Sunday Night Thread ~ The Way Back Machine

Moderator: Liz

JD101

Unread postby JD101 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:44 am

dharma_bum wrote:
Bix wrote:Were Mr. Peabody and Sherman a segment on Bullwinkle? God, I wish they'd bring back Bullwinkle. I think it would still be funny and satirical today, it was so well done.

I think we talked about this in another thread with regards to where we could see Johnny going back to in the past, and many of us chose Paris in the 20's. And I think I have to choose that for myself, too. Rainey, I love the flapper look too and the cloche hats and T-strap shoes. And of course, I'm also factoring in that I would have been a part of the ex-patriot scene, going to all the fabulous salons and meeting Gertrude and Alice B. and Picasso and Daighilev and Nijinski and Cocteau and Erik Satie and Stravinsky and Hemingway and James Baldwin and Josephine Baker - and, of course, Gerald and Sara Murphey and Scott and Zelda. Sigh!

Liz, Bix, 101, Rainey... shall we rendezvous at Aux Deux Magots for Pastis?

I'm there! Crank up that machine!!!
"The greatest pain that comes from love is loving someone you can never have." ~ Unknown

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:14 am

nebraska wrote: Yes, the American Indians before the whites came and destroyed their way of life! That would be a good place to visit, although I think a woman's life was rather difficult.

I am afraid I don't have much imagination where this question is concerned. I often wish I had some of the life my mother had -- in the 40s and 50s life was more settled, she didn't have as much freedom and choice as I have now, but she had the security of knowing what was expected. There were some "absolutes" in life, and although they were somewhat limiting, they also gave comfort and peace.

Another time? Maybe the early to mid 60s when I made a lot of important life choices before I was really equipped to make them. Wouldn't mind starting over if I could make the most of another chance.

Can you tell I am feeling over tired and overwhelmed these days? Have missed most of the F&L discussion and I hate that.

Interesting choices, GG & Nebraska. I hadn't thought of going back to be among the American Indians. And Nebraska, we wish you could have participated more, but life calls, right? I'm just lucky I've been able to spend as much time here as I have.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:33 pm

Liz wrote:
Raven wrote:
Liz wrote:And I would like to visit London in 1966 or 67, the Haight-Ashbury in '67and '68, and revisit where I was in 1973, 1977, 1979, 1984 and 1985.

would you like to share why?

just being nosy.

I don't mind as long as we ask the other Noodlemantra who listed years--QofK. :lol:

1973--graduated from high school, went away to college--very fun. One of the best years of my life. Of course, my grades weren't too good.

1977--graduated from college, met DH. Need I say more?

1979--lived in Berkeley (hated to leave) and married DH.

1984 & 85 -- loved the music, my career, my relationships, had confidence. Life was exciting and stimulating--very similar to now.

Forgot a couple of other years -- 1989, when my son was born and 1994, when my daughter was born. So basically, these were the best years of my life.

Okay, I guess this deserves an explaination, since you told about yours, Liz.

1973 was a very amazing year in my life, especially for a 12-year-old girl who had just discovered the freedom to do pretty much as she pleased and could pass for 15 or 16 years old. Left to my own devices in LA, I met a lot of very cool, talented people who influenced the course of my life. My dad bought me a guitar. I wrote my first songs.

1976 -- I was 15. I was in a band. I saw lots and lots of concerts. I was in love. I got published for the first time. I saw the Grateful Dead for the first time. I hung out with people whose work I admired. I got advice from people I idolized.

1978 -- My friends from LA came and visited NYC. I graduated from high school. I sold a painting. I travelled with a band for a week. I went to art school and met a lot more people as crazy as I was. I was in 2 films. (Don't ask which ones because, trust me, you've never seen them. lol.) We recorded a demo. I was in love.

1981 -- Something happened that year and I wish I could go back and do it over and fix it. Well, change it. And I am crying just thinking about it, so that's all I can say about that.

DepplySmitten

Unread postby DepplySmitten » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:46 pm

Oh QueenofKings..your life sounds so interesting. Think of the things you have seen :-O ! Thank you for sharing...it's so much fun to hear about!
About the things in life you cannot change....
We all have moments or decisions in life we either regret and wished we would have handled them differently, I certainly do! These decisions we make in our past only help to mold and shape who we are now, and I think your a pretty amazing person now! Have no regrets. You would not be the person you are if you could have chosen a different path! :grouphug: :love:

Sands

Unread postby Sands » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:33 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:specific time though would have to be something like Woodstock or even being a Brit the Isle of Wight Festival. I would be happy to have been able to go to any of the big festival events during the 70's like Led Zepplin or the Rolling Stones at Knebworth.

You sparked off a few memories for me there GG. The summer I turned 16 (1969) my parents allowed me to go on holiday with a friend, on our own, for the first time in a caravan in Cornwall. We were supposed to be 'proving we were responsible and mature', but actually we decided to hitch-hike over to the Isle of Wight to see Bob Dylan at the festival. It was the first time I'd seen 'real hippies' and the whole psychedelic scene and it blew my mind :-O . I was never the same again.

Two years later I went to the first Bath Festival (forerunner of Glastonbury) and by that time I'd become a lot more familiar with the sixties scene. I got so stoned I couldn't even make it out of my tent and missed most of the bands :-/
'Well, it's a little difficult for me to tell right now because I'm kind of having a bad day'

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:15 pm

sands wrote: The summer I turned 16 (1969) my parents allowed me to go on holiday with a friend, on our own, for the first time in a caravan in Cornwall. We were supposed to be 'proving we were responsible and mature', but actually we decided to hitch-hike over to the Isle of Wight to see Bob Dylan at the festival.

Pulled that one a few times myself, sands - "proving I was mature and responsible". Let's just say I didn't fall for it when my kids tried to pull it over on me! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Tigress

Unread postby Tigress » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:41 pm

Well, I wasn't around last night (high school+4 tests=tired me), but I'm here now! I haven't read this whole thread yet, so I may be repeating. I've skimmed over some, read some and totally skipped over a page lol.

This was E-mailed to me about 6 months ago from my brother's girlfriend (who is about 5 years older than me)

Close your eyes, and go back...

Before the Internet or AIM

Before semi automatics and crack

Before SEGA or Super Nintendo...

Way back...

I'm talking about hide and go seek at dusk.

Red light, Green light.

Playing kickball & dodgeball until your porch light came on.

Mother May I?

Red Rover

Hula Hoops

Running through the sprinkler

Happy Meals

Wait...

Watching Saturday Morning cartoons

Or what about legends of the hidden temple, Eureka's castle, solute your shorts, rugrats, global guts, sailor moon, double dare, and ARE YOU AFFRAID OF THE DARK!

who could forget Snick

Fat Albert, Road Runner, Smurfs, Picture Pages, G-Force & He-Man & Wonder Woman

And Scooby Doo Underoos

Playing Dukes of Hazard

Catching lightning bugs in a jar

Your first day of school

Bedtime Prayers and Goodnight Kisses

Climbing trees

Getting an ice cream off the ice cream truck

A million mosquito bites and sticky fingers

Jumping down the steps

Jumping on the bed

Pillow fights

Running till you were out of breath

Laughing so hard that your stomach hurt

Being tired from playing

Your first crush...

Rainy days at school meant playing "Heads up 7UP" in the classroom. Remember that?

I'm not finished yet...

Kool-Aid was the drink of the summer

Giving your friends a ride on your handlebars

Wearing your new shoes on the first day of school

Class Field Trips

When nearly everyone's mom was at home when the kids got there.

When a quarter seemed like a fair allowance, and another quarter a Miracle.

When your parents took you to McDonalds and you were so cool.

I want to go back to the time when...

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo"

Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "do over!"

"Race issues" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.

Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in monopoly

Catching fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening

It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends.

Being old, referred to anyone over 20.

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was cooties.

Nobody was prettier than Mom

Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better

It was a big deal to finally be tall enough to ride the "big people" rides at the amusement park.

Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.

Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dog-dare"

Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles.

I also remeber watching saved by the bell after school.

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.

Water balloons were the ultimate, ultimate weapon.

Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED!!!

Even though I'm only 14 and haven't been through a lot (OK, well, anything really lol), when I read this, I just thought about how much easier it was when I was younger than, I don't know, 10, and I know it's only going to get harder from here. I just remember that when I was 7, the worst thing that could happen was skinned knees, and my worst fear was something no one ever really thought would happen - parents getting a divorce. My since then, my parents have gotten separated. As hard as I took it, and taking all of my anger out on my mom, I wish I could have that back and do some of it over.

Then there are the things like a Rolling Stones concert in the '60s! I can't even imagine how crazy and fun that would be.

And I think someone mentioned this about their father (I THINK). They wanted to be there for when their father got home from WWII. I wish I could have been here when my grandfather and grandmother came over from England, in 1945 after the war. To be able to greet them at the dock would have been the best.

AND (last one, I promise) I kind of wish I could have October 10th 2003 back. It was my first Johnny movie (other than ES, but I didn't know it was him when I watched that one), and it was Pirates. It must have been the most fun I've had in my entire (short) life. I was with both of my cousins, and we were hyper as ever. It was hilarious. So many of my memories (and my cousin's) go back to that day. We connect anything that has to do with the theater to that day. It's only a week away and it'll be 2 years. I can't wait!!

Now I'll go read more of this thread. What I've read so far has been so interesting. Thinking about it now, I'd really love to go back and live life with some of you who grew up in the '60s, '70s and '80s. I think I missed out on so much from then.
**I don't try to be Captain Weird, I just do what I do**
~Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars~ Casey Kasem

Sands

Unread postby Sands » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:11 pm

That's a great post Tigress (especially after a long day at high school and 4 tests :-/ ) I think what it really brings out is that the really important stuff in life doesn't change. All of us whether we're 14 or 40 or older can relate to those things and remember when life was that way, even if the details are different.

As it happens, the first pop concert I ever went to was the Rolling Stones in 1964, not long after their first album came out. It was just after my eleventh birthday so my Mum came with me and she was nearly deafened by the screaming girls. I have to say she was a good sport though. I saw them again (without my Mum) in '66 and was able to let my hair down a bit more that time and scream along with everyone else :lol:

Some of you talking about going back and meeting your ancestors has made me think about that. I've traced my family history way back and would dearly love to meet some of the people I've researched. Like 14 year old Patrick who joined the army to escape the Irish famine and went straight to the Crimean War, or Florence who left home at 10 years old to work as a servant, and so many others. Not to mention the ones I've tried to trace and failed - now I'd love a time-machine to track them down.

Oh and DITHOT, yes my own irresponsible youth did make it much harder for my own kids to pull those kind of stunts with me. I almost felt sorry for them. Though sometimes I would just turn a blind eye and let them think they were getting away with it. I mean you've got to have some fun ;-)
'Well, it's a little difficult for me to tell right now because I'm kind of having a bad day'

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:42 pm

sands wrote: Though sometimes I would just turn a blind eye and let them think they were getting away with it. I mean you've got to have some fun ;-)

:slick: Indeed!

Tigress, thanks for taking the time to post after your long day! You are going to have a great time making memories as you go on down the road and people in the future will be wishing they could do what you have done. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:42 am

I'll be totally shallow and say I'd like to go back to c. June 1998,to that certain hotel in Paris,just to see that first meeting and then be a fly on the wall after that :capnjack: ..But really,I'd love to go back to the court of Elizabeth 1,in the sixteenth century and just be a part of the art and culture and the court..what a fascinating woman she was..[Just as long as I didn't get any nasty diseases :-O ]...
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:45 am

Great post Tigress , oh the days of being young enough to not have a care in the world ...

I liked reading the posts here ! I agree , woman in this time have alot easier life then hundreds of years ago . Even so , when I am reading a book like The Mists of Avalon , about King Arthur 's time , I find it very fasinating to read about the woman of that period.
In my own life to go back to the years when I was 22 , or 23 , that were my happiest times , being in love , having a great job , a nice place to live , a great bunch of friend to go out with and have fun , those were the days !
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

JD101

Unread postby JD101 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:04 am

Sands wrote:
Two years later I went to the first Bath Festival (forerunner of Glastonbury) and by that time I'd become a lot more familiar with the sixties scene. I got so stoned I couldn't even make it out of my tent and missed most of the bands :-/

LOL! Too true too true. Ya know there's a saying (probably a bumper sticker... our modern day sages) that says if you remember the 60's you probably weren't there!
"The greatest pain that comes from love is loving someone you can never have." ~ Unknown

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:27 am

JD101 wrote: LOL! Too true too true. Ya know there's a saying (probably a bumper sticker... our modern day sages) that says if you remember the 60's you probably weren't there!

I just saw that on a birthday card too. A little marketing aimed at our generation I do believe. :eyebrow:

Wow! What a ride!

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:32 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
JD101 wrote: LOL! Too true too true. Ya know there's a saying (probably a bumper sticker... our modern day sages) that says if you remember the 60's you probably weren't there!

I just saw that on a birthday card too. A little marketing aimed at our generation I do believe. :eyebrow:

I gave that birthday card to a friend a little over a month ago. She enjoyed it.

Don't feel bad, Sands. I've gone to many concerts where I didn't remember what songs the band played. And sometimes I didn't even get to see the band I went to see.

Oh, and Tigress, great post!

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”