Monday Night Thread - 5 Lists of 5

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:44 am

lumineuse wrote:
nebraska wrote:I smiled when someone mentioned Little Women. I have fond memories of reading that as a girl.


I have heard wonderful things about the Lovely Bones......guess I need to add it to my stack!

Speaking of additions, for music, today I was thinking about Love Shack! What an absolutely feel good piece of music!


The Lovely Bones has been on my book shelf for a while, waiting for me to get to it. Good to know how well it is liked by my fellow ONBCers.

Nebraska - the second I read your mention of Love Shack, another great dance song popped into my head - Brick House!


I liked The Lovely Bones and Love Shack too.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:46 am

myfave wrote:
lumineuse wrote:
CharlotteinCA wrote:3. Chicken Livers done with red wine and heavy cream (please do not throw things at me. Livers can be really good.)


I'm not throwing anything. I love chicken livers - how 'bout that recipe?


:yuck:


I concur, Myfave. And welcome to ONBC. :wave:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:58 am

But at least there's no CURRY in them!! :grin:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
YellowRose
Posts: 2197
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:23 pm
Location: Texas

Status: Offline

Unread postby YellowRose » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:05 pm

I've really enjoyed reading this thread & I've decided to throw my hat in the ring. :disco:

Depp Movies
Dead Man
Sleepy Hollow
Secret Window
Fear & Loathing
Finding Neverland

Novels
The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant
Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
The Pact by Jodi Picoult

Places
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Bahamas (Nassau/Paradise Island)
Jamaica (Ocho Rios & Negril)
Turks & Caicos (Providenciales)
Chaise lounge in my backyard

Places I'd Like To Go
Venice
London
Tahiti
Alaska
Lake Louise in Banff National Park - Alberta, Canada

Songs
Slow Ride - Foghat
Poison - Alice Cooper
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Hard To Handle - Black Crowes
Cold Hard B*tch - Jet

Foods
Quiche Lorraine
Fajitas (steak, shrimp & chicken)
Moo Shu Pork w/ fried rice & eggrolls
Grilled NY Strip w/ cheddar bacon potato skins
Loaded thin crust pizza (no anchovies)

Drinks
Chardonnay
Merlot
Margarita
Manhattan
Diet Coke
"A great friend, a beautiful man, a kind person and one of
the best actors we have in the whole world." ~John Waters on JD

User avatar
cait
Posts: 7521
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: NB, Canada

Status: Offline

Unread postby cait » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:42 pm

Liz wrote:
lumineuse wrote:
nebraska wrote:I smiled when someone mentioned Little Women. I have fond memories of reading that as a girl.


I have heard wonderful things about the Lovely Bones......guess I need to add it to my stack!

Speaking of additions, for music, today I was thinking about Love Shack! What an absolutely feel good piece of music!


The Lovely Bones has been on my book shelf for a while, waiting for me to get to it. Good to know how well it is liked by my fellow ONBCers.

Nebraska - the second I read your mention of Love Shack, another great dance song popped into my head - Brick House!


I liked The Lovely Bones and Love Shack too.


I read The Lovely Bones and liked it. I didn't like it as much as I expected but that was probably because so many people I knew had read it and hyped it up too much. Still a very good novel though!
Dirt...this is a jar of dirt.

User avatar
cait
Posts: 7521
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: NB, Canada

Status: Offline

Unread postby cait » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:43 pm

Still-Rather-Timid wrote:
cait wrote:My 5's

Books (I cheated, there's 6)
Pride & Prejudice
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Chronicles of Narnia (especially The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe)
Little Women
Harry Potter series
Something Borrowed (fluff reading but it was a fun read!)



cait, I was happy to see a couple of people mention Little Women. That was my 6th book. I loved it when I was 12, and there are still chapters that, almost 40 years later, I still love to read again and again, and lines I can still quote.


There's parts in Little Women that make me cry no matter how many times I read them. That's a sign of a good book, in my opinion. :cool:
Dirt...this is a jar of dirt.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:44 pm

Hey, YellowRose, glad you dropped by! :wave: I think you and I should go out to eat together! Maybe it's just a Texas thang... ;-)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
YellowRose
Posts: 2197
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:23 pm
Location: Texas

Status: Offline

Unread postby YellowRose » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:50 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Hey, YellowRose, glad you dropped by! :wave: I think you and I should go out to eat together! Maybe it's just a Texas thang... ;-)


Sounds good DITHOT!
Fajitas & Margaritas all around! :cool:
"A great friend, a beautiful man, a kind person and one of

the best actors we have in the whole world." ~John Waters on JD

User avatar
cait
Posts: 7521
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: NB, Canada

Status: Offline

Unread postby cait » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:01 pm

Another good book popped into my head. Don't know how I could forget Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier. :heart2:
Dirt...this is a jar of dirt.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:31 pm

YellowRose wrote:Jamaica (Ocho Rios & Negril)
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd


Hello, YellowRose. :wave: Another person for Jamaica. :applause: And I love quite a few tracks on The Wall.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
QueenofKings
Posts: 7732
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:36 pm
Location: Edge City On the Road

Status: Offline

Unread postby QueenofKings » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:39 pm

So next week's thread is 31 songs. Well, I've been working on it and so far I've gotten it down to 131 songs. I am having a very hard time narrowing it down. I may have to limit myself to 1 or 2 songs from each band or something or else it will prove impossible. :banghead:

I wanted to add that I love Jamaica too. :cloud9:

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:02 pm

QueenofKings wrote:So next week's thread is 31 songs. Well, I've been working on it and so far I've gotten it down to 131 songs. I am having a very hard time narrowing it down. I may have to limit myself to 1 or 2 songs from each band or something or else it will prove impossible. :banghead:

I wanted to add that I love Jamaica too. :cloud9:


I'm having the same problem QoK. Can we pick 131 bands! :bounce: I may use your theory and narrow it down to one or two songs per band to represent more...Too hard to choose! And I thought 131 would be easier! :banghead:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
YellowRose
Posts: 2197
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:23 pm
Location: Texas

Status: Offline

Unread postby YellowRose » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:09 pm

Liz wrote:
YellowRose wrote:Jamaica (Ocho Rios & Negril)
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd


Hello, YellowRose. :wave: Another person for Jamaica. :applause: And I love quite a few tracks on The Wall.

Hey Liz,
DH & I love Jamaica! :disco:
We've been 3 times & will definitely go back (but not during hurricane season). :-/

I actually had an out-of-body experience one time while listening to Comfortably Numb.
It may have had something to do with the tequila slammers I was imbibing. :shhh:
"A great friend, a beautiful man, a kind person and one of

the best actors we have in the whole world." ~John Waters on JD

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:15 pm

YellowRose wrote:
Liz wrote:
YellowRose wrote:Jamaica (Ocho Rios & Negril)
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd


Hello, YellowRose. :wave: Another person for Jamaica. :applause: And I love quite a few tracks on The Wall.

Hey Liz,
DH & I love Jamaica! :disco:
We've been 3 times & will definitely go back (but not during hurricane season). :-/

I actually had an out-of-body experience one time while listening to Comfortably Numb.
It may have had something to do with the tequila slammers I was imbibing. :shhh:


3 times! Wow! We've stayed in 3 different places, but not gone 3 different times. Only once. :-/

I notice you didn't list "tequila slammers" on your list of drinks. What are they?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
QueenofKings
Posts: 7732
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:36 pm
Location: Edge City On the Road

Status: Offline

Unread postby QueenofKings » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:18 pm

YellowRose wrote: I actually had an out-of-body experience one time while listening to Comfortably Numb.
It may have had something to do with the tequila slammers I was imbibing. :shhh:


Oh, did you go to the Pink Floyd shows at Nassau Coliseum and in LA where they performed The Wall too? Those were some of the best live shows I ever saw.


Return to “The Monday Night Thread”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest