Sunday Night Thread ~ The Way Back Machine

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
CarrieKY
Posts: 2424
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:00 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky ~ Cincinnati

Status: Offline

Unread postby CarrieKY » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:36 pm

I have always loved the 40's, but wouldn't want to live in any other time than now. We've come a long way baby! When I think back at how we nurses had to address the Dr's. **shudder** Now they address us with that quaking voice...:lol:...little squirts.


And....for the first time female residents (interns) are outnumbering male...OH YEAH! :highfive:

User avatar
QueenofKings
Posts: 7732
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:36 pm
Location: Edge City On the Road

Status: Offline

Unread postby QueenofKings » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:46 pm

Although right now has been pretty interesting, especially lately, I think Atlantis was really beautiful before the earth changes made it necessary for us to leave. Really cool clothing, music, art, scientific exploration and kind people.

There are certain days when I wake up and then I find myself missing 1973 or 1976 or 1978 or 1981. Other days I wish they had never happened.

There are a lot of times and places I would have liked to have witnessed. The Holy Land in Jesus' time. I would have loved to have been around to hang out with Tom Verlaine and Arthur Rimbaud. I would love to have posed for Modigliani. I had a Mayan life that was really cool, but violent, and I was a man. Would not have wished that life on a woman. I would have liked to hang out with Frida Kahlo.

I think the future is going to be cool. I'm looking forward to it.

User avatar
KYwoman
Posts: 5958
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:26 pm
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Status: Offline

Unread postby KYwoman » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:03 pm

When I would read of Johnny's fascination with going back to Paris 1920s, I would try to think of a time I'd want to go back to and quite frankly, like some of you have already said, going back as a woman would not be particularly great. Maybe Paris in the 20s would be okay, especially if you could mingle in the salons of the time, but the realist in me speaks up and I think about the position women were in at the time and so it's appeal is lost on me.

Now, there are places/moments in history I would have liked to have been just for the experience of being at a historic moment, like the night the Beatles (with Ringo) played for the first time on stage together; Woodstock (maybe? :lol: ); Hunter's ashes blast off; women marching in DC for the right to vote; etc. etc.( I have to think of more). There are also people in history I'd like to meet and interview, but in the here and now, where it's a little more comfy.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:12 pm

I like the way you think, KY. There are some events I would like to have witnessed first hand. One of them would be the POTC premiere at Disney. Woodstock would be another. I would have liked to have been in Berkeley to watch Mario Savio in action, too. And, of course, Hunter's blastoff would have been a must see. I'm assuming that the Way Back Machine would take us home again when we were ready because I think I must agree that there is no place like home.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1504
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:47 am
Location: This is Bat Country!
Contact:

Status: Offline

Unread postby Raven » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:17 pm

Liz wrote:I like the way you think, KY. There are some events I would like to have witnessed first hand. One of them would be the POTC premiere at Disney. Woodstock would be another. I would have liked to have been in Berkeley to watch Mario Savio in action, too. And, of course, Hunter's blastoff would have been a must see. I'm assuming that the Way Back Machine would take us home again when we were ready because I think I must agree that there is no place like home.


these are for you Liz

Image

just in case the way back machine is busy.

Raven
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:18 pm

Raven wrote:
Liz wrote:I like the way you think, KY. There are some events I would like to have witnessed first hand. One of them would be the POTC premiere at Disney. Woodstock would be another. I would have liked to have been in Berkeley to watch Mario Savio in action, too. And, of course, Hunter's blastoff would have been a must see. I'm assuming that the Way Back Machine would take us home again when we were ready because I think I must agree that there is no place like home.


these are for you Liz

Image

just in case the way back machine is busy.

Raven


:applause: :snoopydances: :biglaugh:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
CarrieKY
Posts: 2424
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:00 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky ~ Cincinnati

Status: Offline

Unread postby CarrieKY » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:27 pm

Liz wrote:
Raven wrote:
Liz wrote:I like the way you think, KY. There are some events I would like to have witnessed first hand. One of them would be the POTC premiere at Disney. Woodstock would be another. I would have liked to have been in Berkeley to watch Mario Savio in action, too. And, of course, Hunter's blastoff would have been a must see. I'm assuming that the Way Back Machine would take us home again when we were ready because I think I must agree that there is no place like home.


these are for you Liz

Image

just in case the way back machine is busy.

Raven


:applause: :snoopydances: :biglaugh:



Yes! Me too!

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:41 pm

The Way Back Machine used to visit many different times in history as I reacall so let's assume we can too. It was Peabody and his pet boy Sherman on the Bullwinkle Show. I would like to go back and visit many different times. Ancient Greece and Rome, Egypt, the Mayan and Aztec Empires. I'm with Sands on the curly wigs and billowy white shirts...On a covered wagon moving west, New York at the turn of the century and Paris in the twenties. I would love to have a conversation with Eleanor Roosevelt. But, like most of you, I honestly wouldn't trade my times and my creature comforts for very long!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
JD101
Posts: 3414
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:15 pm
Location: The back seat of the Red Shark

Status: Offline

Unread postby JD101 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:03 pm

Bix wrote:Were Mr. Peabody and Sherman a segment on Bullwinkle? God, I wish they'd bring back Bullwinkle. I think it would still be funny and satirical today, it was so well done.

I think we talked about this in another thread with regards to where we could see Johnny going back to in the past, and many of us chose Paris in the 20's. And I think I have to choose that for myself, too. Rainey, I love the flapper look too and the cloche hats and T-strap shoes. And of course, I'm also factoring in that I would have been a part of the ex-patriot scene, going to all the fabulous salons and meeting Gertrude and Alice B. and Picasso and Daighilev and Nijinski and Cocteau and Erik Satie and Stravinsky and Hemingway and James Baldwin and Josephine Baker - and, of course, Gerald and Sara Murphey and Scott and Zelda. Sigh!


Yep, I'd be right there with you. Paris, turn of the century through the 20's. I remember when I first read about Diaghilev's Ballets Russes when I was about 15, it was the only time frame that I ever felt an affinity for other than my own time. I remember I heard the name 'Nijinski' in a T-Rex song and I wanted to know what he was referring to so I looked it up and was hooked. I devoured everything I could find out about that time and place, art, politics, music, literature, it was all facinating to me.

I would never want to go back further than that. I'd have to have plumbing and some sense of sanitation.
"The greatest pain that comes from love is loving someone you can never have." ~ Unknown

User avatar
fansmom
Posts: 2059
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:50 pm
Location: Olney, Maryland

Status: Offline

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:11 pm

A college my daughter is interested in has an essay question on its application that is something along the lines of "If you could be anyone for a year, state who would you be and why." She hasn't written the essay yet, but we (ok, mostly me) have had a really good time speculating, and this question really reminds me of that.

Unless I could have my contact lenses and blow dryer, I'm not sure how far back I'd want to go. Not to mention antibiotics and birth control. :blush:

Oh, and DITHOT, I'm with you on Eleanor R., too. I took a guided walking tour of part of Washington yesterday that focused on her life. Fascinating woman.

User avatar
JD101
Posts: 3414
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:15 pm
Location: The back seat of the Red Shark

Status: Offline

Unread postby JD101 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:19 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:The Way Back Machine used to visit many different times in history as I reacall so let's assume we can too. It was Peabody and his pet boy Sherman on the Bullwinkle Show. I would like to go back and visit many different times. Ancient Greece and Rome, Egypt, the Mayan and Aztec Empires. I'm with Sands on the curly wigs and billowy white shirts...On a covered wagon moving west, New York at the turn of the century and Paris in the twenties. I would love to have a conversation with Eleanor Roosevelt. But, like most of you, I honestly wouldn't trade my times and my creature comforts for very long!


Well in that case I would like to visit pyramid building kings of Egypt, I'd love to hit England around the time the druids were building stonehenge, I guess I want to know how these things were built.

I would want to visit Georgia O'keefe. I would want to be in the studio when the Beatles were recording 'The White Album'. I'd like to have really been in the Red Shark on that weekend in LV. I would like to see Janis Joplin and Bob Marley perform live.

Hey, wasn't there a segment of Sherman and Mr Peabody called Fractured Fairy Tales? I always liked that title!
"The greatest pain that comes from love is loving someone you can never have." ~ Unknown

User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1504
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:47 am
Location: This is Bat Country!
Contact:

Status: Offline

Unread postby Raven » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:21 pm

[quote="
Hey, wasn't there a segment of Sherman and Mr Peabody called Fractured Fairy Tales? I always liked that title![/quote]

ohhh that was a good cartoon too.
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid

and the envious."

John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:40 pm

And I would like to visit London in 1966 or 67, the Haight-Ashbury in '67and '68, and revisit where I was in 1973, 1977, 1979, 1984 and 1985.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1504
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:47 am
Location: This is Bat Country!
Contact:

Status: Offline

Unread postby Raven » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:42 pm

Liz wrote:And I would like to visit London in 1966 or 67, the Haight-Ashbury in '67and '68, and revisit where I was in 1973, 1977, 1979, 1984 and 1985.


would you like to share why?

just being nosy.
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid

and the envious."

John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

User avatar
Rainey
Posts: 1563
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:35 am
Location: Missouri

Status: Offline

Unread postby Rainey » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:46 pm

Raven wrote:
Rainey wrote:
Raven wrote:
Rainey wrote:
Raven wrote:Oh NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman!!!!!!!!

I am so old, must rest, I need to lay down......

Raven


:lol: The only reason I know is because my mom filmed a couple of shows when she was younger and she still had them for me to watch.


thanks Rainey I feel younger again......... :-/


Sorry, Raven. :-/ But look on the brightside, anyone who loves Johnny, is young at heart! :heart2:


ok I forgive you Rainey, I want your address and phone number I am going to call you in 25 years and let you know how young you are cuz you still love Johnny!Image


:lol: I'll be sure to do that, Raven!
It's beauty that captures your attention; personality which captures your heart.


Return to “The Monday Night Thread”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests