.

What books would I recommend? The two that I have immensely enjoyed are two that were recommended here at the ONBC, The Time Traveler's Wife and Pillars of the Earth.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:57 pm

We have had a book club where I work. We would take a month to read the book and then have a lunch to discuss it. We based our food for the lunch around the book. For example, when we read The Five People You Meet in Heaven we had carnival food... It was great fun! We did realize though that we were starting to pick our books based on what we could have to eat instead of the book... I suggested Chocolat. :grin:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:11 pm

Well, I may be a little biased, but I have to say internet book clubs are the best, even though I've been with my hometown book club for 10 years this year. We go into so much more deppth here at ONBC.

I got the tidbit idea from my hometown book club. Most of the time it's just information on the author, reviews, that kind of thing. What's missing here at ONBC are the appetizers and the dessert. Those who wish to, might prepare food inspired by the book. A couple of months ago we read a book written by an Iranian woman. The hostess served Iranian food which she prepared herself. When this hostess did Life of Pi she brought in food from an Indian restaurant. That's what I plan to do when we discuss Shantaram in January. I plan to play Indian music too. Another time we read a book by this author where we each made a recipe from the book and brought it to share. It was a mystery book that had recipes in the back of the book. Last month we had our first author present. She is someone who published her book on her own--thus why we were able to get her to come. Another time a woman did a phone interview with a local author--James Houston.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Still-Rather-Timid
Posts: 1304
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:07 pm

Status: Offline

Unread postby Still-Rather-Timid » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:13 pm

Since my job is being a professor of English literature, I must admit that participating in a book club is a bit of a busman's holiday for me--I have your job of moderator as my day job, DITHOT and Liz! But I must confess, you do a more thorough job of preparation than I do for my classes.

I once belonged to a book club in my town, but much as I love my job of getting paid to discuss literature, going to those book club meetings in the evening was like having more work to do when I got home! So I really prefer this on-line book club, and I like the very casual, open comfortable atmosphere here--although because I am teaching an 18th-century novels course right now, and those books are 500-900 pages, I haven't had time to read the current book under discussion. I read very slowly--about 20 pages an hour at best.

Two books I have read because Johnny apparently read 'em are The Bounty and Black Dahlia Avenger. Both were really good: I've always been fascinated by Fletcher Christian, as well as, I must confess, true crime stories. Black Dahlia is an incredibly creepy read that will keep you awake at night, and sort of feeling like you want to wash something rotten off, all at the same time. It would be a good book to respond to together.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:29 pm

srt, you get paid to do this! (Dang, note to self...check want ads...) :lol: I have a copy of Black Dhalia Avenger but haven't had the chance to read it yet. Thanks for the review.

Liz, your hometown book club sounds pretty cool actually. You guys really get into the spirit of the book. Will you be having paan in January??? :-O
Image

theresa, I loved both of those books! I think they would make great selections for a book club. Not sure I would go the food route with Pillars of the Earth though... :yuck:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Glendaleigh
Posts: 5286
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:51 am

Status: Offline

Unread postby Glendaleigh » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:51 pm

Although I don't participate in discussions as they happen, I have learned a lot from the posted discussions. I could join a book club at the library, but our director's selections don't entice me at all. It's a very Oprah/best seller list. Not that that's a bad thing, but it just doesn't appeal.

It's extremely nice to be able to browse through past discussions and compare what's been posted with what I thought.

And I must say that all of the tidbits leading up to the discussions are very meaty and satisfying! So, I gain all the way around. Wonderful books to discuss/read and great company with diverse, intelligent opinions and nobody seems to ever throw a book at the wall!

User avatar
QueenofKings
Posts: 7732
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:36 pm
Location: Edge City On the Road

Status: Offline

Unread postby QueenofKings » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:52 pm

Before ONBC I have never been a part of any sort of book club. I don't know that I would want to be part of one that has meetings. I am just not that social a person. Well, actually, I guess I am a very social person, but that part of my life revolves around my close friends and music. I love to read, so maybe I would like meeting with other people who do as well. Maybe I'll have to try a book club that meets in person someday just to see whether I like it or not.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:56 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:srt, you get paid to do this! (Dang, note to self...check want ads...) :lol: I have a copy of Black Dhalia Avenger but haven't had the chance to read it yet. Thanks for the review.

Liz, your hometown book club sounds pretty cool actually. You guys really get into the spirit of the book. Will you be having paan in January??? :-O
Image

theresa, I loved both of those books! I think they would make great selections for a book club. Not sure I would go the food route with Pillars of the Earth though... :yuck:


And she reads slowly too--like me. I should be able to get a job doing that. The problem is that I think I need to go back to school for a doctorate. :-/

DITHOT....paan?.....not likely. But I will probably be serving curry. Want to join us? :grin:
Last edited by Liz on Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:56 pm

For the most part I have enjoyed my real time book clubs but I like the format of the online group. It's gives you a chance to think about your answer and read and digest what others write at your own pace. Plus I think we are able to discuss more in deppth, as it were...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
CarrieKY
Posts: 2424
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:00 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky ~ Cincinnati

Status: Offline

Unread postby CarrieKY » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:02 pm

I belonged to a book club that was started at the hospital where I work. Sadly, as now, I am a horrible book club member - I always buy the book, start the book, but...never finish the assigned book. Do you think it's my lack of self control, or that I hate deadlines?

I'm sitting here looking at my crammed bookshelves that include - Shantaram, F&LILV, A Long Way Down.... :-O ...collecting dust. I do love to read, but I guess on my own schedule.

Still-Rather-Timid
Posts: 1304
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:07 pm

Status: Offline

Unread postby Still-Rather-Timid » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:18 pm

CarrieKY wrote:I belonged to a book club that was started at the hospital where I work. Sadly, as now, I am a horrible book club member - I always buy the book, start the book, but...never finish the assigned book. Do you think it's my lack of self control, or that I hate deadlines?

I'm sitting here looking at my crammed bookshelves that include - Shantaram, F&LILV, A Long Way Down.... :-O ...collecting dust. I do love to read, but I guess on my own schedule.


Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates is still sitting on my nightstand, with a bookmark stuck in it about a quarter of the way through. And Shantaram is. . . well, Shantaram is somewhere in this house, probably in a book shelf, to be rediscovered later.

User avatar
bluebird
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:34 pm
Location: Southeastern PA

Status: Offline

Unread postby bluebird » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:19 pm

I used to belong to the book discussion group at our library. We took turns suggesting a book, then the month of the discussion the suggester had to give some background on the author and the book. I enjoyed it, lovely women, diverse in ages (several from the nearby retirement village). I read several books that I never would have read and I enjoyed them.
Most of the books discussed were predictable. As Glendaleigh said, Oprah and best sellers. Must admit I've thought about joining again just to suggest and lead a discussion on Shantaram!!!! Or, maybe, F&LILV???
But the biggest drawback to me was that they (we) never got INTO a book. It was all on the surface. So I missed a discussion here and there and finally quit going.
In ONBC I've found the book club I was looking for. The fact that you can think about the discussion, join in on your own time add to the appeal. And ONBC-ers' insight and opinions are amazing. Another plus -- Even before I started posting I felt a part of it.
bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:24 pm

Still-Rather-Timid wrote:
CarrieKY wrote:I belonged to a book club that was started at the hospital where I work. Sadly, as now, I am a horrible book club member - I always buy the book, start the book, but...never finish the assigned book. Do you think it's my lack of self control, or that I hate deadlines?

I'm sitting here looking at my crammed bookshelves that include - Shantaram, F&LILV, A Long Way Down.... :-O ...collecting dust. I do love to read, but I guess on my own schedule.


Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates is still sitting on my nightstand, with a bookmark stuck in it about a quarter of the way through. And Shantaram is. . . well, Shantaram is somewhere in this house, probably in a book shelf, to be rediscovered later.


Good intentions and all? That is the great thing about books though...they sit, patiently, minding their own business, waiting for you to come back and discover them, which you will eventually do...

Sorry, Liz... did you say CURRY or were you just mumbling??? I really can't hear you little girl.
:grin:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:29 pm

bluebird wrote:I used to belong to the book discussion group at our library. We took turns suggesting a book, then the month of the discussion the suggester had to give some background on the author and the book. I enjoyed it, lovely women, diverse in ages (several from the nearby retirement village). I read several books that I never would have read and I enjoyed them.
Most of the books discussed were predictable. As Glendaleigh said, Oprah and best sellers. Must admit I've thought about joining again just to suggest and lead a discussion on Shantaram!!!! Or, maybe, F&LILV???
But the biggest drawback to me was that they (we) never got INTO a book. It was all on the surface. So I missed a discussion here and there and finally quit going.
In ONBC I've found the book club I was looking for. The fact that you can think about the discussion, join in on your own time add to the appeal. And ONBC-ers' insight and opinions are amazing. Another plus -- Even before I started posting I felt a part of it.
bluebird


bluebird, I think we posted at the same time there.

I think there are a couple of advantages to our book club. We all have at least one similar interest :blush: and we have the added benefit of being able to stretch our discussion over a long period of time instead of one meeting. By the way...we are glad you started posting! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!


Return to “The Monday Night Thread”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest