Sunday Night Thread ~ The Way Back Machine

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Sunday Night Thread ~ The Way Back Machine

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:30 pm

Tonight we take a trip in The Way Back Machine (bonus points if you can name the characters and the show this pic comes from :lol: ). We have been discussing the Sixties and even the Fifties and the Seventies. Some of you were there, some of you were too young, some of you experienced the decade in places other than America. If you could jump in The Way Back Machine, where would you go? Any point in time is fair game… :hypnotic:

(Must post and run…whelps and assorted crew are coming for dinner. Carry on mates, I’ll be back after a bit.)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Rainey

Unread postby Rainey » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:50 pm

I think it's Peabody's Improbable History. And, if I remember right, the boys' name was Sherman and the dog, Mr. Peabody. :-?

I would LOVE to travel back into the 20's! I think that was the most beautiful time. Just the way the women dressed, the flappers, those would've been SO neat to wear! I noticed in a couple of pics, Van had a 20's look and I absolutely LOVED it! So gorgeous! So the 20's is where I would go! :disco:

( Great topic tonight, DITHOT! :cool: )
Last edited by Rainey on Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's beauty that captures your attention; personality which captures your heart.

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:51 pm

Oh NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman!!!!!!!!

I am so old, must rest, I need to lay down......

Raven
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Rainey

Unread postby Rainey » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:53 pm

Raven wrote:Oh NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raven

:lol: The only reason I know is because my mom filmed a couple of shows when she was younger and she still had them for me to watch.
It's beauty that captures your attention; personality which captures your heart.

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:56 pm

Rainey wrote:

Raven

:lol: The only reason I know is because my mom filmed a couple of shows when she was younger and she still had them for me to watch.

thanks Rainey I feel younger again......... :-/
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid

and the envious."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:57 pm

Rainey wrote:

Raven

I knew I had watched them in my past, but I couldn't remember their names.

Still thinking on this question, DITHOT! It's a toughie.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Sands

Unread postby Sands » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:05 pm

Hmmm difficult choice! And of course the reality of any historical time was probably very different from our view of it.

But if we're talking fantasy here I would go for the late 17th century - Earl of Rochester time. I'm just a sucker for the long curly hair (yes I know they were usually lice-infested wigs, ssshhh! :shhh: I'm having a fantasy here), but most of all those lace-trimmed billowy-sleeved shirts just drive me crazy :thud: :drool:

And just so you don't all think I'm shallow, and since this is a serious literary community ;-) it's also because I appreciate the poetry and art of that era.

No . . . really :angel:
'Well, it's a little difficult for me to tell right now because I'm kind of having a bad day'

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:08 pm

Hi DiTHoGonzo,

ok I thought about this question while giving my old bones a rest.

If I was a women I would want to be here now. Wanna know why huh? huh? wanna know? We have more freedoms, better clothes, if you are young you do not remember the stuff we had to dress in even in the 50's YIKES! We have more and better everything now. ummm I think....

if a man.....

hmmmm now I have to think more.. ......

At the top of my head, I think I dont want to be a man.... unless someone can come up with something I like.

tough question.

and the envious."

Rainey

Unread postby Rainey » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:10 pm

Raven wrote:
Rainey wrote:

Raven

Sorry, Raven. :-/ But look on the brightside, anyone who loves Johnny, is young at heart! :heart2:

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:11 pm

Didn't thats cartoon have like a little short that would run with it some time about a Turtle? I loved the turtle stories.

Go back in time...take me back to Captain Jack's time, on his ship, captured and put in his cabin aka one of those harlequin novels....and, of course, I totally captivate him and he must marry me...and he was really pretending to be a pirate..and instead is a rakish (sp?) well-to-do gentlemen spy, etc. etc.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:18 pm

I dont think there is a time I would have wanted to live in other than today. Even though times keep getting worse & worse. The advantages we have today are better especially for woman. We didnt get alot of say in this world in the past. Forget that! I like my freedom! :cool:
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:20 pm

Rainey wrote:
Raven wrote:
Rainey wrote:

Raven

Sorry, Raven. :-/ But look on the brightside, anyone who loves Johnny, is young at heart! :heart2:

ok I forgive you Rainey, I want your address and phone number I am going to call you in 25 years and let you know how young you are cuz you still love Johnny!Image

and the envious."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:24 pm

I know I'm not going to be able to give just one answer here. First, I think it would be Paris at the turn of the century (20th, that is) because I would hope to be amongst people like Picasso, Degas, Monet and Manet--maybe even be a peer. Exciting times if you were an artist.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:26 pm

You know, it fills me with hope to see that two of you would pick today.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:29 pm

Were Mr. Peabody and Sherman a segment on Bullwinkle? God, I wish they'd bring back Bullwinkle. I think it would still be funny and satirical today, it was so well done.

I think we talked about this in another thread with regards to where we could see Johnny going back to in the past, and many of us chose Paris in the 20's. And I think I have to choose that for myself, too. Rainey, I love the flapper look too and the cloche hats and T-strap shoes. And of course, I'm also factoring in that I would have been a part of the ex-patriot scene, going to all the fabulous salons and meeting Gertrude and Alice B. and Picasso and Daighilev and Nijinski and Cocteau and Erik Satie and Stravinsky and Hemingway and James Baldwin and Josephine Baker - and, of course, Gerald and Sara Murphey and Scott and Zelda. Sigh!
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”