Sunday Night Thread ~ The Way Back Machine

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:59 pm

Raven wrote:
Liz wrote:And I would like to visit London in 1966 or 67, the Haight-Ashbury in '67and '68, and revisit where I was in 1973, 1977, 1979, 1984 and 1985.

would you like to share why?

just being nosy.

I don't mind as long as we ask the other Noodlemantra who listed years--QofK. :lol:

1973--graduated from high school, went away to college--very fun. One of the best years of my life. Of course, my grades weren't too good.

1977--graduated from college, met DH. Need I say more?

1979--lived in Berkeley (hated to leave) and married DH.

1984 & 85 -- loved the music, my career, my relationships, had confidence. Life was exciting and stimulating--very similar to now.

Forgot a couple of other years -- 1989, when my son was born and 1994, when my daughter was born. So basically, these were the best years of my life.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:06 pm

Raven wrote:Hey, wasn't there a segment of Sherman and Mr Peabody called Fractured Fairy Tales? I always liked that title!
ohhh that was a good cartoon too.

Yes, Bullwinkle also had Fractured Fairy Tales narrated by the oh so veddy British Edward Everett Horton and also Dudley Dooright and the lovely Nell and the evil Boris and Natasha. And I'm trying to remember if Manfred the Mighty Wonder Dog was part of Bullwinkle also? Wow! I do miss Bullwinkle.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

CarrieKY

Unread postby CarrieKY » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:13 pm

As long as we're picking particular events, I'd love to visit Liverpool when The Beatles were beginning, The Ed Sullivan show with The Beatles first US TV appearance, and be able to see John Lennon perform Imagine live.

I'd love to have been in Washington when JFK gave his inaugural address..."ask not....," at my parents wedding, at my father's return from WWII.....I could go on forever.

EDIT: Duh...in Hunter's basement with Johnny...my siggie!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:17 pm

Bix wrote: the evil Boris and Natasha.

I once spent an entire weekend in college, on a camping trip, where we talked like Boris and Natasha. :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Still-Rather-Timid

Unread postby Still-Rather-Timid » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:26 pm

I think the Manfred cartoon was a segment on Captain Kangaroo. I'd almost forgotten about Sherman and Mr. Peabody, but seeing them again somehow also reminded me of Clyde Crashcup, who was on the Alvin and the Chipmunks show. Right now I'm thinking that I'd like to go back to a Saturday morning in the early 60s, so I could sit there in my pajamas and watch those TV shows!

I often have a dream that I am back in college, getting one last chance to spend a year in that delicious time and atmosphere: Massachusetts in the mid-1970s, at my all-women's college, where I voted in my first presidential election, and where we were still heady with the promise of equality and the privilege of voting at 18. I think I could still feel the wave back then, and I didn't appreciate those days enough when I had them.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:31 pm

Still-Rather-Timid wrote:I think the Manfred cartoon was a segment on Captain Kangaroo. I'd almost forgotten about Sherman and Mr. Peabody, but seeing them again somehow also reminded me of Clyde Crashcup, who was on the Alvin and the Chipmunks show. Right now I'm thinking that I'd like to go back to a Saturday morning in the early 60s, so I could sit there in my pajamas and watch those TV shows!

I often have a dream that I am back in college, getting one last chance to spend a year in that delicious time and atmosphere: Massachusetts in the mid-1970s, at my all-women's college, where I voted in my first presidential election, and where we were still heady with the promise of equality and the privilege of voting at 18. I think I could still feel the wave back then, and I didn't appreciate those days enough when I had them.

Ain't it the truth srt. The days in jammies in front of he TV with Captain Kangaroo and the days in college when the Wave was a reality. This discussion has made the Wave a reality for me again.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Still-Rather-Timid

Unread postby Still-Rather-Timid » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:32 pm

Update: I just googled. Manfred was the sidekick of Tom Terrific, the main character on a cartoon segment shown during the Captain Kangaroo show.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:33 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: I once spent an entire weekend in college, on a camping trip, where we talked like Boris and Natasha. :lol:

:biglaugh:
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:36 pm

Still-Rather-Timid wrote:Update: I just googled. Manfred was the sidekick of Tom Terrific, the main character on a cartoon segment shown during the Captain Kangaroo show.

OMG, yes, how could I forget Tom Terrific! Old age, I guess! I can almost remember the words to the theme song. . . but it's been too long.

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:41 am

for all those ladies wishing for saturday am cartoons of the sixties - would you be eating capt crunch, alphabits or count chocula straight from the box - wow can I hear my mother warning us to keep the crumbs off the carpet / sofa AND share with your brothers and sisters!!! - ah saturday morning in my jammies -

when would I like to go and where - well there are two times and places I would go - the Holy Land during Jesus' life - I'd like to think I'd have been courageous enough to host a house church - the thought of hearing Christ teach is almost beyond imagining -

closer to 'home' I'd like to have been in England post WW1 and of course have money - I've been rewatching Brideshead Revisited and what a time it was - the class system teetering on the brink - reevaluating England's place in the world - C.S. Lewis & Tolkien coming back from war to their pens - it seems an odd time to want to be somewhere - post war that is - but there seems to have been one last gasp of romanticism in England before the end of the England we think of from literary classics -

great topic - wonderful answers - wish my university applications had interesting essay topics like this :eyebrow:
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

DepplySmitten

Unread postby DepplySmitten » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:20 am

Oh my goodness that's Sherman and Peabody!! :lol: Soooo long ago! I haven't thought about that show for ages!

I think I need to think about the your question a little longer. I loved the twenties....and I'm a history buff and I kind of like to romanticize about history. Even though I have read many history related books and I know how things were for women, (not to mention for humans :yikes: ) I still like to fantasize about the dresses and the honor of say......the 16th and 17th Centuries! :blush:

I'll be back when I have an answer! :eyebrow: Great question!

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:38 am

Bix wrote:Were Mr. Peabody and Sherman a segment on Bullwinkle? God, I wish they'd bring back Bullwinkle. I think it would still be funny and satirical today, it was so well done.

I think we talked about this in another thread with regards to where we could see Johnny going back to in the past, and many of us chose Paris in the 20's. And I think I have to choose that for myself, too. Rainey, I love the flapper look too and the cloche hats and T-strap shoes. And of course, I'm also factoring in that I would have been a part of the ex-patriot scene, going to all the fabulous salons and meeting Gertrude and Alice B. and Picasso and Daighilev and Nijinski and Cocteau and Erik Satie and Stravinsky and Hemingway and James Baldwin and Josephine Baker - and, of course, Gerald and Sara Murphey and Scott and Zelda. Sigh!

Liz, Bix, 101, Rainey... shall we rendezvous at Aux Deux Magots for Pastis?
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Rainey

Unread postby Rainey » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:56 am

dharma_bum wrote: Liz, Bix, 101, Rainey... shall we rendezvous at Aux Deux Magots for Pastis?

:lol: I have no idea what that means, but sure!
It's beauty that captures your attention; personality which captures your heart.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:52 am

Interesting choices. If I could go back in time yes I too would want to visit the 17th Century. I have always had a real interest in the period, but I am sure the modern person in me would find it very difficult for the lack of what we now consider the basic necessities. It would also be extremley smelly.
A much simpler time would be during the Anglo Saxon period the Dark Ages.
Spending time with the Plains Indians, now that would be an experience or any of the Native Americans before the White Man came.
specific time though would have to be something like Woodstock or even being a Brit the Isle of Wight Festival. I would be happy to have been able to go to any of the big festival events during the 70's like Led Zepplin or the Rolling Stones at Knebworth.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:14 am

Yes, the American Indians before the whites came and destroyed their way of life! That would be a good place to visit, although I think a woman's life was rather difficult.

I am afraid I don't have much imagination where this question is concerned. I often wish I had some of the life my mother had -- in the 40s and 50s life was more settled, she didn't have as much freedom and choice as I have now, but she had the security of knowing what was expected. There were some "absolutes" in life, and although they were somewhat limiting, they also gave comfort and peace.

Another time? Maybe the early to mid 60s when I made a lot of important life choices before I was really equipped to make them. Wouldn't mind starting over if I could make the most of another chance.

Can you tell I am feeling over tired and overwhelmed these days? Have missed most of the F&L discussion and I hate that.

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”