ONBC Sunday Night Thread - There Is A Season

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

ONBC Sunday Night Thread - There Is A Season

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:22 pm

Good afternoon/evening/day Noodlemantras. :wave: The Green Day concert I attended last night inspired tonight’s question. The lead singer, Billie Joe Armstrong, dedicated the following song to the Katrina victims:

Wake Me Up When September Ends

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends

Like my fathers come to pass
Seven years has gone so fast

Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are

As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost

Ring out the bells again
Like we did when spring began

Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are

As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost

Like my father's come to pass
Twenty years has gone so fast

In addition to reminding me of HST and F&L, these lyrics provoked thoughts about the seasons. My favorite season is Fall. I love the fall colors, the weather, Halloween and Thanksgiving. This, in turn, got me thinking of the various seasons we live our lives by--Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Hurricane Season, Awards Season, Football Season.

What are your favorite seasons? How do they affect your life? And how does Johnny fit into them?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Tigress

Unread postby Tigress » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:41 pm

Good Evening Liz!

I haven't been on the Zone in a while! I never realised how much high school would change my scheduel.

Well, if we're talking natural seasons of the year (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter) I just hate spring, for some reason. I could never figure it out. The only time I like it is at the end of Winter, and even then I don't necessarily like it, I just can't wait for the snow to melt lol.

I love Summer because... well, it's summer! Sun, the beach, swim team and swimming in general, and also because Canadian Idol comes on lol. I've watched it the past two years (of the 3 seasons they've had) religiously. I love it, and we always have a Newfoundlander in the top 5! I went to a concert last night, 10 minutes from my house, where the guy who placed second performed for almost an hour and a half, and he's a Newfoundlander. It was so much fun.

Summer is also when I get to see my dad and brother for two weeks, or two and half weeks. I can never wait. So summer is my favorite season, but not just because of the sun.

Summer really affects the way I act, actually. I get a lot happier when exams are over, and I'm waiting to go see my dad and brother, then Canadian Idol. It's a very good, happy, fun and relaxed season in my family.

When it comes to Johnny, the only way it makes that different, is that I get more time for him! I can just sit and watch a movie whenever I want to, and I can read the Morning Thread as it's going on (I never really did post there :-? Just a couple times). Also, he seems to have a movie opening every summer so I get to see more of him! And we all know that's always fun.

So as you can see, my summer is always filled, but relaxed. And I love it like that, it's perfect for me. I always have to be doing something, but I never want to do anything straining lol.

I'll be around for a while I think. I might disappear for a few minutes, but I'll be back!! :cool:
**I don't try to be Captain Weird, I just do what I do**
~Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars~ Casey Kasem

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:58 pm

Hi Tigress. :wave: Nice to see you. High school can be pretty all consuming--and can be one of the best seasons of your life. I don't like Spring either. I never have, and I'm not sure why. Summer would be my second favorite because it is sunny, warm and thus, cheery and because it usually involves traveling. I love to travel. :bounce:

I learned something new tonight. I didn't realize that Canada had an "Idol". :-D

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

cait

Unread postby cait » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:16 pm

That's cool that you saw Rex in concert, Tigress. :cool:

I can't say that I have a favorite season but favorite events or things to look forward to in each one.

Summer is the time when I can relax the most. I love being able to go down to my cottage. It's something I look forward to during those cold winter months.

Fall is always a transition. It's like a new beginning or a fresh start. It takes a couple of weeks to fall back into a routine or schedule but it is refreshing to be able to start again.

I can't say that winter is my favorite season but I love Christmas. Spending time with family, the crazy Christmas shopping, going to cut a tree, the food...everything!

As for award season, that makes me excited and nervous all at the same time. I can't think about it right now. It seems too far away and I don't need to get my hopes up!
Dirt...this is a jar of dirt.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:30 pm

I love Christmas too, Cait, and all the traditions associated with it. It's my favorite holiday. However, I'm not much on Winter--too cold and depressing. Christmas and the Awards Season are the only good things about it--unless I get the chance to ski.

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:38 pm

As strange as it sounds, I love all the seasons - or more, the idea of the seasons. By the time one's over, I'm ready and set to get into the next one. As I've gotten older (yeah right, 17, I know :) :rolleyes: ) I've come to appreciate the whole cycle more - where as a kid, it was all about summer, and fall was just a tedious transition to Christmas.

Right now, I'm very excited to be experiencing the New England autumn season coming up - mostly because my relatives are coming in just a couple days ( :omg: ) but also it's nice to finally reach a point where I'm content to appreciate each season and atmosphere just the way it is. For a long time growing up, it was all about visiting Florida in the summer, and laboring through school up here the rest of the year - but I've definitely realized the uniqueness to New England, in fall, winter, spring, all the seasons. Because of that realization, I've been able to fully enjoy the past few years, at least in terms of how the seasons change and how they're experienced in different parts of the country.

To relate it back to Johnny - in a strange way - I think I learned that appreciation of the cycle of seasons from Kerouac. And from all of you, strangely enough. Learning more about other people from all over the world and seeing everything connect the way it does with Johnny fans (on so many levels) - that all brought together the idea of connectedness that we all have that I never realized before.

Whoops - I do believe I'm babbling - :blush: But I'm afraid I can't really think of any other seasons besides the weather ones. The awards season comes to mind, but that's not particularly enjoyable, unless Johnny attends and we get new pictures of him, and even better, some with Vanessa, too.

Nice to see ya'll again, too. I haven't been around for the week -- but I'm proud to announce that I've finished F&L (and the Kentucky Derby piece) and Loved It :) :cool: Have a great week everyone!
-Kristen :lilyrose:

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:59 pm

I love the Spring and Fall. I think I feel my best in those Seasons. Spring is such a relief after th long hard winter & everything is coming to life. You get a sense of wanting to make changes in your house or about yourself, energized to get out & exercise more. Summer is great too but by the end of it, at least here in Ohio that is, Its humid & hot and usually we have had drought or flooding or both.

So then we come into Fall. The weather is starting to cool down, the leaves are beautiful when they change & my favorite holiday, Halloween, when the goules come out to play. Got my first taste of it last night. We went here again for about the fifth or sixth time http://www.thehouseofnightmares.com/ :gollum: :mwahaha:

I like winter but the Holidays are too much. I like to play in the snow though but hate the danger of driving in it.
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Tigress

Unread postby Tigress » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:09 pm

Liz wrote:Hi Tigress. :wave: Nice to see you. High school can be pretty all consuming--and can be one of the best seasons of your life. I don't like Spring either. I never have, and I'm not sure why. Summer would be my second favorite because it is sunny, warm and thus, cheery and because it usually involves traveling. I love to travel. :bounce:

I learned something new tonight. I didn't realize that Canada had an "Idol". :-D

I'm glad I could teach someone something! Yup, we have an Idol up here, and it's just as popular as American Idol is down there! It's the second most watched show in Canadian history (I think lol)... Don't know what came before it though. I thought I heard it was a French show :-? I'm not sure.

Cait, it was awesome! I was so excited lol.

Veronica, that's probably the only thing I like about spring. The idea that everything is coming back to life, and it's all starting over. It's like a breath of fresh air after the winter. But even still, I don't like that season, and can't explain it. :eyebrow:
**I don't try to be Captain Weird, I just do what I do**

~Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars~ Casey Kasem

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:11 pm

kristen wrote:Right now, I'm very excited to be experiencing the New England autumn season coming up - mostly because my relatives are coming in just a couple days ( :omg: ) but also it's nice to finally reach a point where I'm content to appreciate each season and atmosphere just the way it is.
Nice to see ya'll again, too. I haven't been around for the week -- but I'm proud to announce that I've finished F&L (and the Kentucky Derby piece) and Loved It :) :cool: Have a great week everyone!

Hi Kristen. It is a still a goal of mine to go to New England in the Fall. To me, that would be the ultimate in Fall atmosphere.

Congrats on finishing F&L. We've missed your insights during this discussion. I hope you can join us this coming week. :hope: The BIG questions are coming up. :omg:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:18 pm

V, that House of Nightmares looks really exciting. :freaked: I'm hoping this year I can convince at least one of my kids to go to the local Halloween Haunted House. They tend to get the fear, though. My daughter, however, has been asking to go to dinner at a local inn that is apparently haunted. She's into ghosts right now for some unknown reason. :-?

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:36 pm

Liz wrote:
kristen wrote:Right now, I'm very excited to be experiencing the New England autumn season coming up - mostly because my relatives are coming in just a couple days ( :omg: ) but also it's nice to finally reach a point where I'm content to appreciate each season and atmosphere just the way it is.

Hi Kristen. It is a still a goal of mine to go to New England in the Fall. To me, that would be the ultimate in Fall atmosphere.

Congrats on finishing F&L. We've missed your insights during this discussion. I hope you can join us this coming week. :hope: The BIG questions are coming up. :omg:

Wahoo :) I'm there, Liz - Hope I can make it, the fam's coming in Wednesday, but the great thing about the ONBC is that the threads stick around forever - so hopefully I can chime in on the Big Ones :cool:

And yes - the idea of New England being the ultimate fall experience is exactly what we had in mind when we started to get this gathering together. It's gorgeous, just such a great historical atmosphere about everything. Even I've come to love it, and I'm a southern/Florida gal. :eyebrow: :cool: so you'll certainly enjoy it ;-)

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:38 pm

Hi everybody!

Rest assured, I DO NOT like hurricane season! We sustained no damage with Rita, but I still don't have power at my home...I'm at my folks' house and the power (And the computer) just came back on tonight.

As for the season I do like...hands down, it's Fall. I don't think there's anything prettier than a tree that has turned a fiery red or orange. We don't see much of that around south Texas, okay, practically none of that around here, so I always plan a vacation in late October to the closest place I can find that actually has Fall -- up to the mountains in Arkansas.

Cool days, crisp nights -- that sounds like a piece of heaven. Especially right now, with 100 degree days and no air conditioner (power on at parents -- A/C burned out in apparent power surge before storm!)Yikes!

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:48 pm

Liz wrote:V, that House of Nightmares looks really exciting. :freaked: I'm hoping this year I can convince at least one of my kids to go to the local Halloween Haunted House. They tend to get the fear, though. My daughter, however, has been asking to go to dinner at a local inn that is apparently haunted. She's into ghosts right now for some unknown reason. :-?

its alot of fun, they have great makeup artist and eye contacts to really make them look scary. Its mostly college kids working it & a company that does this professionally. It gets bigger every year but its not cheap. 15.00 a person to get in. You go up to the 3rd floor & work your way down to the basement. When you come in the place you go through a pitch black maze, you have to feel the walls to geth through it & people jump out at you. the monsters do test you. they try to get you to touch them because if you touch them they say they can touch you. One guy wouldnt get out of my way, He was a wicked looking & kept standing in front of me and woulsnt say a word I finally yelled ahead & said move your friend pal. The guy came & told him to get out of the way. I knew what they were doing. punk kids! When you get to the basement. Freddy Kruger is waiting for you! :yikes: Its so scary down there. they have fog everywhere & you cant see where you walk. they had the floor drop down, Im amazed they arent sued for injurys.

Its Awesome Man! lolol :slick:

Oh and one floor is all scary clowns, Johnny would hate that part. Every movie monster you ever saw comes to life in that place and then some.
Everything is always okay in the end,

if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:54 pm

theresa wrote:Hi everybody!

Rest assured, I DO NOT like hurricane season! We sustained no damage with Rita, but I still don't have power at my home...I'm at my folks' house and the power (And the computer) just came back on tonight.

As for the season I do like...hands down, it's Fall. I don't think there's anything prettier than a tree that has turned a fiery red or orange. We don't see much of that around south Texas, okay, practically none of that around here, so I always plan a vacation in late October to the closest place I can find that actually has Fall -- up to the mountains in Arkansas.

Cool days, crisp nights -- that sounds like a piece of heaven. Especially right now, with 100 degree days and no air conditioner (power on at parents -- A/C burned out in apparent power surge before storm!)Yikes!

Theresa, so glad you are OK!--and that there was no damage. :snoopydances: I'm glad you now have power--at least at your parents' house. How many days was that? More than I'd be able to deal with. So are you headed up to Arkansas as we speak? I absolutely cannot imagine no A/C in 100 degree temps in Texas. I hope they have fans.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:57 pm

Veronica wrote:
Liz wrote:V, that House of Nightmares looks really exciting. :freaked: I'm hoping this year I can convince at least one of my kids to go to the local Halloween Haunted House. They tend to get the fear, though. My daughter, however, has been asking to go to dinner at a local inn that is apparently haunted. She's into ghosts right now for some unknown reason. :-?

its alot of fun, they have great makeup artist and eye contacts to really make them look scary. Its mostly college kids working it & a company that does this professionally. It gets bigger every year but its not cheap. 15.00 a person to get in. You go up to the 3rd floor & work your way down to the basement. When you come in the place you go through a pitch black maze, you have to feel the walls to geth through it & people jump out at you. the monsters do test you. they try to get you to touch them because if you touch them they say they can touch you. One guy wouldnt get out of my way, He was a wicked looking & kept standing in front of me and woulsnt say a word I finally yelled ahead & said move your friend pal. The guy came & told him to get out of the way. I knew what they were doing. punk kids! When you get to the basement. Freddy Kruger is waiting for you! :yikes: Its so scary down there. they have fog everywhere & you cant see where you walk. they had the floor drop down, Im amazed they arent sued for injurys.

Its Awesome Man! lolol :slick:

Oh and one floor is all scary clowns, Johnny would hate that part. Every movie monster you ever saw comes to life in that place and then some.

As my son would say, sounds pimpin, dude! :cool:

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”