Monday Night Thread - 5 Lists of 5

Moderator: Liz

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:23 pm

fansmom wrote: I asked why, and she said because she thinks of them long after reading them. Good reason (and it makes me feel guilty for including the Stephanie Plum books on my list!).

Guilty about enjoying a book? We all have to indulge in some books just because they are fun and make us laugh, right? I LOVE the Stephanie Plum books!! Guilty pleasures are the best! :capnjack:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:36 pm

luvdepp wrote:Guilty about enjoying a book? We all have to indulge in some books just because they are fun and make us laugh, right? I LOVE the Stephanie Plum books!! Guilty pleasures are the best! :capnjack:
I recently read that Reese Witherspoon is being considered for the role of Stephanie. I know she's good, but that just seems wrong to me.

Mrs Pink

Unread postby Mrs Pink » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:46 pm

TOP 5 FAVOURITE DEPP MOVIES :
Dead Man
The Brave
Arizona Dreaming
Donnie Brasco
Fear and Loathing in Las Vega

TOP 5 FAVOURITE NOVELS
I can't narrow it down

TOP 5 FAVOURITE PLACES :
Edinburgh, Scotland
Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
Porto Bunus, Spain
Beijing, China
Chania, Crete

TOP 5 FAVOURITE SONGS:
U2 - Stuck in the moment
u2 - One
Bruce Springsteen - The River
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Under the Bridge
Smashing Pupkins - Adore
TOP 5 FAVOURITE FOODS :
Deep fried shredded beef (with pockets)
Liver and onions
Meat and potatoe soup
Beef with peppers in black bean sauce
Prawns - anything and prawns
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed - Hunter S Thompson

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:51 pm

fansmom wrote:
lumineuse wrote:Broken Prey - that sounds intersting, fansmom. I see you picked Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - that one almost made my list.

Broken Prey is actually a detective novel, lumineuse, and part of Sandford's "Prey" series featuring Lucas Davenport. Sandford is a pseudonym, and the author is actually a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist whom I've heard speak a few times.

Well, I just ordered Broken Prey from Amazon - and for anyone else who is interested, the have several new hardcopies available from their sellers for as low as $1.04!
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:52 pm

fansmom wrote:
luvdepp wrote:Guilty about enjoying a book? We all have to indulge in some books just because they are fun and make us laugh, right? I LOVE the Stephanie Plum books!! Guilty pleasures are the best! :capnjack:
I recently read that Reese Witherspoon is being considered for the role of Stephanie. I know she's good, but that just seems wrong to me.

Seems a little off to me too. And what about casting Ranger and Moreno??? I'd love to be in on those discussions!
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:04 pm

DeppGurl16, thanks for reminding me of Peter S. Beagle! I haven't read Tamsin (yes, it's now on the list!), but A Fine and Private Place is definitly in my top 10. The Last Unicorn is also an all time favorite. ***Goes off and starts another list: Books to Reread. Sigh!***
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:15 pm

Tha Last Unicorn! How could I forget that? I love that book!!
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:52 pm

lumineuse wrote:
CarrieKY wrote:
lumineuse wrote:
CarrieKY wrote:
KYwoman wrote:
lumineuse wrote:
YellowRose wrote:
I don't recommend this drink unless you want to wake up with a roaring hangover!
But they're fun so here goes...

Tequila Slammer
Fill a double jigger half full of tequila (I use Sauza Commemorativo)
Top off with cold 7-up
(This next bit takes both hands)...
Place a cork coaster tight on top of the shot glass, invert it, slam it on your knee,
turn it right-side up & suck down the fizz.
Repeat :capnjack:

:yuck2:
And ya'll were making fun of Charlotte and me for eating chicken livers!!

:rotflmao: Can you imagine washing down a plate of fried chicken livers with tequila
slammers!! :yuck2: :hypnotic: I double dare someone..... :mwahaha:

Yee Haw...a Red Neck Flambay

:rotflmao: You best just shut yo mouth!! I double-dog dare you - and I'll throw in collard greens to boot! I am, acourse, assumin' that the KY in your screen name means sumpin!

'Course it does! We don't eat "greens" in these here parts, but we like our goetta and eggs, goetta with sugar/maple syrup, or just fried goetta. Yummmmmm.

We have our own kind of chili here, too. It's called a Three-way. You got your spaghetti, topped with chili made with many spices (including cinnamon and ginger) then all that is smothered with shredded cheese. It's called Cincinnati Chili.

I am now compelled to repeat myself: ":yuck2: And ya'll picked on Charlotte and me for eating chicken livers?"

(I see that Charlotte has finally checked in again, has seen how you were dissing her livers, and hopefully is coming up with a plot to set you straight).

But - I have to bite - what in "Sam Hill" is goetta?? (Please don't make me sorry I asked!)

Dems fightin' words...I'll see yer livers, collard greens, goetta (!), and Cincy Chili (Skyline) and raise ya cheese grits, chicken fried steak and moon pies! lol
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

ThirdArm

Unread postby ThirdArm » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:25 pm

We can't forget black-eyed peas and cornbread to go with all of the above; not to mention fried catfish. (I wasn't raised in Alabama for nothing.)

I also notice that Mrs Pink has indicated a love of liver and onions, too. So there.
~No doubt the years have changed me.~

DeppGurl16

Unread postby DeppGurl16 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:01 pm

Bix wrote:DeppGurl16, thanks for reminding me of Peter S. Beagle! I haven't read Tamsin (yes, it's now on the list!), but A Fine and Private Place is definitly in my top 10. The Last Unicorn is also an all time favorite. ***Goes off and starts another list: Books to Reread. Sigh!***

Oh, You're welcome. YES I LOVE The Last Unicorn. It was one of the first books I read when I learned how to read "Chapter" Books. I read it around 6 years old. Tamsin is so GREAT! I love that book so much. Beautiful story. If you love The Last Unicorn you'll love Tamsin.

AMAZON.com summary:Peter S. Beagle creates magic in this coming-of-age ghost story, returning to a subgenre he first explored in A Fine and Private Place. When her mother remarries, 13-year-old narrator Jenny Gluckstein moves from New York City to a run-down, haunted, 300-year-old farm in Dorset, England. In slow-moving early chapters, unhappy Jenny's beloved Mister Cat is quarantined for six months and she must attend an English girl's school. Jenny's voice is painfully genuine, her self-description merciless. If early adolescence brings on flashbacks, wait to read this book.
The pace picks up when Mister Cat returns and Jenny meets Meena Chari, whose belief in the supernatural comes from growing up in ghost-ridden India. First Mister Cat finds a new girlfriend, a ghostly Persian Cat only he and Jenny can see. Then she and her younger stepbrother, Julian, confront a boggart who's been playing tricks on the family. The gnome-like boggart is dressed in a Seven Dwarves hat, Robin Hood garb, "and heavy little boots, ankle-high--I'd have taken them for Doc Martens, except I don't think they make them in boggart sizes." The boggart warns her to beware of the ghost cat, her mistress, and "the Other One" most of all. But one afternoon she follows Mister Cat to meet Tamsin Willoughby, ghost of the farm-founder's daughter. Tamsin is friendly, but won't tell Jenny anything about the Other One, or talk about Edric, apparently her lost love. To free Tamsin's ghost, Jenny must relive the tragic history of 17th-century Dorset and face grave danger.

Tamsin is vintage Beagle: there's a shape-shifting Pooka, a ghostly love story, music, the Goddess, and the Wild Hunt. It's beautifully written and can be read on several levels, including as a loving homage to Thomas Hardy's moody novels (Tess of the d'Urbervilles and Far from the Madding Crowd) and poetry (Selected Poems). Or you can lose yourself in the story. Fans of The Last Unicorn will enjoy this one. --Nona Vero --This text refers to the

beverlyclassic

Unread postby beverlyclassic » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:02 pm

Sorry, this is going to be long, but I am physically incapable of just writing lists - I'm a noodler, so here goes, hope it works, sorry about it's length:

Johnny Depp movies - Dead Man, Blow, Fear & Lothing in Las Vegas, Edward Scissorhands and (here comes the sticky part) Benny & Joon, or What's Eating Gilbert Grape or Secret Window. I'm going to say Secret Window. I also really like Once Upon A Time in Mexico - but only the Johnny scenes - the rest of the movie is too ridiculous to sit through - just fast forward to Agent Sand's scenes and you'll be okay. Edward Scissorhands nearly choked me to death. I cried so hard . . . and so long . . that Don feared for me. Just listening to the soundtrack sends me into another head trip. (That's also when I became enamoured of Danny Elfman's music.) Anyway, Dead Man struck such a huge chord in me. I watched it so many times (in slo-mo, for heaven's sake). When he stabs the trading store guy's hand to the counter and pulls out his gun . . . holy moly, I had to watch that in slow motion several times, 'cause Johnny's movements were so sure, so graceful and he so totally meant it). Anyway, finally Don said he wanted to watch it, 'cause I was so obviously smitten with this movie. So he watched it, and started out complaining about the slow pace, black & white, heavy background music, etc. Whatever. Then, about 1/3 of the way through it, Don got sucked in, too. He loved it. He became a hard-core admirer of JD from that movie. Then, he started watching all Johnny's movies with me. (Which kind of sucks, 'cause there are times when you have to watch a Johnny Depp movie, alone (thank you very much, knew you'd understand). Oh shoot, I forgot Pirates of the Carribean. Good for you, Johnny, but I'll still take Dead Man or Edward Scissorhands, first.

Novels: To Kill a Mockingbird, Shantaram, Gone With The Wind, Little Women, Shogun. Or anything by Amy Tan. Or Jan Karon. Or Mark Twain. Or, of course, anything Hunter S Thompson.

Places: The woods, the desert, the mountains, the ocean, or home.

Songs: Sweet Baby James, Songs to Aging Children, Baba O'Riley, Fever, The Solid Rock. I also like just about everything The Beatles ever did and Glen Miller and Mozart and Bing Crosby and, and, and.

Food: Raisins (I know, I know), trout almandine, popcorn, cheese and um . . . salad (but only if it's topped with the house dressing from Soulards - a fabulous restaurant in St Louis that makes the best - ever - salad dressing.) Or, meat, vegetables, fruits, grains and dairy products - what can I say, I'm easy.

Of course, all this could change tomorrow - shifting and making room for movies, books, songs and food that I haven't seen, read, heard or eaten yet. But the places thing, I doubt if that ever changes.
DEPP: Frequent flipping. You have to even it out on both sides. And don't use a high flame. Take your time. You need patience with bacon. You have to maintain a calm attitude with pork.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:14 pm

Beverlyclassic, thanks for the different take on lists. It's good to be different. ;-)
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

beverlyclassic

Unread postby beverlyclassic » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:17 pm

Liz - thank YOU for making me feel like . . . not such a nut, after all. Or maybe I am, and ya'll are just real accepting.

Someday, I'd like to learn how to post a picture of JD, in the inspiration thread, or when I'm trying to illustrate a point. I'm not sure I know how, but I'll keep trying.

Anyway, thanks.
DEPP: Frequent flipping. You have to even it out on both sides. And don't use a high flame. Take your time. You need patience with bacon. You have to maintain a calm attitude with pork.

CarrieKY

Unread postby CarrieKY » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:13 am

beverlyclassic wrote:Liz - thank YOU for making me feel like . . . not such a nut, after all. Or maybe I am, and ya'll are just real accepting.

Someday, I'd like to learn how to post a picture of JD, in the inspiration thread, or when I'm trying to illustrate a point. I'm not sure I know how, but I'll keep trying.

Anyway, thanks.

It's really easy to post pictures - the secret :shhh: is having a Photobucket account.

http://www.photobucket.com

Then anytime you see a picture of Johnny that you just have to have...right click on it....choose "Save picture as:"......click on "My documents" ....then choose "My Pictures". Make sure you name it something you can remember - like: handscement05 ...then make sure it has a .jpg as it's type. Click save and you're done there. NOW....go to your Photobucket.com account. At the top where it says ADD PICTURES is where you start. Click on "browse." It should take you to where you've stored your pictures in your computer. Click on the name of the picture - and the name will fill into the box. Choose submit and you've got a picture in your photobucket account.

Now....when you want to post a picture - you go to photobucket, choose which picture you want, highlight the IMG name (first right click on the picture - check the properties to make sure it's less than the 800 x 600 board limits) right click and choose COPY. Now come back here to the Zone and in your message box, right click and choose PASTE - and it should look like this:

[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/CarrieKY/thEP01.jpg[img]

Choose submit and you have just uploaded your first JD pic.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:05 pm

Depplysmitten..I read the Alison Weir book about Elizabeth 1 too...Are you a Renaissance fan ?I've always thought of Johnny as the quintessential Renaissance man for our times..Roll on TL :cool:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”