ONBC Sunday Night Thread - There Is A Season

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:28 pm

Well, let's see, for natural seasons I have to say I really don't care much for winter........ I think it would be different if I could stay home and just look out the window at the pretty snow, but having to go out in the nasty weather and drive on that slick stuff -- icky!!!!!!

So, it shouldn't be a surprise that autumn kind of depresses me since it signals the downhill slide to winter. However, I guess I would also say that Autumn is my favorite season -- the colors and the crispness in the air, the fun of pumpkins and scarecrows, all that stuff. what is really strange is that I never really noticed autumn very much until my daughter died in October 10 years ago. I think something in that incredible period of shock and grief heightened my senses -- I can remember really seeing the beautiful colors in the flower arrangements and feeling the cool sensation of an autumn breeze on my cheek, looking up at the sky as if I was really seeing it for the first time........I don't know how that all worked, but inspite of it being the worst time of my life, it was also showed me the beauty of the season in a way I had never seen before.

johnnybloom

Unread postby johnnybloom » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:31 pm

I am pretty partial to late Fall and Winter. I like the weather cold and the idea of being in close quarters with those you care about. Something so loving and warm about cold Winter nights, snuggling in cozy comforters with those you love.
Being single right now...those I love would be my two Cats, KittyLou, the aging, slothlike eunich (you know snip snip..... Will Turner...) and the ever youthful black kitten I call DANTE.
I love when Mother Earth retires slowly into slumber and then hibernates beneath the chill.
Being from So. Cal some people think we do not have seasons. But having been born and raised here I can feel and see the differences.
I love rainy days, cool winds and when I can see the snow capped mountains of the Seirra Nevadas, even from the beach.
Theresa..I have been away from the Zone all day and was very pleased to see your name pop up when I logged in. Glad you did not blow away like Dorothy.....Good to have you intact.
~3~
"Three is a sort of special number for me. It's a very creative number.
Triangle, trinity-you know, how two people make another person.
Three is a MYSTICAL, MAGICAL number."
~~ Johnny Depp~~

CarrieKY

Unread postby CarrieKY » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:48 pm

Interesting thread, Liz.

I absolutely love Fall. The sky is a darker blue (ok, I guess that's when the smog clears out... :-/ ) the gorgeous leaves changing, the crisp air, and our first fire in the fireplace....ahhh.

There's something magical about Kentucky in the fall. I used to look at the riot of colors on the hills and think of Trix cereal, you know, all the different colors! :lol: I also love Halloween decorating. Lately, Halloween decorating has gotten as popular as Christmas in our area.

A yearly tradition in my family was the trip to the farm to find just the right pumpkin! They would serve cider, and apple butter on biscuits, and have pots of mums as far as you could see. It was delightful. :chill:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:57 pm

nebraska wrote:Well, let's see, for natural seasons I have to say I really don't care much for winter........ I think it would be different if I could stay home and just look out the window at the pretty snow, but having to go out in the nasty weather and drive on that slick stuff -- icky!!!!!!

So, it shouldn't be a surprise that autumn kind of depresses me since it signals the downhill slide to winter. However, I guess I would also say that Autumn is my favorite season -- the colors and the crispness in the air, the fun of pumpkins and scarecrows, all that stuff. what is really strange is that I never really noticed autumn very much until my daughter died in October 10 years ago. I think something in that incredible period of shock and grief heightened my senses -- I can remember really seeing the beautiful colors in the flower arrangements and feeling the cool sensation of an autumn breeze on my cheek, looking up at the sky as if I was really seeing it for the first time........I don't know how that all worked, but inspite of it being the worst time of my life, it was also showed me the beauty of the season in a way I had never seen before.

I'm sure that winter snow is a lot different when you have to deal with it on a day to day basis. When I go to Tahoe I can sit inside and look out at it or ski in it. But someone else can shovel it.

And I can feel what you are saying about Fall in regards to your daughter, because I experienced something very similar when my mom died in late Sept. 1998.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:52 pm

Fall! I hate it and love it.

Fall means winter is coming (this means rain, rain rain), shorter days, cold mornings and hot afternoons. I hate fall.

except I love fall, not only is it a fantastic setting for taking pictures. We alway go on vacation after everyones kids are back in school. the mornings are cool and the afternoons you get to get back into your shorts. the fall colors are exceptional, everywhere you turn the suns angle in the sky makes everything look exquisite.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/dawnsdogs/animated%20gifs/morning-fog.jpg

this is a picture of Mt Rainier taken this last Friday morning about 1/4 mile from our home.

Raven
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:16 am

CarrieKY wrote: I absolutely love Fall. The sky is a darker blue (ok, I guess that's when the smog clears out... :-/ ) the gorgeous leaves changing, the crisp air, and our first fire in the fireplace....ahhh.

There's something magical about Kentucky in the fall. I used to look at the riot of colors on the hills and think of Trix cereal, you know, all the different colors! :lol: I also love Halloween decorating. Lately, Halloween decorating has gotten as popular as Christmas in our area.

A yearly tradition in my family was the trip to the farm to find just the right pumpkin! They would serve cider, and apple butter on biscuits, and have pots of mums as far as you could see. It was delightful. :chill:

CarrieKY, I love the trips to the country pumpkin patch--one of my fav. events in the fall. You actually have smog in KY?

And JohnnyBloom, give me Southern Cal. all year round any day.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:22 am

Raven, that pic is just beautiful--very artistic. You reminded me of my short brush with Washington. I almost moved to Puyallup back in the early 80's. I think it is a beautiful area, and Seattle is a cool city. It just didn't pan out.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:15 am

I love the changes between the seasons,a reminder that the year is turning.I have to say that winter is my favourite season here in Queensland..You feel really alive, probably because you can walk for miles without being a dripping mass of sweat :-O The light also has a diffused quality to it,in comparison with the harshness of summer.Also,no snakes in winter..they are all happily hibernating :-O ..We seem to get more bird lfe in winter,or at least different types of birds that come south...There's one in particular that makes an eerie whooping noise..but is only here for a short while...The down side for winter is that it is so incredibly dry..Although I'm not a storm freak,the summer storms are spectacular..We sit on the verandah and watch nature's son-et-lumiere in the sky.....
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

es

Unread postby es » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:37 am

theresa,so glad that you could pop in to tell us you and your house are save.

well,now I am here iI can also join in the sundaythread.
I love the summer most,love the sun,seems also like I need the sun more since getting older,I used to love the winter always best,so thats my second season now.
fall and spring are no good for me,I always,since childhood,had a little depression in those seasons.
I like the cold/warmth not the things in between,cant handle that for some reason?

Johnny is good in all seasons I think.greets,
es
who laughs the last didnt got the joke,
freek&sjaak

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:41 am

Seasons, here in the Uk they all run together, we just don't get the Seasons the way everyone else gets them or how they used to be.
I think I like spring when everything starts to renew itself.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:24 am

I used to like summer the best, even here in Texas. Yesterday may have just changed my mind. I spent the entire weekend at an outdoor music festival. It was very hot and windy but yesterday it was 107 degrees! Fall cannot show up too quickly for me! My favorite seasons change as my life changes I think. When I was a kid and in school it was definitely summer. :bounce: When I had kids in school is was definitely fall because they went back to school. :lol: I love the winter because I love snuggling up under a blanket with a good book and of course Christmas. When spring comes I'm ready to be done with the short, dark days of winter and I'm eager watch the plants and animals come back to life (our baby deer start showing up). So I suppose they are all good in their own way. How does Johnny relate? He is a man for all seaons, of course! :thud:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:20 am

Like johnnybloom, I was born and raised in Southern California. We DO have changes with the seasons even though not as obvious as in other parts of the world. I used to love summer best, back before I became aware of the damage the sun can do to your skin. I used to lay out and bake at Newport Beach and when the radio announced "turn over time", we all rolled over. The work I am in has heightened my awareness of all the damage that can be done to your skin from the sun.......so all that's left for me is the heat. It gets up to 105-110 where I am in the summer and I have no use for that now!!!! My favorite seasons now are Fall and Spring...........Fall because it cools off and starts off a season of holidays and decorations, get togethers and fun. Winter varies from year to year. Last year we almost washed away with all the rain. But I have memories of owning a Christmas tree lot and dealing with hot Santa Ana winds blowing from the desert and wiping out our inventory. I live near a lake with the Cleveland National Forest on the west side of it. In the winter, if we CHOOSE to be in the snow, we make the 20 minute drive up there and run amok. Spring..............I think of daffodils, baby birds, crisp clean air... a new beginning for everything.

Like DITHOT says..........Johnny is a man for all seasons!!!!
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:10 pm

Welcome back, DITHOT! 107 in late September! Wow! I hope the music made up for it.

Gypsylee wrote: I used to lay out and bake at Newport Beach and when the radio announced "turn over time", we all rolled over.[/b][/color]

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: How times have changed.

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:14 pm

Gypseylee, I used to live in Newport Beach! A long time ago though.

I like autumn best. In education, it's a hopeful time, all about fresh starts and new challenges.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:21 pm

Liz wrote:Welcome back, DITHOT! 107 in late September! Wow! I hope the music made up for it.

Gypsylee wrote: I used to lay out and bake at Newport Beach and when the radio announced "turn over time", we all rolled over.[/b][/color]

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: How times have changed.

Good to be back! :bounce: 107 + sunscreen + sweat + dust = EW! :yuck: The music did make it well worth it. :sing: That and a long, hot shower when I got home! :-)

gypsylee, I used to turn to the radio too, baby oil and iodine slathered on! We are paying for it now though. :-/
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”