Monday Night Thread - 5 Lists of 5

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:44 am

lumineuse wrote:
nebraska wrote:I smiled when someone mentioned Little Women. I have fond memories of reading that as a girl.

I have heard wonderful things about the Lovely Bones......guess I need to add it to my stack!

Speaking of additions, for music, today I was thinking about Love Shack! What an absolutely feel good piece of music!

The Lovely Bones has been on my book shelf for a while, waiting for me to get to it. Good to know how well it is liked by my fellow ONBCers.

Nebraska - the second I read your mention of Love Shack, another great dance song popped into my head - Brick House!

I liked The Lovely Bones and Love Shack too.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:46 am

myfave wrote:
lumineuse wrote:
CharlotteinCA wrote:3. Chicken Livers done with red wine and heavy cream (please do not throw things at me. Livers can be really good.)

I'm not throwing anything. I love chicken livers - how 'bout that recipe?

:yuck:

I concur, Myfave. And welcome to ONBC. :wave:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:58 am

But at least there's no CURRY in them!! :grin:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

YellowRose

Unread postby YellowRose » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:05 pm

I've really enjoyed reading this thread & I've decided to throw my hat in the ring. :disco:

Depp Movies
Dead Man
Sleepy Hollow
Secret Window
Fear & Loathing
Finding Neverland

Novels
The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant
Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
The Pact by Jodi Picoult

Places
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Bahamas (Nassau/Paradise Island)
Jamaica (Ocho Rios & Negril)
Turks & Caicos (Providenciales)
Chaise lounge in my backyard

Places I'd Like To Go
Venice
London
Tahiti
Alaska
Lake Louise in Banff National Park - Alberta, Canada

Songs
Slow Ride - Foghat
Poison - Alice Cooper
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Hard To Handle - Black Crowes
Cold Hard B*tch - Jet

Foods
Quiche Lorraine
Fajitas (steak, shrimp & chicken)
Moo Shu Pork w/ fried rice & eggrolls
Grilled NY Strip w/ cheddar bacon potato skins
Loaded thin crust pizza (no anchovies)

Drinks
Chardonnay
Merlot
Margarita
Manhattan
Diet Coke
"A great friend, a beautiful man, a kind person and one of
the best actors we have in the whole world." ~John Waters on JD

cait

Unread postby cait » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:42 pm

Liz wrote:
lumineuse wrote:
nebraska wrote:I smiled when someone mentioned Little Women. I have fond memories of reading that as a girl.

I have heard wonderful things about the Lovely Bones......guess I need to add it to my stack!

Speaking of additions, for music, today I was thinking about Love Shack! What an absolutely feel good piece of music!

The Lovely Bones has been on my book shelf for a while, waiting for me to get to it. Good to know how well it is liked by my fellow ONBCers.

Nebraska - the second I read your mention of Love Shack, another great dance song popped into my head - Brick House!

I liked The Lovely Bones and Love Shack too.

I read The Lovely Bones and liked it. I didn't like it as much as I expected but that was probably because so many people I knew had read it and hyped it up too much. Still a very good novel though!
Dirt...this is a jar of dirt.

cait

Unread postby cait » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:43 pm

Still-Rather-Timid wrote:
cait wrote:My 5's

Books (I cheated, there's 6)
Pride & Prejudice
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Chronicles of Narnia (especially The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe)
Little Women
Harry Potter series
Something Borrowed (fluff reading but it was a fun read!)

cait, I was happy to see a couple of people mention Little Women. That was my 6th book. I loved it when I was 12, and there are still chapters that, almost 40 years later, I still love to read again and again, and lines I can still quote.

There's parts in Little Women that make me cry no matter how many times I read them. That's a sign of a good book, in my opinion. :cool:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:44 pm

Hey, YellowRose, glad you dropped by! :wave: I think you and I should go out to eat together! Maybe it's just a Texas thang... ;-)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

YellowRose

Unread postby YellowRose » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:50 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Hey, YellowRose, glad you dropped by! :wave: I think you and I should go out to eat together! Maybe it's just a Texas thang... ;-)

Sounds good DITHOT!
Fajitas & Margaritas all around! :cool:

cait

Unread postby cait » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:01 pm

Another good book popped into my head. Don't know how I could forget Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier. :heart2:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:31 pm

YellowRose wrote:Jamaica (Ocho Rios & Negril)

Hello, YellowRose. :wave: Another person for Jamaica. :applause: And I love quite a few tracks on The Wall.

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:39 pm

So next week's thread is 31 songs. Well, I've been working on it and so far I've gotten it down to 131 songs. I am having a very hard time narrowing it down. I may have to limit myself to 1 or 2 songs from each band or something or else it will prove impossible. :banghead:

I wanted to add that I love Jamaica too. :cloud9:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:02 pm

QueenofKings wrote:So next week's thread is 31 songs. Well, I've been working on it and so far I've gotten it down to 131 songs. I am having a very hard time narrowing it down. I may have to limit myself to 1 or 2 songs from each band or something or else it will prove impossible. :banghead:

I wanted to add that I love Jamaica too. :cloud9:

I'm having the same problem QoK. Can we pick 131 bands! :bounce: I may use your theory and narrow it down to one or two songs per band to represent more...Too hard to choose! And I thought 131 would be easier! :banghead:

Wow! What a ride!

YellowRose

Unread postby YellowRose » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:09 pm

Liz wrote:

Hello, YellowRose. :wave: Another person for Jamaica. :applause: And I love quite a few tracks on The Wall.

Hey Liz,
DH & I love Jamaica! :disco:
We've been 3 times & will definitely go back (but not during hurricane season). :-/

I actually had an out-of-body experience one time while listening to Comfortably Numb.
It may have had something to do with the tequila slammers I was imbibing. :shhh:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:15 pm

YellowRose wrote:
Liz wrote:

Hey Liz,
DH & I love Jamaica! :disco:
We've been 3 times & will definitely go back (but not during hurricane season). :-/

I actually had an out-of-body experience one time while listening to Comfortably Numb.
It may have had something to do with the tequila slammers I was imbibing. :shhh:

3 times! Wow! We've stayed in 3 different places, but not gone 3 different times. Only once. :-/

I notice you didn't list "tequila slammers" on your list of drinks. What are they?

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:18 pm

YellowRose wrote: I actually had an out-of-body experience one time while listening to Comfortably Numb.

Oh, did you go to the Pink Floyd shows at Nassau Coliseum and in LA where they performed The Wall too? Those were some of the best live shows I ever saw.

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”