ONBC Sunday Night Thread - There Is A Season

Moderator: Liz

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:35 pm

My favorite seasons are fall and winter. I love the wind blowing across the beach and the leafs colouring in the forest . Great time to go outside ( though weather is not good on me - cold and rain ). I love winter because I really love snow , altho we don't have much of it in Holland. The time before Christmas is so much fun ( better then Christmas itself :eyebrow: ) . I love the decorated houses and that kind of things.

In fall we have big celebrations in my town , Alkmaar became free again on Oct. 8 1573 after the 80 year war with Spain. There are parades and concerts and balloon-contests and all the schools are free. In the morning there is a childrens-parade and all the school participate . In the afternoon the big parade.
When the kids where smaller they really loved it , and they still like it and everyone in Alkmaar , young or old , goes out to see them.

Maybe Johnny will make a real Christmas movie on day ( for his children - a Santa Claus movie ) :cool:
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:14 pm

I know it's not Sunday night anymore ( :blush: ), but I just noticed this thread now, and I would like to share my thoughts on the subject!

My favorite season is definitely fall. I love the weather, I love the beauty of the leaves as they change their color, and I love Halloween and Thanksgiving, my two favorite holidays after Christmas. My family also has several traditions that we do in the fall. We'll take little trips to certain parts of Indiana and Wisconsin and spend the whole day shopping and enjoying the scenery. It's really fun and something I look forward to doing every fall.

Summer is my second favorite season because I like warm weather, and I also enjoy the Fourth of July. Winter is my third favorite season. Christmas is my favorite holiday, which I realize should put winter higher on my list, but I despise cold weather. And spring is my least favorite season, because other than Easter, I find it to be pretty boring.

Liz, you mentioned 'awards season' in your original post as a possible favorite season, and I will admit, I do love awards season. I have followed the Oscar and Golden Globe races for years, even way before I started following Johnny's career. I have always loved movies, even from an early age, and I just find the whole awards process to be really fascinating. I always make it a point to see as many Oscar-nominated films as I can, and I try to see every nominated performance as well. I have even won some contests for guessing the highest amount of correct nominees and winners at the Oscars (mainly because I follow the races so closely). I don't neccessarily agree with who wins these awards every year (I actually find myself disagreeing with the final choices quite often), but I still find all of the awards show hoopla to be interesting.
"Breath. We tend not to think much about it. Each one is a blessing--every inhale, every exhale." -Johnny Depp

DepplySmitten

Unread postby DepplySmitten » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:42 pm

I'm a California native so I used to enjoy all the seasons, and I agree..if you were raised in CA, then you can totally tell the slight differences in the seasons. Now, I live in Arizona and can definately say....I hate summer! :lol:

Autumn has always been my favorite season though no matter where I live. I love the whole feeling of it.....the kids back to school, the excitement of cooler weather (although I'm still waiting...103 today :-/ ), the thrill of Halloween, which is one of my favorite holidays. In my neighborhood we have must a thousand kids, every one of them running up and down the streets trick or treating, It always reminds me of one of those Halloween movies, you know, the ones where it looks perfect, lots of children running amuck, laughing and noisy! Then Thanksgiving, a chance to get together with family. Mine are all in California, so we all get together at Thanksgiving. And after that it's ..........Christmas shopping!!! I love to wonder around looking for that one special gift for someone. Most people are in a fantastic mood, smiling, and happy, and it just makes the season so festive. Everywhere you go ..homes....shopping malls...and store fronts are decked out in decorations and everything is aglow!
I love the feeling that is in the air!

Theresa~ So glad to hear your fine, thanks for letting us know, I've been thinking of you! :love:

Nebraska~I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. I bet the Fall is also a time to remember her. :love:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:11 pm

Johnny Fanatic, I have always loved awards season too. However, it was just the Oscars, and the GG's sometimes. I even had two Oscar parties at my house. And this was before my JDOCD. I never realized how many awards shows there were until JDOCD.

DepplySmitten, I love all the holiday decorations, like you mentioned. San Francisco is especially magical at Christmas time. I love the tree that spans all floors of the Neiman Marcus.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DepplySmitten

Unread postby DepplySmitten » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:26 pm

Liz~ I didn't realize you lived in S.F.! I used to live in the East Bay! :cool:

That Neimans store is incredible at Christmas isn't it?

And San Francisco is just spectacular at Christmas time...I agree!

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:36 pm

Liz, I'm glad to hear that you enjoy awards season too! I'll admit that there are some aspects of it that I don't enjoy, but I guess my love for movies is the reason I like it so much. Awards season has been even more fun for me ever since I became interested in Johnny's career.

That's cool that you have hosted Oscar parties. I bet they were a lot of fun!

Another aspect of awards season that I like is seeing all of the different fashions worn on the red carpet. I love trying to predict who will end up on the best-dressed and worst-dressed lists (and again, sometimes I don't agree with some of the choices there either!)
"Breath. We tend not to think much about it. Each one is a blessing--every inhale, every exhale." -Johnny Depp

johnnybloom

Unread postby johnnybloom » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:42 pm

DepplySmitten wrote:Liz~ I didn't realize you lived in S.F.! I used to live in the East Bay! :cool:

That Neimans store is incredible at Christmas isn't it?

And San Francisco is just spectacular at Christmas time...I agree!

I will have to check that out! I am going up to Santa Cruz to spend Christmas with my daughter. She is at U. C. Santa Cruz. We decided to spend Christmas up in her new home! San Francisco is definatly on our list. I love San Francisco and have been there many times.
LIZ~~ Are we still on for that cup of coffee?
~3~
"Three is a sort of special number for me. It's a very creative number.
Triangle, trinity-you know, how two people make another person.
Three is a MYSTICAL, MAGICAL number."
~~ Johnny Depp~~

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:07 pm

Liz wrote:Raven, that pic is just beautiful--very artistic. You reminded me of my short brush with Washington. I almost moved to Puyallup back in the early 80's. I think it is a beautiful area, and Seattle is a cool city. It just didn't pan out.

Thanks Liz, I did not mean for the picture to be artistic really just the fog was so cool!

you live in SF? I love SF and it would be my only city after Seattle if I had to live in a city. Puyallup is just a short 20 mile trip north from us here. If you ever get up around my area you and everyone here should pml me in advance!!

Glad to hear Theresa is safe!!

Raven
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:13 pm

Johnny Fanatic, the group that used to come to my Oscar parties is not into Johnny. I'm thinking of inviting a different group this year--the ones who understand.

DepplySmitten, I don't live in SF. I live in Santa Cruz Co. I grew up in the East Bay, though--Oakland. Plus I lived in Berkeley in the late 70's. Where did you live?

JohnnyBloom, YES! I'm there. We are still on for coffee. We will meet across the street from Chocolate--the bistro that has the Chocolat movie poster on it's window. And next door to the coffeehouse is the boutique with all the Johnny posters. Just let me know your schedule.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:16 pm

Liz wrote:

Johnny Fanatic, the group that used to come to my Oscar parties is not into Johnny. I'm thinking of inviting a different group this year--the ones who understand.

That's a good idea, Liz. And just think if Johnny actually wins the Oscar this year for The Libertine :bounce: --it would be so much more fun to have fans of Johnny around to celebrate such a great moment! :cool:
Last edited by Johnny Fan on Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:16 pm

Raven wrote:
Liz wrote:Raven, that pic is just beautiful--very artistic. You reminded me of my short brush with Washington. I almost moved to Puyallup back in the early 80's. I think it is a beautiful area, and Seattle is a cool city. It just didn't pan out.

Thanks Liz, I did not mean for the picture to be artistic really just the fog was so cool!

you live in SF? I love SF and it would be my only city after Seattle if I had to live in a city. Puyallup is just a short 20 mile trip north from us here. If you ever get up around my area you and everyone here should pml me in advance!!

Raven, the one time I went to Seattle, I loved it. It reminded me of SF, but just on a smaller, more quaint scale. I loved Pioneer Square and Pike Place Market.

DepplySmitten

Unread postby DepplySmitten » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:40 pm

Liz~ You should definately have another Oscar party and invite some Depp friends! :cool: Can you imagine a whole house full of Johnny lovers... :-O :grin:!

OMG....now that would be fun!

I lived in Danville! Do you know it?

I haven't been to Santa Cruz area for quite some time, but it is sooo beautiful up there. How lucky you ae to live there! :cool:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:43 pm

DepplySmitten wrote:Liz~ You should definately have another Oscar party and invite some Depp friends! :cool: Can you imagine a whole house full of Johnny lovers... :-O :grin:!

OMG....now that would be fun!

I lived in Danville! Do you know it?

I haven't been to Santa Cruz area for quite some time, but it is sooo beautiful up there. How lucky you ae to live there! :cool:

Yeah, but I used to want to live in Arizona. My best friend from grammar school and high school lives in Chandler. I know Danville. I have another friend who used to live there.

truelymadlydepply

Unread postby truelymadlydepply » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:12 am

It has been great to read this thread, I know I am pretty late coming to this forum, just thought I would dive in and write a little bit. Well of course in NZ we are the opposite from the States and Europe, now heading into Spring, probably my favourite season. I like what I think of as the half seasons, Autumn and Spring, I love the light of Autumn, it is sort of more diffuse, and of course the colours, though they are not as amazing here as they are in say Connecticut where I once stayed with some friends. I am not a fan of winter, I sort of get a bit depressed even though where I live in New Zealand is the sunniest place in the country, I love being warm I guess though there is something good about a log fire in winter.

The other feeling I have about the subject of seasons is that I remember a song by the Seekers, eek, now I am showing my age, that goes something like: To everything there is a season and a time for every purpose under Heaven. I kind of like this song because I know in my life it has been true, that things don't always happen when I would want them to, but in looking back everything worked out for the better in its own time.

Well it is late, and I am going to turn in.
It's raining outside, a soft spring rain .....
"One time he, (Marlon Brando), says to me: 'How many films do you do a year?' I said, 'I dunno. Two or three.' He says, 'You've got to watch yourself. We've only got so many faces in our pocket.' "

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:43 am

Hi Truelymadlydepply. :wave: I was waiting for someone to bring up that song. :cool:

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”